Via to track with size

Is there a rule of thumb of what size via/pad to use for a track width? I have 10 mil signal tracks and 40 mil power tracks.

Thank you everyone.

Ivan

Reply to
Ivan

Via size depends on a few factors. Small vias (10 mil and smaller drill holes) are used for dense PCBs. You may be forced into certain sized vias if there are extremely fast rise/fall time signals (controlled impedance). Small vias can add extra cost to the board.

Medium sized vias (13 to 20 mil drill holes) are used when you have the space to use them. No cost penalty for using vias this size.

Large vias (20 mil and larger drill holes) are used when you have high current signals like power. For large currents it is common to use multiple large vias to stitch layers.

You need to talk with your PCB house to find out what via sizes they can comfortably handle. It is one of the first things I do when dealing with a new PCB fab house. Also ask about the minimum annular ring they like to see.

Mark

Reply to
qrk

Thank you for your help and information.

Ivan

Reply to
Ivan