taxed but

flat

fair

sales

matter if

don't trust

all their

that

Not big and certainly not "super-fat plum" (works out to about 35% of my salary for the last ten years), but yes. It's also a "fully funded" retirement plan[*], so not a Ponzi scheme. I didn't have nearly as many 401K years or company match years, either. Basically, the "pension" is still there but there is more responsibility on the employee to save for his retirement. This has the advantage of making the retirement far more secure and portable. I know a *lot* of people who were laid off before they could get enough time in. I was sweating it for the last couple of years (and counting days until I was untouchable ;).

[*] Medical is not, so comes out of income. It's not a great plan so I don't use it.
Reply to
krw

Neuro fiddles while Soured Europe burns?

Reply to
krw

puts

And because

creation. If a

reasonably be

have saved

everything. The

taxed but

flat

Not fair

sales

matter if

don't trust

all their

that

35% is pretty darn good.

It's also a "fully funded"

I've never really understood this vesting rule for pensions. It entices companies to fire employees "just in time". IMHO they should still get something, at least if it was a layoff.

I met one engineer from IBM who kept his medical plan because he was allowed to, and declined the one at the new company (which was actually pretty good).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Maxim rejects! ;-)

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Nothing wrong with salt. I have to use five to seven times the recommended amount to prevent pressure sores.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Me too. But we're wrong John. Bill says we should do systems, and Bill *knows* business. Massive investment that pays off zero-to-one times is better and less risky than modest investment that pays 100x.

James

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

puts

And because

creation. If a

reasonably be

have saved

everything. The

taxed but

flat

Not fair

generic

sales

shouldn't matter if

I don't trust

all their

that

You do, just the rules change. If I was laid off before my 30th anniversary I still would have collected just not as much, or later. There was a fairly sharp slope for the last five years.

There are many plans, but none are great. AIUI, they kick in about $7K/yr, which can fund a decent individual plan but sucks for a family plan. A middling plan would have cost us around $700/mo, IIRC. My wife has her own insurance though her employer but it's still significantly more expensive. I run the numbers every year.

Reply to
krw

There is a lot wrong with salt. Some need more than others, but almost everyone gets far more than they need. Many get dangerous levels.

Reply to
krw

Not possible. Gotta make chips before they can be rejected. OTOH, I reject all Maxim chips.

Reply to
krw

Some people think all salt is bad, but it's called 'The salt of life' for good reason. I can post pictures of the scars all over my lower legs, if you don't beleive me.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Then you know what to do with them. ;-)

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Another problem with the systems business is that you have a big staff of expensive people that need to be kept fed. So you bid on jobs. You have to overbid just like airlines overbook seats, only a lot more, because the no-show rate is 2:1 or worse. If all the propos-ees say no, you're dead. And if all of them say yes, you're almost as dead. Poisson is a cruel distribution.

If you don't manage to come up with a smooth stream of projects, you wind up with a lot of people with nothing to do. Bill is the real expert at nothing-to-do.

We're always developing products. We just work our way down an infinite list of ideas. Meanwhile, downstairs, manufacturing is churning out copies of all the stuff we've designed over the last 15 years or so, and bringing in the real revenue. If we get too many orders, we don't have to interview and hire a bunch of yokels off Craigslist, we just send a few big kits out to contract assemblers.

John

You CAN do systems if you are small, but it requires the right mind set. It also involves finding a lot of otherwise independent contractors that you can bring in on a moments notice when the proposal gets accepted.

Last year, our city decided to do a video surveillance system. I had heard about it, and had put in my proposal. It was based on the budget that I was told about - $80K. A few months later, I heard that they were finally going ahead with the project, but it was now only $40K, and that LockMart was doing it? I asked, and found out that they had been sold on getting a full engineering study and system design, but the up shot was that now it was a $1.2M project! I looked at the final system, WiMAX, high class cameras with cooling (needed here!) and all. If I had known that was what they wanted, could have done the same project for something more like $800K, but they were sold the bill of goods... :-(

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

It wasn't that long ago that the Europeans were bragging about the Euro, and that it could never fail. :(

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Vitimins D and E are also essential. They'll kill you too.

Reply to
krw

From the wikipedia page on salt...

Meta-analysis in 2009 found that the sodium consumption of 19,151 individuals from 33 countries fit into the narrow range of 2,700 to

4,900 mg/day. The small range across many cultures, together with animal studies, suggest that sodium intake is tightly controlled by feedback loops in the body, making recommendations to reduce sodium consumption below 2,700 mg/day potentially futile.[72]

...which is interesting. Salt intake is not particularly associated with Western diets. I trust my body to self-regulate basic stuff like this.

John

What do you mean mot associated with Western diets. We eat a *ton* of salt. It's added, in massive quantities, to just about everything. You may be able to trust your body to self-regulate, but add a little kidney or heart damage and that won't work out so well.

Reply to
krw

I take a multi vitamin, and a potassium tablet each day. If it's a choice between taking a few years off my life from too much sodium, or dying within a couple years after surgeons slice off body parts from too little sodium I'd rather die of a heart attack.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Well, just now, I'm cooking up a pot of home-made chicken broth, which includes no salt. It just tastes so much better than the commercial junk.

But I think bodies know what they want and don't want. And excrete whatever they have too much of. Why would my body absorb more salt than it needs, when it could just let it pass through?

John

Also, some people rarely sweat, while others sweat heavily, all day long. My dietitian agreed that a single fixed amount for everyone was insane. One idiot doctor tried to tell me I was drinking too much water at 64 Oz a day. He sits on his skinny ass in an air conditioned building all day. I can sweat 64 Oz. or more per day wen I do yard work, or am busy scrapping old computers. The A/C in my truck quit over a year ago, and it was 86 in the house with the A/C on today.