bring in outside air with out the out side humidity

Has one yet come up with a way to bring in outside air but not the humidity with it?

I would like to move fresh air around in my basement, I don't care about the temperature but I don't want to make my dehumidifier work over time!

Or do they make a small window unit with dehumidifier only that brings in outside air?

I was thinking of sucking air through a water wall but something tells me that would simply make the air very wet?

I also thought about a water wall with oil that will stay afloat on the water and when it got to a certain level it can drain off. At this point I am thinking that maybe the moisture would stay below the oil and collect in the water?

What do you think?

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

No.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

You can use a heat exchanger to lower the temperature of the outside air to equal the inside air, condensing the air where it can be collected but the air will still be saturated when it enters the basement. TANSTAAFL. I won't make it worse, though.

You can also run the vent only when the outside air has less moisture in it than that of the basement, reducing the overall humidity. This, of course, can't run continuously.

I believe there are "smart vents" that do both of these things. They're advertised as "magic", though, so beware.

Reply to
krw

I run my fresh-air replacement system from 3AM to 4AM to get the coolest air. But it also is the most humid :-( ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

What does that mean? Unless you mean the dewpoint is higher... The RELATIVE humidity will be higher if the outside temperature is lower...but the dewpoint represents the actual quantity of moisture and is what matters when sucking in outside air.

Reply to
mike

It takes energy to remove water from air. You pretty much can't do it passively.

Anything that exposes the air to water -- either your water wall or your water wall with oil -- will make it worse.

I can't think of any scheme that would really save you much over just bringing in some fresh air and keeping your dehumidifier busy.

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Wescott

There are various chemical dessicants, and many can be regenerated by heating. I have no idea how efficient something like that might be.

 Click to see the full signature

Actually works well in Arizona... we seem to have a lot of free heat ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

My bad. You're right, dew point is all that matters. I should have remembered that... about 40 years ago I was involved in a heavy duty study of evaporative coolers. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

This looked, to me, like a game-changer.

But haven't heard much about it since. You'd think that, if it worked, it'd be all over the news. Like Rossi's cold fusion.

Reply to
mike

  1. dehumidifier
  2. dehumidifier + heat exchanger to reduce energy use

Running it through water first would take out the dust content.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Oh boy, one of my pet peeves is that the weather people mostly talk about humidity, which changes with temperature. (take a patch of air and cool it and the humidity goes up.) Whereas what's more fundamental* is the dew point.

George H.

*fundamental is maybe not the right word... constant?
Reply to
George Herold

Grin, When I was living in Nashville and heard the dew point was in the 70's (degree F) I knew it would be a hot and steamy night.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Unless, of course, the water is so cold that the air is cooled to below its dew point.

--
RoRo
Reply to

Ummmm.... It would really be helpful if you would disclose how many cfm you plan to dry, and at what pressure.

I kinda like centrifugal separation by density. Water molecules are heavier than air molecules. Setup a vortex that will spin the incoming air and cause the heavier wet air to move towards the outside. Draw the lighter air from the middle of the vortex. One catch... it's grossly inefficient. It's common enough to use a vortex tube to separate hot and cold air, where the old air is denser than the hot air. I think it will also work for wet and dry air separation. It certainly works to separate out dust from the air. Scroll down to "Humidity Effects" table.

Then, there's the air dryer used in an air compressor. Basically a refrigerator to lower the air temperature, which causes the air temp to go below the dew point, which condenses that water. Commonly used in pneumatic tools. or build your own:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Neat link, thanks.

Here's another possibility, same caveats apply:

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Den fredag den 11. juli 2014 21.12.16 UTC+2 skrev Jeff Liebermann:

nope, dry air is heavier than moist air

O2: 16+16 = 32 N2: 14+14 = 28 H20: = 14+1+1 = 16

so when a molecule of H20 replace any of the main components of air, the air gets lighter

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

...therefore less buoyant; you're heavier.

Reply to
krw

Call your chemistry teacher (and/or your earth science teacher) and apologize for goofing off in class.

Air - 78% N2, 14+14 = 28 21% O2, 16+16 = 32, 1% other...

Water - H20 - 1+1+16 = 18 (unless you have deuterium, and that's still lighter than air)

Water is a major reason that bad weather and low pressure coincide.

As for the actual question, it's easy, but expensive one way or another

- refrigeration or dessication, somewhere you are spending energy for getting the water out. If you have lots of sun and enjoy tinkering with systems you can do it with solar (thermal) energy at least two (probably more) different ways (absorbtion-cycle refrigeration, and solar-heat-drying a chemical dessicant - which is sort of what absorbtion-cycle refrigeration does, just in a closed system.)

Ecnerwal

Oops(tm). Y'er right. I just hate hate it when that happens. All I had to do was look out the window and notice that clouds form at altitude, not on the ground.

Even so, it still might be possible to use a vortex tube to separate humid air and dry air. However, this article declares that the humidity is the same at the input as at both the hot and cold outlets. The Vortex Tube does not separate humidity between the hot and cold air. The absolute humidity of both cold and hot air, in grains/pound, is the same as that of the entering compressed air. Although impractical and inefficient, I'm tempted to fire up a nebulizer source and a vortex tube and see what happens. Hmmm... the vortex tube wants 80-100 psi. Maybe a tea kettle or steam engine instead of a nebulizer?