Precision Instrumentation

The Universal pick-and-place is still crated up. People are coming in on Monday to patch and refinish the floor, so we had to move the pieces out of the way. The mainframe, on its pallet, weighs about 8000 pounds. It laughs at our old electric forklift. Two pallet jacks will lift it a couple inches off the floor, but no amount of human strength will get them to roll. And they have cylindrical wheels on the tangs, so even if you can get it to move, it won't steer.

So, I'm thinking, The Brat has a Jeep!

How did people build the pyramids? The thingies on Easter Island?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I think out there they've got Toyota Hilux'es :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

What's a mainframe?

--

Rick
Reply to

We won't know until it's unwrapped. But it weighs about 7500 pounds. To place milligram parts.

Precision electronic instrumentation

Geez, I thought my Philips CSM84 was heavy, at 1700 Lbs or so! It has wheels and leveling feet, makes it fairly easy to move.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

--
As opposed to the LHC...
Reply to

They used whips.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Hopefully the ground will be stable enough for that in your area. Once when I was stuck on the freeway very close to your building I felt it moving, even though all cars were at a standstill.

Will you operate it on the ground floor? I can't imagine the water-powered elevator to be able to get it up there.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Food.

Reply to
krw

Yes. Ground floor.

The elevated freeway wiggles perceptably, but the building seems quiet, between earthquakes. The Universal machines are built like battleships, so should be dimensionally stable.

The elevator is good for 2000 pounds. I woulddn't dream of putting that monster on the second floor.

We got a deal on a demo PnP and it turned out to be a 2-head machine. So we'll use it a half hour a day, instead of an hour a day. The dual-head might be why it's so heavy.

Precision electronic instrumentation

Cool. I'll try that.

or maybe

for the smaller employees.

Precision electronic instrumentation

Well, it is San Francisco, so they might like it.

Reply to
krw

... mainframe ...

Hello John

Some have argued that some of the stones have been moulded:

Chapter 1 can be downloaded (pdf): ftp://ftp2.geopolymer.org/geopolyme/pyramid_chapt1.pdf Quote: "...The proof is there. The samples given to me by the Egyptologist Jean-Philippe Lauer in 1982 are indeed fragments og geopolymers (see chapter 8), confirming my own X-ray analysis in

1982-84...A geologist not informed of geopolymer chemistry will assert with good faith that the stones are natural...",

Main page: The book: They Have Built The Pyramids ISBN 2-86553-157-0 (french), ISBN 0-88029-555-4 (english?):

Quote: "...Joseph Davidovits has found hieroglyphic texts describing the construction of these gigantic monuments! You will understand that all problems and paradoxes connected to the construction of the Egyptian pyramids are solved...We can dismiss from our minds the scenario of numerous thousands of workers crowded onto the work site at Giza shoulder to shoulder..."

-

The Easter Island thingies walked in place - mystery solved :-)

See for yourself:

Easter Island moai 'walked':

June 07, 2013, Easter Island's 'Walking' Stone Heads Stir Debate:

Quote: "... The statue moved easily. "It goes from something you can't imagine moving at all, to kind of dancing down the road," Lipo told LiveScience. ..."

-

Maybe you can "mould" or "walk" the mainframe where it should be?

Go figure :-)

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

Maybe use rollers, like largish-diameter steel or PVC pipe. If Egyptians and Romans could move heavy stuff, we engineers should be able, too. Or we can rent that enormous forklift again.

Precision electronic instrumentation

There's an app for that.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

The Egyptians apparently poured water (so say the experts, I'm not sure how they know it was water- the shape of the vessel?) to lubricate the sliding motion over sand.

Apparently Egyptologists initially assumed the liquid was some kind of purification ritual and not a way to reduce the required workforce by

50%.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

On 07/06/14 18.34, Glenn wrote: ...

Another Easter Island mystery surfaces - literally...

Easter Island Heads Have A Surprise !:

May 30, 2012, Archaeologist digs deep to reveal Easter Island torsos:

Quote: "... Van Tilburg was surprised to discover that a large segment of the general public hadn?t realized that what they knew only as the Easter Island "heads" actually had bodies. ... From her studies of these two statues, the archaeologist is convinced that the statues were partially buried naturally by eroded dirt, not by the Rapa Nui. She found approximately the same amount of dirt that partially buried the statues also filled the quarries located near where they stood. ... Van Tilburg?s excavations extended down to the base of the statues and revealed etched petroglyphs on the backs of the figures. She was especially intrigued by the repetition of crescent shapes that represent Polynesian canoes, she said. ..."

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

So, make a ground-effect machine. Two pallet jacks fit under, so maybe

50 square feet, you need compressed air at a little over 1 PSI to lift it. Be sure to have a few folk with ropes (or come-alongs) when the friction drops to zero!

Your floor IS level, I hope...

Reply to
whit3rd

Two totally independent heads, or two heads on one XY gantry? My Philips CSM84 has 3 heads, all within about an inch of each other on one assembly. Two have centering chuck jaws, the 3rd has the jaws removed and is used with a mechanical alignment unit. It is totally an old-school machine, no vision except the "beam sensor" for picking up fiducial marks.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Clever. And not all that hard.