BNC pricing

$19 at 100:

$1.25 at 100:

$1.26 at 100:

$9.22 at 315:

Pretty strange.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

There is no stock of the expensive ones. I guess I wouldn't order those. :^)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Plan for incremental profit:

Introduce a decent part at a reasonable price. Wait a few years to let it get designed in. Then multiply the price by 5:1 or so and introduce a very similar part at the original price. Some people will switch to the new part number. Some massive bureaucracies would spend a year or two and a fortune requalifying a new part, so just keep buying the old one.

That plays right into the "Copy Exact" requirements.

One potential customer told us that we would have to give them 366 days notice before we could change anything in our product or the manufacturing process, including moving any equipment on the production floor.

 Click to see the full signature

Huh, We've had schools (mostly foreign) that have "copied exactly" the student labs from another "sister" school in the States. Fine by us... we get a ~$100k order.

George h.

Reply to
George Herold

Just try to get SHV connectors, if you think the BNCs are bad. Simple ones are $50 each, special items like bulkhead fittings are $200 each, and you have to order 200 units for them to start the factory.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I'm a fan of these ones:

$1.25 each, solid metal, passes the cable stomp test easily.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Why are there two wires? Is one redundant on the two mounting posts?

I guess it's compatible with the plastic ones. Some float the BNC outer, some don't.

 Click to see the full signature

Yup. The plastic ones look a lot cheaper than they are, and won't pass the stomp test. Those things with the wires flapping in the breeze obviously aren't good to 4 GHz, but for my stuff they're th bomb.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I got a bag of these, last time I was shopping:

About the cheapest, awfulest you can find in that style. Nickel plating, so it doesn't tin worth a damn. Which isn't a show-stopper for my use, as most of them were soldered, edge-launch style, onto deadbug circuits.

When you're taking the time to tin them in the first place, you can take just a little more time and tin the shoulders as well as the ground pins. These connect to the PCB top and bottom ground. Lots of shielding, at least!

The plastic ones with two flimsy leads, besides failing the pull test, also fail most EMC tests! They're a shockingly idiotic design. Go figure.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Williams

The only downside I see is that they are multicomp... Newarks's cheap brand.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

They're reasonably nicely finished die castings, and look nice installed. They aren't like the old Amphenol machined-from-solid style, but they're a lot better than most.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I don't expect to get much below 2 ns rise/fall, so a cheap BNC will be OK.

Even cheap BNCs seem to work well to at least 3 GHz, some to 5.

I'm not planning to stomp on them, either!

 Click to see the full signature

We avoid TE lately. Several bad experiences.

We buy some nice parts from Shining Star, edge-launch SMB and SMA's.

 Click to see the full signature

Given that SMA and SMB are better than BNC electrically, it's mostly their physical toughness that makes BNCs so useful. I like the bulkhead mount, as well--it transfers the stress away from the solder joints.

I've stepped on a few BNC patch cords in my career, so I know!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

you'd have to be a bit more than violent to break SMA like this:

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

There are lots of ways of breaking SMAs. The most popular include (a) over-torquing and (b) letting the cable rotate as you tighten the nut. That wears out the gold plating super fast, leading to flaky connections.

And the ones you show could probably be cracked off the board super easily if they had a few barrel connectors hung off them, e.g. SMA F->SMA M-BNC M -> BNC F-F -> patch cord. That's pretty mild compared with your average research lab.

BNCS with nice threaded connections to a very stiff box are the ticket.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Not really. A little board flexing will easily crack the marginal solder connections on your SMA grounds. See:

Drivel: I deal with both BNC and TNC connectors. The TNC connector is much like a BNC with threads instead of a bayonet: The BNC connectors tend to fall apart if brutalized. They also wear out quickly if connected and disconnected excessively. The TNC connectors do much better.

Hair-splitting the differences:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks , did not know the PL259 was that good.

Martin Riddle

Even 8GHz is possible.

JW

Oh, I should have added that we used multi-comp stuff too, you may find that the next batch is slightly different. Or not.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold