Where to find schematic for XAM Model 200 amp?

I just picked up a XAM model 200 amplifier. It was cheap, and I thought it would be a nice small and simple amp for computer speakers. It's nothing fancy, just a basic amp with bass, treble, balance and volume controls, and input for tuner (aux) or phono. Probably outputs around 15 W per channel. (plenty for some bookshelf speakers connected to a computer or MP3 player).

It works fine, and sounds good. It is solid state and has a nice solid chassis and alum front panel. It says made in Taiwan on the back. Actually, it did not work when I got it. In fact it was dead. But the fuse holder was loose, and when I opened it, the wire was broke off the fuse holder. A bit of solder fixed that, and I tightended the fuse hldr. A quick and simple repair. (I put a little pure silicone caulk on the fuse hldr nut to keep it tight).

It appears to be from the late 60s or early 70s. Possibly sold by Olson electronics (I remember that store).

Anyhow, all I can find is one discussion group website:

Photo here:

I dont really need a schematic at the moment, but I like to have one for all electronic stuff I own.

As usual, Google is not cooperating. Giving me schematics for everything except what I am looking for.....

Do any of you know a better way to locate this schematic?

Thanks

Reply to
oldschool

Good morning,

I couldn't recall if XAM was a house brand for Sam Goody record stores, or E.J.Korvette's. Looking on E-bay, it was a house brand for Korvette's. I once heard a story that "XAM" was "MAX" spelled backwards, and the MAX was the owner's (of Korvette's) dog. I've no idea if there is any truth to it.

Regards, Tim

P.S. You'll find some XAM products listed on e-bay.

Reply to
Tim Schwartz

Good morning,

I couldn't recall if XAM was a house brand for Sam Goody record stores, or E.J.Korvette's. Looking on E-bay, it was a house brand for Korvette's. I once heard a story that "XAM" was "MAX" spelled backwards, and the MAX was the owner's (of Korvette's) dog. I've no idea if there is any truth to it.

Regards, Tim

P.S. You'll find some XAM products listed on e-bay.

Reply to
Tim Schwartz

ElectroVoice job-shopped for several house brands, including XAM. You may have luck pursuing that avenue.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

"Xam" was a real product name?

There was an article in Electronics Illustrated in the sixties with a title like "what the heck is a Xam?" (about house brands) and I always assumed Xam was a made up name.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Sure was. EJ Korvette's

An early, much smaller version of WalMart.

Vornado was their appliance brand - which survived the demise of Korvette's.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

I never heard of EJ Korvette's, but it appears that's the source of these amps according to what you guys replied. But yes, XAM was a real product name. (The story about Max the dog, backwards is interesting).

The photo of this amp, which I posted the URL in the original message on here, shows what I have. It's a nice amp for what it is.... Nothing fancy, just a basic amp with decent sound.

I am still wondering if Olson electronics may have sold them later on, I know most Olson stuff was closeouts from other companies. I loved Olson, it was a fun place with great deals.

Either way, it looks like I will never find a schematic for this amp, but I thought I'd ask anyhow.

Reply to
oldschool