conservation of Euros

[snip]

Anal fetish?? Martin clearly doesn't understand that American slang, "Asshole", has nothing to do with the anal orifice :-)

I don't dislike you. I just find you fun to poke holes into. You post junk circuits, then swear by them to the death when I point out the faults.

I have as much fun "playing" you as you do with Slowman.

I didn't insult your wife. When you mentioned BU I just pointed out the realities of the locations of the BU dorm (high rise) near Storrow Drive and the MIT frat houses on the parallel (across the Charles) Memorial Drive.

You stated your wife waited tables. I asked which restaurants. You didn't reply. I think you made up that BS... sorry shouldn't use Slowman's designator... bull-shit.

You think you annoy me. You don't. You just play into my hands as Slowman does into yours.

Now. As to senile, you're certainly showing symptoms, and even admitting to some :-b ...Jim Thompson

You are partially right.

John

Ah, now Bill has resorted to 3rd-person addressing ... :-)

Bill, you said the Greek shipping industry is a major source of GDP. I have shown beyond reasonable doubt (_with_ links, you didn't provide any) that that is not the case. Simple, really.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

because

creation. If a

reasonably be

saved

everything. The

taxed but

fair

sales

matter if

don't trust

their

that

However, I assume you have a nice big pension coming towards you from big blue. The vast majority of younger people have zilch in that domain because companies have stopped that practice a long, long time ago. Instead, the people now get to pay for super-fat plum pensions of state workers, which is a powder keg that is going to go kablouie pretty soon here in CA.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Good one:

John

because

creation. If a

reasonably be

saved

everything. The

taxed but

flat

fair

sales

matter if

don't trust

all their

that

Not to mention about 30 other states. And europe.

John

Paging Dr. Schadenfreude..

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

It might amuse you to know that a suggested name for the replacement currency after this one fails was suggested by a Reuters financial commentator as the New Euro or Neuro for short.

Interview/sketch monologue online at:

Doomsday Scenario for the Euro - I think you will like it.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

Small chips ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

puts

And because

creation. If a

reasonably be

have saved

everything. The

taxed but

flat

Not fair

sales

matter if

don't trust

all their

that

But they don't have regular folks pulling in well north of $200k just in pension payments per year (!) on the taxpayer nickel, or pension spiking.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Oh, the US is facing similar problems. But at least we have kids and immigrants that we can exploit.

I'm not so much happy that europe is falling apart as I am satisfied that I have some understanding of how economic systems actually work. I did predict stuff like this, based on the simple concept that you can't longterm consume more than you produce, unless you steal it. This sort of thinking is apparently beyond what learned macroeconomists and finance ministers can handle.

The US and Canada have, I think, better longterm prospects than europe.

John

Salt

Reply to
keithw86

Neuro for "Northern Euro" and Souro for "Soured Euro"?

[...]
--
SCNR, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

ks

What I actually said was "Greece has the world's largest shipping fleet. This may not be an industry, but it is certainly a source of revenue."

I certainly didn't claim that it was a major source of GDP - although

4.5% of GDP is quite a lot for an individual industry to contribute, about the same as agriculture. Other - less substantial - contributions come from food processing, tobacco, textiles, chemicals (including refineries), pharmaceuticals, cement, glass, telecommunication and transport equipment.

Tourism is the biggest single contributor - as you pointed out - at around 15% of GDP, but claiming that this is the whole of the Greek economy is a rather drastic (and unhelpful) over-simplification of the the situation, and that is what I actually found objectionable.

Since I never made that particular claim in the first place, you were wasting your time. Attacking what you would have liked me to have said is both simple and easy, but scarcely useful.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

ng

nd

re

resses the hell

That's what scientific equipment development is all about. I've done my fair share of digging in university libraries to work out what the customer was doing, and I've done it well enough for occasional customers to try to flatter me by claiming that I understood their system as well as they do, which has to be a load of rubbish, since you have to live with a system for months to really get to grips with what it does and how it does it.

That's not the way I remember my own experiences. Granting your enthusiasm for whishful thinking, you may well have been able to edit your memories of what I've posted here to allow yourself to think that this is true, but the reality is that most of the smaller projects I was involved in worked out well, in significant part because I was sufficiently good at what I did to be able to get them done my way. The bigger projects chewed up a lot of money - lots mrore than you seem to spend on individual projects - and several of them got canned because the managers who set them going had managed to delude themselves about the amount of investment that was going to be needed to get the result they were asking for. I certainly felt powerless when the projects were canned, but I wasn't in a position to tell the managers which markets thay should go after, or how ambitious they should be in setting their specifications, though I was in a postion to tell them when they were being over-ambitious, not that they were obliged to believe me.

Since you are the poster who pontificates about stuff that he knows little about - as I've pointed out repeatedly - it is amusing to find you trying to pin the same label on me. It's less amusing to have you cobbling together some lame story about a career that you've imagined for me in order to manouvre yourself into a position where you can recycle my criticism of your habits.

The facts of the case are that you don't like developing complete systems, bcause it takes too long and ties up too much capital and engineering effort, and you've found yourself a niche where you can develop useful sub-systems, some of which you can sell to several customers.

Your customers would probably be happier if you took on turn-key development contracts, but that kind of big chunk of development takes skills that you don't seem to have - perhaps wisely. Big projects that go wrong regularly destroy the businesses that took them on.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Jim-out-of-touch-with-reality-Thompson will soon be telling us that the difference between black and white has nothing to do with colour.

John does have a tendency to "understand" more than he has been told, sometimes quite a lot more than he could deduce from the information that he has actually got. If he wasn't quite so deeply into self- delusion, one mght call him a liar.

Jim-out-of-touch-with-reality-Thompson reminds us - once again - of his own defects in understanding.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

The Daily Torygraph is predictable, and predictably wrong. It publishes stuff that appeals to right-wing nitwits, which means that their stories don't have a lot to do with reality.

In this case the story recycles a number of right-wing fantasies that they published years ago. They were rubbish then, and they are rubbish now, but the Daily Torygraph knows the kind of fantasies that appeal to their readers.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmenge

Reply to
Bill Sloman

.

If you ignore the minor fact that the US has been running a large balance of payments deficit since Regan was president.

John's "understanding of how economic systems actually work" doesn't seem able to integrate the consequences of this interesting fact. So he believes right-wing pundits who tell him that Europe is falling apart. and doesn't notice that if what they said were true, the US would be falling apart faster, with California replacing Greece as the horrible example of fiscal irresponsibility.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Yes. Engineering is too valuable to sell once. Production can sell copies of engineering for decades.

I have been in the systems business, and now that I have my own company I never want to do it again.

John

That's not a big deal. The Chinese make stuff and ship it to us. We pay them, and they buy US T-bills with the money. The arabs do similar stuff with oil. Everybody's happy. We'll never pay all that money back.

Umm, europe *is* falling apart. Even left-wing pundits agree.

and doesn't notice that if what they said were true, the US

No. We have industries and we have kids. The kids seem to be, on the whole, a pretty smart and ambitious and hard-working batch. Part of the problem in southern europe is the astonishing extinction-level birth rates. A smaller and smaller fraction of the population is actually doing productive work at any given instant.

How's your productivity?

John