conservation of Euros

life'

even

heart

required

reasons.

isn't

There was a news story a few days ago that stated a recent medical study revealed that people tend to live longer on a high sodium diet, compared to low sodium diets.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The New York Times is hardly a right-wing rag:

The world+dog is finally coming to the realization that you can't work less, make less, consume more, retire sooner, and not have kids, without something eventually breaking.

John

working on Saturday, as usual.

potato

much as

do they

salt.

able

damage

Your body doesn't automatically regulate temperature, pH, insulin levels, electrolytes, hormones, antibodies, white cell production, blood gasses? You have to do all that stuff manually? If you forget to breathe, will you die? All that must be annoying.

So far, most nutritional advice gets overturned every couple of decades. Turns out that there's a lot of very bad statistics floating around.

John

Because in the dim and distant past for hunter gatherers salt intake was important to maintain electrolyte balance and not always available. Salt was used as a currency in the ancient world - hence salary.

If you stuff your face like crazy your body will quite happily absorb and store all the calories it can get for future lean times. But it does you no good at all to be morbidly obese - why on earth do you think it is a good idea to overdose on salt?

No he is right. It is easily possible with a western diet of processed food to completely overwhelm the kidneys ability to get rid of excess salt. The result is higher salt levels in the blood leading to hypertension or raised blood pressure with associated risk of stroke or heart attack.

It is pretty good in most healthy people, but there are a lot of unhealthy people about thanks to heavily processed popular junk food diets with massive amounts of fat, salt and sugar added to everything.

Urushiol can be very unforgiving. It also forms the basis of Japanese lacquer - safe enough once it has cured but hell to work with. You can never be sure if you have become sensitised.

The connection between raised salt (sodium) levels in the blood and excessive salt intake is well established. You ignore it at your peril.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

Don't forget baby formula. Whenever people get up on their hind legs and tell me how I should eat, I reply "My answer to nutritionists? Margarine and baby formula."

We know that you need vitamins, and that being fat is very bad for you. Beyond that, there isn't much content to most nutritional doctrine, AFAICT.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

the

So far so good. I can outthink and outski most people 1/2 or 1/3 my age. I eat and drink what my body wants, but I'm careful to not let it be fooled by things that evolution hasn't adjusted for yet, like trans fats and fake flavors and cilantro. Exceptions are made for Crunchy Cheetos, beer nuts, and dark chocolate, all worth dying for.

People are like bears and pigs; we can eat most anything.

John

I've done systems work. Lots of it. The economics stink, and the time pressures interfere with sleeping and skiing.

You are equally skilled at not doing simple electronics and not doing complex systems.

He does stuff. You don't.

John

Of course, but it isn't perfect. Not very well on the input side, no. You can easily overload the output regulation. You can stop being stupid now.

Not most, just the ones you want to remember.

Reply to
krw

BS > But James Arthur "knows" business - with BS > the same sort of confidence with which he BS > "knows" =A0economics - and this sort of BS > consideration passes him by.

JL > He does stuff. You don't.

LOL Zing!

Reply to
Greegor

I have a feeling you do not eat the high levels of salt and sugar that are so common in the average US junk food diet. You have previously mentioned visiting decent restaurants that do not over salt or sweeten.

High cocoa solids >70% chocolate is probably moderately good for you in moderation (as is just about any food). It is bulk qunatities of the cheap Hershey rubbish with rancid milk fat solids in that does you no good.

Cilantro has been around for a few millennia in Europe and much longer in Asia so it isn't that new. Better know as coriander leaves in the UK. Will just about grow here in a good summer and set seed. Shiso (perilla

- mint family)is another pretty amazing herb from the Far East which tastes like a smell.

If you want to worry about vegetables then lettuce breaks the usual rule about milky sap implies unsafe to eat. And you have to admire whoever first cooked with a chilli fruit and lived to tell the tale!

Omnivorous. Provided that you eat on average roughly the right amount.

High fructose corn syrup seems to be a dodgy concoction used in US soft drinks that is delivering extremely high levels of diabetes for example.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

The occasional restaurant salt binge is probably OK. People are resiliant.

Chocolate and caffeine are both anti-dimentia. As are aspirin, ACE inhibitors, statins, omeprazole.

It is bulk qunatities of the

Yes, Hershey is crap. I will never forgive them for buying Joseph Schmidt and shutting them down.

Well, buying a 64-oz cola is something evolution never prepared us for.

John

..of everything.

You can blame Congress for that.

Reply to
krw

Here we can get Cokes, in glass bottles, smuggled in from Mexico. They're made with real sugar and cost $1.50 each.

I like the Safeway cola better than Coke. Less sweet and cloying, less cinnamon flavor, more compatible with rum.

There's debate over whether HFCS is really any worse than sugar. People eat corn and fruit all the time. To a body, all sugars are probably pretty much the same, molecules to be ripped apart for fuel. Regular corn syrup, mostly glucose, is one indispensable ingredient in pecan pie.

John

I've come to the conclusion that cutting down on high-glycemic-index carbohydrates of all sorts is probably a good idea for most of us (myself definitely included). Although I love fruit juice (Trader Joe's blends especially) I've decided to cut back rather sharply on the stuff, and take my daily fruit in the form of whole fruit that doesn't hit the bloodstream quite as hard or quickly.

Dave Platt

With real Cuban sugar, probably.

Made by Cott Corporation?

But how many people guzzle multiple liters of pecan pie filling a day?

I think it would be silly to think that the human body is capable of filtering a healthy mix out of whatever crap you pile in the top end, as it's clearly incapable of controlling even the mass balance to a healthy level. Why else would you see grossly obese teenagers?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Hard to resist Tropicana OJ for $4.98 US a US gallon at Sam's Club.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

OJ is quite self-limiting. The acid does a real number on most, in short order. I'd rather eat the whole thing, anyway.

Reply to
krw

Doesn't take enough work to press mouse buttons.

Reply to
krw

They don't sleep enough, which casues them to keep eating. They don't work more than their mouths or thumbs.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Not for me - I'm moderately allergic to most citrus fruits, and drinking a gallon of OJ would leave me with a really wicked headache.

A shame... I do love the stuff, but it doesn't love me.

Dave Platt