Contract manufacturers vs board stuffers

Well, you see, part of the problem is that you want someone local to you, and I'm not. There seems to be a lot of this sort of stuff (well, more in factories than as small contract jobs) going on 50-150 miles away from me, and squat doodle here. Even 50 miles (which is not exactly a thriving subset) is both a pain in the rear and an expense which makes seeking that business less than appealing. Get rid of the ones that want to pay $10 an hour and there's even less to be found. I've tried one of the "contract job" systems which seemed somewhat less scam-like than most, but have yet to see much appropriate from it (plenty of folks willing to pay $250 for you to do their college projects for them, though - how exciting...)

You're more like 3000 miles away, though FedEx could make that pretty close for some versions of "close". I'm quite a bit closer (~3 hours drive) to Phil, but might not really be at the scale he wants, if he's looking for super-teeny parts on a pick-and-place basis. If part sizes are reasonable and he's (in part) looking for "not Phil" hand labor in the northeast, I might be able to help him out. I'm limited at present to only if the projects are indeed of reasonable size or can have spread-out delivery over time, since I'm only looking for side/moonlighting work unless I develop a history of enough side/moonlighting work to make pitching the day job (health insurance, steady income, etc.) reasonable - I've not seen a huge amount of indication that this is terribly reasonable to expect here - and I'm not looking to move, nor do I at present have a list of clients being me to find time to work on their projects. Still, 20 units of 150 parts reach is not unreasonable if the turn-time is not so tight that "nights and weekends" won't do and the parts can actually be held and soldered. Repeat a few times and I might even grow an oven and a nitrogen atmosphere for it. How's carbon dioxide for soldering? I could brew up some beer and pipe the gas through an oven, I guess. I already grew a hot air rework station...

Also, let's face it, I'm an enginerd, not a salsedroid. That's been clear since the days of "sell crap items to raise money for " at school. I haven't taken up advertising because as soon as I think about advertising I think about how to write the advertisement to fend off the sort of business I don't want to spend time having to fend off - the lazy idiot college projects, the consumer electronics repair, etc. That makes me consider the intangible costs of doing business that way, and I put off trying to recruit business that mostly does not appear to exist around here. To be worth doing, it has to be adequately satisfying and renumerative to offset the loss of time that I could enjoyably spend doing other things. So if the guy who will work for $10 an hour suits you, I'm not going to fight him for the work.

Ecnerwal

These links don't work...

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Heck, I pay $15 an hour to the guy who does odd jobs and yard work around my house! What do you charge just out of curiosity? Do you flat rate jobs or charge by the hour?

Rick

Reply to
rickman

One of my former bosses has me come over and wire up something or install a piece of gear in his house or plumbing or whatever. He is kind of small frame, a bit heavy and getting older, so he is willing to pay.

When I worked for him (at his business) it was as an engineer.

When I do weekend work for him, he pays me $200 cash for a half day of easy work, and takes me to lunch and or dinner as well.

A 'good' 'Jewish' 'joke'...

Q: "How many Jews does it take to change a light bulb?"

A: "Two, one to mix the Martinis, and one to call the electrician..."

Reply to
BubbleSorter

The first link works.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Nitrogen is not really needed, but good flux is! I had troubles until I got some really fine solder paste from Warton Metals in the UK. Expensive stuff to order from overseas, but the solder joints look like the best tin/lead.

I did a contract assembly job for a company once, and it was a disaster. They insisted on making their own solder stencil, and used 100% pad size for the apertures, all the ICs floated away on a lake of solder. I warned them this would happen, and they only paid me half for the job.

Oh, and I do the reflow with a GE toaster oven with a thermocouple temperature controller.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

yeah, your newsreader seems to lack support for

try these:

?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

On a sunny day (Tue, 25 Sep 2012 00:10:17 GMT) it happened snipped-for-privacy@puntnl.niks (Nico Coesel) wrote in : ried how well something like this works?

They work here, the controller could be a DIY, good price IMNSHO.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Use one of these

and a SSR for under $25 to control the toaster oven.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

.

ay.- Hide quoted text -

What city are you near Lawrence? We sometimes have ideas but not the time to flesh things out. (small quantities... )

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Nitrogen does wonders with lead free soldering.

One thing I have learned is to let the board assembler take care of everything so they can tune stencils, panels, etc to their process parameters.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Out here the pay is much higher than that. For $10/h you can't even get a gardener.

The value those places add in this day and age of the Internet is often limited. It does take the tax hassle away though, many companies don't want to handle small jobs on a 1099-basis. Big ones, yes, but not 1-2 day assembly jobs. So if you are serious about the endeavor you might want to consider starting as a small biz, just like a barber or the local vacuum repair guy, and advertize as such. Advertize by writing to the VP Engineering and VP Production of local biz, or the GM. Back when I was GM and would have gotten such a letter I'd have let off a loud yeehaw. Because it was very hard to find decent temps in that area.

That I would refuse, it's dishonest.

Depends on the area, I don't know where you live. But if there aren't many electronics or at least systems companies around then it might not work out.

Well, you've got to do it. If the non-EE part of such a business is really appalling to you then maybe it's not so good to start that kind of biz.

That can be spelled out on your web site. But don't diss consumer electronics repair. There are people who'd give a arm and a leg if you can make grandpa's old thingamagic work again. Just like guys restoring classic cars usually make top Dollar.

If someone tried to get fine-pitch SMT soldering help at $10/h they will learn their lesson fast, usually within the first hour. The same goes for designs. I have seen the aftermath where folks tried to get a design done for $5k fixed bid. They received a "design" alright, but zero in proper documentation and it didn't work.

In the end it all depends on businesses in your area, or at least along a commuter train corridor or something. For example, on Long Island the distance is not all that important but only as long as it's close to the LIRR train tracks and stations.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

nt

e.

'

on

around here I don't you could find a 15yo to sweep the floors for that, I think an 18yo flipping burgers at McD gets at least twice that at a minimum

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Wow. Then the cost of living must be very high. From Germany I heard very different stories, people working in jobs where they barely make

1000 Euros/month.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Tim Williams a écrit :

That's weird...

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Quotes from our last (and next spin - later this week) of the board I'm working on:

Board size (aprox) 2650mmx1050mm 2650mmx1650mm Number of Components 900 1131 Stuffing cost $230ea. $275ea. SMT Stencils $450 $450 SMT Programming $250 $250

We bought (or had donated ;) and kitted the components.

No clue what the BOM costs were. A good chunk of the components, particularly the more costly ones, were samples.

Reply to
krw

Most 15yo kids wouldn't do any work. Why?

Where? My wife doesn't make much more than that working in a bank. Next week she'll make zero. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Wots a mee'maidr? :-)

Those look like very reasonable numbers to me. Can you share the assembly house name?

Just to avoid a muisunderstanding, my numbers were totals, not per board.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Not in America :-)

Hewlett and Packard started in a garage and it sure was not a fancy one. Here it is:

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

ats

at

wasn't it google that started in a rented house, but just so they could say they started in a garage they worked in the garage a day each week :)

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt