cool book (2023 Update)

In the remote event that any of you might want a break from electronics, let me recommend Nelson's Trafalgar by Roy Adkins.

It's all about Nelson and the history-turning battle of the British navy against the larger combined French and Spanish fleet, in October of 1805.

The story is ripping, but with nice tidbits. For example, scurvy (vitamin c deficiency) was a pacing item to far-ranging navies, and lime juice was one fix. I didn't realize before that humans are one of the few mammals that don't synthesize their own ascorbic acid from a carb diet. It was noted that sailors who ate rats has less scurvy; the rats converted whatever they found to c. So the Brits should have been called "ratties" instead of "limeys."

Reply to
jlarkin

Just ignore the sad old git. You'll be senile some day too.