COVID Can Cause Forgetfulness, Psychosis, Mania or a Stutter

The virus induces neurological symptoms that persist long after the pandemi
c ends

Incidence of insanity is expected to soar by a 100-fold. Investigators are
now discovering numerous ways the infection causes permanent brain damage.
Virus protein particles and inflammatory cytokines/ cytochemes set in motio
n all kinds of processes that ultimately damage neurons and hence brain fun
ction. This is all non-regenerative tissue and self-repair is more of a re-
wiring process if it occurs at all, and that takes a very long time.

This is not speculation, it is findings based on dissection of brain tissue
 collected from the dead.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/covid-can-cause-forgetfulness-ps
ychosis-mania-or-a-stutter/

Re: COVID Can Cause Forgetfulness, Psychosis, Mania or a Stutter
mic ends.

It can. In severe cases it can kill you, which is a particularly dramatic n
eurological symptom - your brain stops working entirely

e now discovering numerous ways the infection causes permanent brain damage
.

I wonder where that 100-fold came from. Fred is prone to alarmism, and can
find things to get alarmed about in rather bizarre places

ion all kinds of processes that ultimately damage neurons and hence brain f
unction. This is all non-regenerative tissue and self-repair is more of a r
e-wiring process if it occurs at all, and that takes a very long time.
ue collected from the dead.
psychosis-mania-or-a-stutter/

Most of the discussion was confined to people who had been hospitalised - w
hich is to say that they had gotten seriously sick. Anything from 10% to 30
% of them die. If you get that sick, there are lots of ways of getting inci
dental brain damage.

Covid-19 may have unique ways of damaging your brain, but i Fred's case it
merely seems to have scared him out of his wits.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: COVID Can Cause Forgetfulness, Psychosis, Mania or a Stutter
On Fri, 22 Jan 2021 05:28:49 -0800 (PST), Fred Bloggs

Apparently the covid virus also produces obsessive compulsive
derangement focused on the corona virus.

--

John Larkin      Highland Technology, Inc

Re: COVID Can Cause Forgetfulness, Psychosis, Mania or a Stutter

Not here; I just got very concerned with minor house repairs and
bought matching doorknobs...

The recent derangements I've seen related more to the Donald than
to COVID.

Re: COVID Can Cause Forgetfulness, Psychosis, Mania or a Stutter

Are you "handy" ? I have two sons-in-law who couldn't tell one end of
a hammer from the other. One has a PhD in Engineering Mechanics,
whatever that is.

I also know graduate electrical engineers who know basically nothing
about electricity and are mostly afraid of it.

I have a friend who is a senior technical manager for a cubesat
company. He didn't have any screwdrivers so I bought him a set.

--

John Larkin      Highland Technology, Inc

Re: COVID Can Cause Forgetfulness, Psychosis, Mania or a Stutter
On Saturday, January 23, 2021 at 3:26:17 PM UTC+11, jla...@highlandsniptech

Probably not a good idea. Having tools you don't know how to use offers a s
hort route to disaster.

Being handy with tools is a gift. I'm fairly sure that I've got it, and I s
uspect that I inherited it. My paternal great grandfather was a builder and
 joiner, and his son - while a draper by training - had a watchmaker's lath
e in in his cellar, and did enough paid work on it during the depression to
 keep his head above water.

I could have learned it at my father's knee - but didn't. A family friend l
et me loose at his wood-working bench from an early age, which was educatio
nal, and a year of wood-working and metal working classes at the start of m
y secondary education also helped - I got shunted off to boarding school af
ter that, which was a pity.

My father was an industrial chemist, but invented the mouse-trap rat-trap r
elay to let him use an alarm clock to control the duration of some experime
nt. The alarm clock couldn't drive a switch. or trigger a rat-trap, but it
could trigger a mouse-trap, and the mouse-trap could trigger a rat-trap whi
ch could drive a mains switch. Even back in 1942 you could buy stuff to do
this, but in the middle of WW2 the military had snaffled all of it (includi
ng my grand-father's watch-makers lathe)

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: COVID Can Cause Forgetfulness, Psychosis, Mania or a Stutter

Afraid of what, like 5 volts?

Experiencing a degree of anxiety with respect to high voltage/high
energy circuits is a pretty good idea, evolution provided that emotion
for a reason

Re: COVID Can Cause Forgetfulness, Psychosis, Mania or a Stutter

Yes. One guy wouldn't get close to a circuit board that obviously had
only a 5 volt supply. That makes probing difficult.

Well, he didn't last long. He should learn to code, with gloves and a
double-insulated wireless keyboard.

I don't think that evolution taught us much about safe voltage and
current limits on a circuit board. Until recently, nobody knew that
lightning was electrical, and circuit boards are new too.

One simple test as a clue to whether someone will be a good design
engineer: are they generally afraid?

There is no circumstance where "Experiencing a degree of anxiety... is
a good idea", at least among people who know how to think. It can be
protective for people who don't, but not always.

--

John Larkin      Highland Technology, Inc

Re: COVID Can Cause Forgetfulness, Psychosis, Mania or a Stutter

Some 5V supplies certainly deserve respect. They won't
bite you, but they can certainly burn you.

Jeroen Belleman

Re: COVID Can Cause Forgetfulness, Psychosis, Mania or a Stutter

I suppose 'handy' covers it.   Family assures me 'goosefiver' was an early
word (I pronounce it 'screwdriver' nowadays), and there's a magazine photo
of me wielding a hammer at a flooring install, when I was age 3.
More recently, spent a fair amount of time with lathe, ultrasonic grinder, and
some discharge machining, welding, electrochemical stuff (circuit boards and
other bricabrac).

Healing old doorframes and fitting or reworking doors for modern hardware is relatively easy;
wood plugs can be whittled to fit the old sockets and glued.   Tolerances are lots looser for
doors than for laser cavities.

Re: COVID Can Cause Forgetfulness, Psychosis, Mania or a Stutter
On Fri, 22 Jan 2021 05:28:49 -0800 (PST), Fred Bloggs

Let's look on the bright side for once, Fred. At least we were lucky
this Chinese bio-weapon escaped from that lab in Wuhan before it was
fully perfected. We now know what we may be up against from them in
the future and prepare our defences accordingly. Given what we have
seen thus far, it's unlikely to be a simple matter, however.

Re: COVID Can Cause Forgetfulness, Psychosis, Mania or a Stutter

I suppose there's no reason why some virus couldn't be developed that
kills 90%, or 99%, of the humans on the planet. Let's hope that
anti-viral research keeps ahead of weaponized-virus research.

Re: COVID Can Cause Forgetfulness, Psychosis, Mania or a Stutter
On Fri, 22 Jan 2021 13:47:00 -0800, John Larkin

It's a dangerous future out there. And there is no effective
regulation in prospect. The amateur experimenter in 10 or 20 years
from now will have at his disposal, all readily available, devices
which will facilitate the cutting and pasting (for want of a better
term) of DNA to create bespoke viruses. Consquently it's not hard to
imagine some proportion of these dabblers will be tempted to try to
stitch together some pathogen with the transmissibility of the common
cold combined with the virulence of smallpox (or worse).
 For all the threat of nuclear war which we have lived under for most
of our lives, this era may be looked back upon fondly as some sort of
golden age of peace and security by comparison. :(

Re: COVID Can Cause Forgetfulness, Psychosis, Mania or a Stutter

There was some sci-fi short story, a long time ago, where some small
country was threatened with invasion from some big one. So they
developed a lethal virus, immunized their population, and discussed
that with the invading army at the border or something.

Re: COVID Can Cause Forgetfulness, Psychosis, Mania or a Stutter
On Fri, 22 Jan 2021 15:20:59 -0800, John Larkin

I'm having second thoughts about the Covid jab, John. Tony Blair has
gone into one of his missions to encourage everyone to take it (the
Pfizer/Biontech one) which for me is a big deal-breaker. I do NOT
trust that bastard one inch. Aside from that, emerging reports seem to
indicate it's not as effective as claimed and has some unfortunate
side effects - including death. I think I'll wait until the
Oxford/Astrazenica one becomes available, or maybe just not bother at
all.

Re: COVID Can Cause Forgetfulness, Psychosis, Mania or a Stutter

I recently had two vaccine shots at once, flu and shingles. I was sick
for a week, broke 101F for a few days. Both arms felt like they'd been
hammered. I never get flu, so I should just refuse flu shots.

--

John Larkin      Highland Technology, Inc

Re: COVID Can Cause Forgetfulness, Psychosis, Mania or a Stutter
On Saturday, January 23, 2021 at 3:31:39 PM UTC+11, jla...@highlandsniptech

<snipped Fred Bloggs being stupid>

There are several hypothetical explanations for why you felt so bad. Since
both arms hurt, the likeliest explanation is that your immune system produc
ed a non-linear reaction to the combined assault, and what you should have
done is delayed one of the two for a week. Granting what doctors charge for
 giving shots, that might have been expensive, but in Australia you can get
 flu shots from a pharmacy, which is cheaper.

You haven't got flu so far because you have always had flu shots - they don
't protect against all strains of flu, but they do protect against the more
 common ones. Giving up even that level of protection wouldn't be wise. Tal
k to your wife about it - she may have been silly enough to marry you, but
at least she's not silly enough to post stuff on s.e.d.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: COVID Can Cause Forgetfulness, Psychosis, Mania or a Stutter

pandemic ends
rs are now discovering numerous ways the infection causes permanent brain d
amage. Virus protein particles and inflammatory cytokines/ cytochemes set i
n motion all kinds of processes that ultimately damage neurons and hence br
ain function. This is all non-regenerative tissue and self-repair is more o
f a re-wiring process if it occurs at all, and that takes a very long time.

 tissue collected from the dead.
ness-psychosis-mania-or-a-stutter/

There are no such emerging reports. In fact it is just the opposite:
https://www.statnews.com/2021/01/20/pfizer-biontech-covid-19-vaccine-works-
just-as-well-against-variant-first-detected-in-u-k-study-indicates/

Re: COVID Can Cause Forgetfulness, Psychosis, Mania or a Stutter

<snip>

The other adjacent big countries wouldn't have been impressed. Wiping out o
ne aggressive neighbour is one thing - wiping out all you other neighbours
looks rather like anti-social behavior.

There was a Christopher Anvil story about some biological wizards who sprea
d a particularly fast-growing plant on a border in the path of an invading
army, but Christopher Anvil wrote particularly idiotic science fiction - ev
en if John W Campbell bought his stories for Analog.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: COVID Can Cause Forgetfulness, Psychosis, Mania or a Stutter

<snip>

Mainly because half-wits like Cursitor Doom can post their absurd and malicious fantasies on forums where they come up without a government health warning.

According to Cursitor Doom, wouldn't know about it if there was.

Probably not. If you can't now buy concentrated nitric acid, your chances of getting your hands on gear that could be used to create a bespoke virus aren't going to be good.

Cursitor Doom doesn't find it hard to imagine all kinds of implausible fantasies - the kind of fatuous conspiracy theories to which he is addicted are full of them, and his feeble creative powers can manage a little cutting and pasting.

Probably not.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Site Timeline