Controlling a machine using +5 volts.. (mostly new to this stuff)

Hi there, I've been looking around all day for ways to control a 12 or

24 volt circuit through the use of a computer parallel port. The key things I'm looking for in it are the ability to handle up to 20 amps (fuse protected, of course), low cost, and small size. For more info as to what it's for, check out my group on Google:

Thanks in advance Lindsay

Reply to
barto.il.perso

Bugger, no chance of meaningful artificial intelligence then.....

DNA

Reply to
Genome

Look up "solid state relay", see if you find anything that'll do. If that won't then you'll either need to boost the current from the parallel port before it drives the SSR, or you'll need to pitch the SSR entirely and start learning how to make an itty bitty bit of current into a great big flood of current.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

Logic level MOSFET's are designed to do this.

One example: IRL1404Z would easily switch considerably more than 20 amps with logic-level drive. About $3.50 in onesies.

Reply to
Don Foreman