Contract manufacturers vs board stuffers

Years ago, I saw a guy with a whole (automated) SMT assembly operation in the basement of a suburban Toronto house.. getting the machines past nosy neighbors might be challenging, plus the electric bill might get you flagged as a possible grow-op, not to mention insurance would likely be impossible. But as a way to get going, for risk-takers, it's hard to beat unless you can get ahold of post-industrial space for next to nothing. There are plenty of guys with big machine tools (including big CNC machines) running from phase converters and even molding machines in their garages... churn out the right kind of parts for the right kind of customer and you can be financially independent without doing anything very difficult, dangerous or otherwise undesirable.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

The US is looking downright cheap these days. It will be interesting to see if it persists or if there is a bout of inflation and/or the currency greatly increases in value. Possibly 10-15% on each would be my guess.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

[...]

points

But, what kind of board is so big? Did not think any P&P machines and ovens would handle that. I have only seen relatively small ones.

[...]
--

John Devereux
Reply to

[...]

Me. Doing it right now :-)

Yesterday I lucked out. I try to time my drive so I am just inside the beginning of Sacramento rush hour but miss the one in Silicon Valley. Once you are through Berkeley you are usually ok. Sort of.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

The currency increasing? With QE3? I sure hope they stop that QE nonsense soon. It isn't working and there are very obvious reasons why it doesn't. Those need to be fixed, and can be.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

points

Keith seems to have missed the decimal points :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

On a sunny day (Thu, 27 Sep 2012 07:06:03 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

I agree with that part.

America? Netherlands is cool, I lived across from a supermarket, now one is around the corner, side walks and green everywhere...

Hey I once lived above a sherry bar. lived a across from some bars several times, 2 a 5 minutes walk from here, and I am not even in the city. In the city, like Amsterdam, a cafe on every corner almost.

Why did you go to the US?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 27 Sep 2012 07:06:28 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

With 0bama printing all that money, inflation WILL happen.

100$ for an egg, get ready.

I have offered to buy the US for 1$ years ago, they should have sold it to me. Now it is not even worth 50 Eurocents with all that debt.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

The Randstad area where most Dutch live does not strike me as very green. It is an overly congested area where no ten horses would be able to pull me into, at least not for living. Pretty much like Silicon valley where I would also not want to live.

In Zuid Limburg I lived above a pub in the middle of town. But the town had only 5000 people which is a size I can accept. I would not want to live in any large city. However, in America we should re-learn from the "old world" that most zoning laws are stupid laws, that they are no good for people or the environment. It would be so nice to have a bakery of pub right here in the neighborhood.

Because this is where the action is when it comes to electronics.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

It is already happening. Health insurance premiums show double-digit inflation and the cost of gasoline has roughly doubled. Guess why we are hoping for a change in November :-)

Won't be that bad but even if it was "only" 50% that could bring the consumer market almost to a grinding halt. Nobody will spend disposable savings anymore because there will hardly be any, they'll all clamp down. This is one of the many reasons why QE needs to stop.

Very wrong. We still have just about the best technology-generating climate there is. Open your PC, smart phone, whatever, then you know what I mean. I was in Silicon Valley yesterday, there is one high-tech company after the other. For tens of miles on end. You don't have that anywhere else in the world.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

On a sunny day (Thu, 27 Sep 2012 07:21:55 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

?????????????????????? I was under the impression, surfing ebay, that that was China... And on the more serious side, where I know a bit more, media digital TV, transmission systems, you, in the US are still catching up. There is also a reason Germany and the Netherlands export electronics to the US, from radar to PLCs to consumer technology, CD was invented here, Hollywood just makes money on the hardware we designed. Now you are going to try to copy high speed rail...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 27 Sep 2012 07:28:38 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

Venture capital... I heard Tesla motors is making a loss, investors are leavin, needs an otehr 150 million for their 'electric car', Boeing is in deep trouble, Aussies cancelled dreamliners, Boeing has to pay for breach of contract (could not deliver). A380 has been flying a while. Maybe 0bama makes you believe things are OK, but really, you guys are in deep shit, and now want to take on China and Russia, you lost all power in the UN, a nuclear first strike by thsoe is a real possibility now, just keep pestering those countries. I can see the lids of the silos open, forget SALT that way, hey!

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

[...]

me.

So where is a similar Dutch manufacturer of electric cars? The only passenger car manufacturer you ever had was DAF. Yes, they were innovative, my mom had a DAF, but the company is long gone from the passenger car market.

In America, people tend to stick their necks out into unknown technological territory, they take risks. One of the many reasons why I am here.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

For 4-bit uC and stuff, yes :-)

US,

just makes money on the

In your dreams. Name a DSP that can rival the ones from AD or TI. Because that's what you are going to need for stuff like this. And where is a Eurpean processor chip that can run powerful PCs, such as ADM or Intel products? Because you'll also need those.

I hope it won't come. In case it has slipped your attention, AFAIK all high-speed rail systems except for TGV and Shinkansen live on the government dole. It can't survived without taxpayer money.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

points

people

some

Yes, would love to see those come back from the fabricators...

--

John Devereux
Reply to

points

people

some

On a flatbed oversize trailer, with pilot vehicles, yellow light flashing :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

On a sunny day (Thu, 27 Sep 2012 07:57:07 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

Well, I needed a blue tooth audio link, and plenty in China to chose from, would be encryopted as everybody here already listens to my productions on FM ;-)

Then I was looking for some real solar panels, more than a thousand to chose from, China too. I mean when the nukes fall I need to power my short wave radio to see where there is still life.

US,

just makes money on the

Strange, where was ARM developed?

TGV is indeed a nice thing, I have travelled on it.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 27 Sep 2012 07:53:17 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

me.

We are not that daft. really, everybody an electric car and even the Dutch power grid would fail. And now with silly people closing nuclear power plants we may get blackouts. The US grid cannot even handle a fraction of cars being electric.

Yes I remember those, continuous variable automatic transmission, like an electric drill system. One thing I have to give the US, automatic transmission is standard in cars, while here a 'pookje' seems to be (but slowly changing).

No, Americans are big fat blobs afraid to even go on the street or to the movies of fear of being shot. Their grandpas who fought - and committed genocide to the injuns were a lot braver,

They are owerweight, afraid of soda drinks, dont know geography, major on baseball, and lost the ability to find a good engineer to takle them to the moon 30 years ago. ToysRus bought NASA, and now you kinds play with a remote controlled toy car on mars looking for life, while life is clearly here on earth in Europe and China. :-)

As to cars, if you are still reading this far, I did read some Japanse hydrogen car will enter the EU soon, there is already a hydrogen tank stations in the Netherlands (Arnhem IIRC).

I dunno if H cars will make it, but seems more likely than Ecars, but how dangerous are those H cars?

Problem with US (versus for example China) is the silly 2 party system, where one party destroys the other's work every 4 or 8 years. That looks to the outside world like somebody who is drunk, politicaly speaking, move left, swing right, swing right, move left ... It does not induce faith and trust, so for a generation experiencing that, such a generation will at least call the US unreliable, and at most a bunch of idiots or 'enemy'. Will see where evolution takes it, history has a few good chapters on how the Roman empire ended.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

;-)

Bluetooth is hardly new technology anymore, is it?

from,

Sure, using Western technology and cheap labor. As usual.

The wafting mushroom cloud might some day come from the south-east, and not too far away from you.

US,

just makes money on the

ARM is more of a (good) workhorse uC core. What I meant is real cutting edge stuff. You will not be able to build a top-of-the-line beamformer and things like that around ARM. That gets built around chips from AD, TI, Intel, AMD, Freescale and so on.

What many people do not known and lftist media tend to not report is that in America we have the Acela bullet train. It goes 150mph or 240km/h.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

me.

Right, which is why we don't shut down our nuclear plants.

But criticizing everything from your comfy chair is easy. Tell us, what is your alternative? Keep on driving gasoline or Diesel cars until the price of fuel gets so high that only rich people can drive?

The downside is that their appetite for gasoline was voracious. Easily

20-30% higher than comparable stick shift cars.

Stick shift is more economical on gas. The difference shrinks but it's still significant.

movies of fear of being shot.

braver,

baseball,

years ago.

So where is the European space shuttle? Where is the European Mars verhicle? Where is the European Voyager craft?

on mars

Maybe because ESA can't get anything up to Mars?

hydrogen car

Netherlands (Arnhem IIRC).

dangerous are those H cars?

And how would you plan to produce all that hydrogen?

speaking,

idiots or 'enemy'.

Roman empire ended.

Ah, yes, but of course a one-party system with a polit-bureau and immediate crushing of any other party's efforts to gain a foothold is no much better. Yeah, right. People out here see that very differently and I am glad they do.