Cool electronics with outside air via hose.

Gas lol.

I know it can explode... but it has never happened before... to me at least and I cannot remember any store of anybody else having an explosion... except maybe gas leaks... but I don't have those ;)

Maybe an earthquake could cause gasleak but then I would know... cause earthquake would wake me up.

But I do know stories of people getting electrocuted.

It ain't fun.

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Well you should come visit my place sometime and inhale the air outside during rush hour and such.

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Good point !

What if cold air first cools down stuff... and then later warm air comes along...

The maybe it would start to condensate ;)

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

In article Martin Griffith writes: |> |> >Yeah. I was in the position of managing various multi-million dollar |> >supercomputers, and made very rude remarks about the quality of their |> >real-time clocks. They were anything from 5 to 50 times worse than |> >my 10 dollar wristwatch. |> >

|> 1) yer watch has a digital output?

No, but many do.

|> 2) 5 to 50 .. what units, scale?

Drift. The major form of error with quartz clocks. 1 ppm versus 5 to

50 ppm. Actually, one particular supercomputer was over 100 ppm.

Regards, Nick Maclaren.

Reply to
Nick Maclaren

Seeing as it is summer here and obsessively hot and humid outside, not a day goes by that I don't think about a way to pipe the hot air from 3 PCs through a pipe and dump it outside. I'll put that on my to-do list. Page 7.

Reply to
TVeblen

It does seem a waste to buy electricity to run a few computers, which heat up a room, and then have to buy more electricity to cool the room. In winter it's not a total waste but in summer you wind up paying twice to run the computers. Seems someone ought to invent something like a house vacuum system so hoses could be connected to the wall and heat generating devices. Cable boxes, TV's, monitors, refrigerators etc. Plug in the AC cords, and the cooling hoses. Cost effective, maybe. Convenient? No Feasible? Maybe Maybe Doug Rye has an answer

Moe

Do you really think that you can keep pulling air out, without sucking hot outdoor air into the house? The negative pressure will pull air in form anywhere it can, including a crawl space, and areas that have been sprayed with pesticides. The outdoor air is humid, and could lead to black mold problems, which can make you sick, or even kill you.

What about the electricity to run the fans? If you want the heat outside, use the computer outside. An A/C is more efficient than the fan(s).

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Sporadic E is the Earth's aluminum foil beanie for the 'global warming'
sheep.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Certainly not, but the air outside is usually cooler than the air in a room with three computers (let's say 1kW). Actually pulling in air from outside can solve heat problems. This is all under the condition that there's no aircon in the building.

Don't spray pesticides near your house if you don't want it inside, too. At least not when your house has a "crawl space", i.e. is one of those cheap (but overpriced) US buildings, which have no proper isolation, and are very far from being airtight.

Black mold is mostly a problem when the dew point of the air *inside* is above the wall temperature - i.e. in winter, with unaired rooms (high humidity) and unisolated walls (cold). With the computers heating up air inside (but not adding more humidity to it, like sweating humans would), it's a non-issue. You can have summer black mold in tropical countries where the bottom 2m in summer usually are so damp that it's fog everywhere. Solution: Build house on stilts (then you don't have to crawl in your crawl space), make sure you use tropical wood which resists the mushrooms.

Actually, controlled air-flow similar in spirit to this idea in server rooms solves quite some problems, and reduce energy consumption (and is actually state of the art). You cool down outside air with an aircon (say from 30° to 20°, and reduce humidity), feed it through the fresh air channels (that's also where the crew works), heat it up inside the servers to 50°C, and then take it out through the backside channels. That way the aircon removes only 1/3 of the thermal waste of the servers, whereas a closed circuit airflow would require to cool the 50°C down to 20°C, and the normal way things operate (with unordered racks and no air flow control), you even need strong airflow at lower temperatures to achieve an intake temperature of 20°C, since the thermal output dilutes the air in the whole server room.

In most circumstances, you can use ground water for the cooling, since most non-tropical regions have average temperatures below 20°C, so all you need are some water pumps. In winter, you can heat up entire office buildings with your servers.

Scaling down that idea to three random computers in a room (e.g. one tower under the desk, a laptop on the desk, and a HTPC in a rack full of other equipment, which also dissipates heat) is far from trivial ;-).

--
Bernd Paysan
http://www.jwdt.com/~paysan/

Why so complex. Someone should simply invent a computer that generates cold rather than heat. You'd just have to switch from one system to the other between summer and winter. After all, if computers are general enough to replace stereos and TVs, why not go a bit further and replace heaters and ACs as well? Imagine the benefits: you could grep through your collection of past cold air...

Stefan

Reply to
Stefan Monnier

In my best Monty Python voice: Oh all right then! This sketch is now totally silly and I want it to stop right this instant.

Unless we want to talk about a perpetual motion machine. Take the heat generated by the PC and use it to generate electricity that runs the PC. Patent is mine.

Reply to
TVeblen

The problem is, you would have extreme variations of input air temperature, which would lead to condensation. It might not be bad, but ANY condensation in a PC is really bad. -Dave

Reply to
Dave

Maybe you could use your head with brain connected? How big must the hose be to get sufficent air flow? What would the rating of the fan(s) have to be to move the air thru those hoses at a sufficent air flow? Note the longer the hoses, the greater the resistance is to a given air flow. How do you maximize laminar airflow for minimum resistance?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Skybuck is a notorious PC nincompoop. I doubt if he can wipe his arse without getting shit on his nose.

Reply to
Marty

Which is why I'm surpriased so many people fell for it, and hence my original reply to his question.

--
SteveH
Reply to

How about an Acoustic Stirling Cycle Engine

Los Alamos National Laboratory: Acoustic Stirling Heat Engine Home

"The acoustic power can be used directly in acoustic refrigerators or pulse-tube refrigerators to provide heat-driven refrigeration with no moving parts"

Eric

Reply to
Eric P.

For a nincompoop he sure does get some long threads going tho. Folks must be bored.. Eric

Reply to
Eric

Hence my answer to him..

--
SteveH
Reply to

Here we go,

I think I'll get a radiator from a 56 Buick and the water pump and make a water cooled system.

Reply to
Moe

_____

Well, any condensation would be on the OUTSIDE of the computer case, and not much of a problem. Outdoor air, at, say 2 C and 100% relative humidity, when warmed by system components to, say, 30 C will have a VERY low relative humidity, perhaps only 20%. In fact, static electricity may be a problem, but certainly not condensation anywhere inside the system case.

You may be thinking of CPU cooling to below ambient temperature by Peltier arrays or phase change refrigeration. With these systems exposed components can have a temperature below the dew point of the air inside the system case. This can cause condensation. But such conditions are exactly OPPOSITE the conditions that obtain when introducing air colder than any component inside the system case.

Reply to
Phil Weldon

You mean that he has a 110 Ohm nose?

Reply to