Cool electronics with outside air via hose.

Could be interesting idea... to connect the computer to the outside air via hose/tunnels.

Except maybe in summer ;)

But in winter it would supply the pc with cold outside air instead of room temperature ;)

Bye, Skybuck.

--
"Milord, methinks that thou art a lowly quitter. Is this true?"
Reply to

Or you could just get in the bath/shower with your 'dream' PC - PLEASE!

--
SteveH
Reply to

bad idea

one word: condensation -Dave

Reply to
Dave

I once worked at a place where a power supply for a video camera on a microscope was designed inefficienctly enough that it needed air pumped in like this: Sticking fans on it degraded the images severely due to vibrations coupled to all the optics and their housing.

I eventually found the time to design my own switching power supply and get rid of the air pump. This was for a $600,000 piece of capital equipment for the semiconductor industry, and I was amazed that no one has previously called us on such a poor design. ("You guys can't even design a 35W power supply properly, why should we believe that your optics or image processing or motion control actually works?")

Reply to
Joel Koltner

In article , "Joel Koltner" writes: |> |> I once worked at a place where a power supply for a video camera on a |> microscope was designed inefficienctly enough that it needed air pumped in |> like this: Sticking fans on it degraded the images severely due to vibrations |> coupled to all the optics and their housing. |> |> I eventually found the time to design my own switching power supply and get |> rid of the air pump. This was for a $600,000 piece of capital equipment for |> the semiconductor industry, and I was amazed that no one has previously called |> us on such a poor design. ("You guys can't even design a 35W power supply |> properly, why should we believe that your optics or image processing or motion |> control actually works?")

Yeah. I was in the position of managing various multi-million dollar supercomputers, and made very rude remarks about the quality of their real-time clocks. They were anything from 5 to 50 times worse than my 10 dollar wristwatch.

Regards, Nick Maclaren.

Reply to
Nick Maclaren

Quick, patent the idea of opening a window to cool off a computer.

John

I agree about condensation... this idea seems quite impractical as better solutions exist. Though thinking about obscure ways to cool chips does remind me of this paper... which I actually thought was interesting.

Which was co-authored by Anant Agarwal in ASPLOS Wild and crazy ideas from this past year.

Neal

Reply to
Neal

There's a 1992 patent on bringing cold outside air into a walk-in cooler:

It has links to related 1970's and 80's patents. Personally, I doubt that this has ever actually been a new and patentable idea.

Here's a couple of FreeAire links:

-jiw

Reply to
James Waldby

Yes, condensation would be a big problem *UNLESS* it is catered for. Sykfuck's tube should be routed through a condensor stage which collects the water into a container with a small faucet. The computer user when thirsty no longer has to walk to the kitchen get some water, he only has to turn the faucet on his condensation tank.

Consumer resistence to this system could easily be overcome by judicious use of blinking blue LEDs and a built in ringtone dispenser.

Reply to
Marty

Actually I do that now,

I open the window so room temperature drops.

The room temperature was 24.5 degrees at which point my pc starts making a little bit more noise.

I open door for a few minutes and room temperature drops back to 23.5 to 23 degrees or so and then pc a bit more quiet...

This is what gave me the idea: why not guide cold air from outside to peecee...

Then I don't have to sit in the cold wind going through my appartment ;)

Because I set both sides of appertment open to get quick air displacements ;)

Somebody mentions condensation which might be a fair problem... but then again...

Maybe condensation would be at the hose... maybe it can be catched before it enters pc ;)

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Good point.

Condensation would need to be catched... before the cool air can proceed further :)

Problem solved ;) :)

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

vibrations

called

motion

1) yer watch has a digital output? 2) 5 to 50 .. what units, scale?

martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

There is another problem with this idea:

The air outside could be heavily polluted from car/bus/truck exhausts.

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Water + electricity/electronics scare me :)

For bbbbzzzzzzz reasons =D

Bye, Skybuck ;) =D

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Many homes have more polluted air indoors than outdoors though...

Reply to
Joel Koltner

How do you boil water?

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

Just submerge it in oil.

Last I knew .. condensation only occurs onto a cooler surface, when it comes in contact with warmer, moisture-laden air. The inside of a warm computer should be the last place you would expect condensation.

-vs-

Reply to
Virgil Smith

It's been done.

Tim

Tim Williams

Once I had to perform a radio system coverage drive test which employed

4 laptop computers, GPS, A/D converters and receivers in a station wagon. It became apparent in the first 1/2 hour that one of the computers could not take the Florida heat. So off to Ace hardware I went to get some flexible dryer vent pipe and duct tape. I used one of the A/C vents to force air into the keyboard of the faulty laptop and got my 3 days worth of drive data.
--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Treason doth never prosper: what\'s the reason?

"Follow The Money"  ;-P
Reply to
RFI-EMI-GUY