Interrupting Mains Supply in Event of Flooding

Hi all,

I'm building a circuit to protect the house in case the washing machine outlet hose splits or comes lose, flooding the utility room floor. The schematic I'm following only creates a warning siren when triggered, but a lot of damage can occur in the few moments between being alerted and shutting off the power, even if I hear it sound, so I'd like it to shut off the power directly/automatically instead (and then make a warning noise as a secondary consideration, perhaps). So, how best to interrupt the mains? I'm of the mechanical relay generation but I'm guessing there's a better solid state solution around nowadays. Mains in my neck of the woods is 240VAC single phase, by the way and of course this will be an inductive load.

cheers,

cd.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Short the line and trip the existing breaker. If it's GFI type, it's even easier.

look for a simple way to trigger the GFCI, eg: 30 mA from live or neutral into ground. maybe use a relay or optocpupler.

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

I think that's what we call an RCD over here. In which case, since there's only one at the main meter, it would turn off the fridge/freezer and god knows what else as well.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Like a crowbar arrangement, you mean? Is that acceptable at high energy levels?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Why would an outlet hose split and so what if it does. It's under no pressure. Just make sure it can't disengage from the drain. Also, protect the supply lines with anti-flood devices (or hoses).

Power isn't that much of an issue. The damage can run into the tens of thousands anyway. If the power supply is where it can get wet it probably should be GFCI protected anyway.

Reply to
krw

No, Use a relay to interrupt the feed. ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | Oh Lord I pray... Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, The good fortune to run into the ones I do like, And the eyesight to tell the difference.

When I managed my father's apartment building, I had to build such a device to prevent the washing machinery from flooding the basement, which did not have a proper drain. When the power turns off, so do the various water valves, which is rather convenient. For killing the power, I used a latching relay. Nothing special, just a relay with an extra contact that energized the solenoid and held it closed as long as power was applied. Break this connection and the relay remains open until manually reset. I used overkill contact ratings so that I didn't have to worry much about opening and arcing the contacts under load. Still, you should worry about arc suppression. I probably should have added a time delay to handle power glitches and brownouts, but didn't bother. You might be able to use an SSR (solid state relay) but without the washing machine current specification, I don't want to recommend anything.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

If you have a GFI breaker, it will take very little current to ground to trip it. Small relay and a resistor or light bulb maybe, high side to earth ground.

Actually, replacing your existing breaker with a GFI breaker should do what you want with no assistance. Any water-induced conduction to ground will trip the breaker.

float switch & contactor, preferably bistable.

I just had one split due to being squashed

a little

often they can

or just 10s of minutes

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Happened in my last place for no accountable reason.

If it splits it'll leak anyway.

I'd sooner not go through the trauma of an insurance claim.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I've had a similar idea for replacing a grey water sump tank. If the sump tank over flows, Shut the washer main power via a relay ( latching is a plus as Jeff points out) FYI, we never had a split hose, but the sump pump cloggs once in a blue moon.

Martin Riddle

Or maybe a solid state relay: The trick is to power the water detecting circuitry from the washing machine side of this switch (through a transformer). If the power goes away or the flood water detector goes away, the voltage driving the SSR also goes away, leaving the SSR in an OFF condition. Not exactly a latch but good enough for the intended purpose.

This looks interesting:

I've managed to make it through life this far without ever owning a washing machine or dryer. I'll let the laundromat owner deal with the broken hoses and flooding. However, I have managed my fathers apartment buildings and my rentals, which were cursed with plumbing problems and destructive tenant problems. Most often, the ends of the hot and cold water supply hoses were mangled by tenants moving the washer around for cleaning, retrieving lost items, and for no obvious reason. It takes a few years for the rubber to ossify into a brittle and inflexible rock, after which any bending will crack the hose. I made it a point to replace these hoses roughly every 5 years. Occasionally, the water pressure would dramatically decrease and then radically increase when the water department was "cleaning" the lines. One such event blew out all the rubber hoses and water heaters in the building. Of course, the water department denied all knowledge and claimed that there were no other such claims.

I'm told that the new stainless steel hoses are improved because they last twice as long and cost twice as much: My guess(tm) is that it's not the cool looking stainless mesh that improves longevity. It's the reinforcing stainless sleeve at both ends that prevents making sharp bends. This improves longevity by controlling the bend radius and preventing the hose fitting from cutting into the heat hardened rubber hose.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

It won't flood the house.

OK, but you aren't mitigating any damage.

Reply to
krw

I'd hate to go back to that. Such a waste of time, and money. Plus I doubt they'd like washing electronic stuff.

Buy plastic rather than rubber, they last many decades without problem.

twice as long as rubber is crap.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The purpose of the stainless jacket is to contain aneurysms so they don't fail catastrophically.

Reply to
krw

There's not remotely enough pressure in the outflow of a washing machine to create an "aneurysm" (if that's even the right word in this context). There is enough pressure, however, to dump several gallons of water over the floor before you'd have time to hit the 'off' switch.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Right, so they make little sense for a drain line.

A couple of gallons on the floor shouldn't do a lot of damage. I certainly don't worry much about washer drain lines, though I did have one work out of the pipe. I just tied it down so it wouldn't happen again.

Reply to
krw

At high power levels they use real crowbars.

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

yeah AFAICT it's the same thing.

Perhaps you can install an outlet with one built in, (one that's more sensitive than the main one), and then arrange to trip just that one.

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to