Coming soon to Amerika...

-AND-

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | "Minimum wage" is why all our manufacturing is in Mexico and China

"Jim Thompson" wrote > | James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |

Simple minded statement. Who is going to purchase things when Americans are NOT EMPLOYED. In fact that's one reason we have the economic problems we have. Americans are under employed in the ever increasing race to the bottom. The corporate world cares ONLY about their bottom line and nothing of their responsibilities to the societies they operate in. This nonsense is clearly not sustainable.

Reply to
Bob Eld

Perhaps Murdoch should try to make quality. The BBC is very famous for making excellent television programs for decades.

-- Failure does not prove something is impossible, failure simply indicates you are not using the right tools... "If it doesn't fit, use a bigger hammer!"

Nico Coesel

When per-capita production/productivity exceeds per-capita consumption, you

*must* have unemployment to balance the equation. Whether that is in reduced numbers employed or reduced hours per worker makes no difference - both reduce the purchasing power of the worker. And yet we (humankind) spend much of our creative efforts trying to improve the productivity side of the equation.
Reply to
philosopher

are

nothing

is

you

reduced

reduce

our

Yes and productivity is good for the corporate bottom line and has been one of the basic measurements in our society. My view is that it is very short sided and only measures one parameter while ignoring others like employment. We are now beginning to pay the piper and it could get very bad if we're not careful and cognizant of the complete dynamics involved. Simple minded sound bites like the one above color judgment and greatly over simplify the situation making a reasoned response impossible.

Reply to
Bob Eld

Are you trying to tell us that the 30% unemployed are TOO productive????

Reply to
Robert Baer

We seem to have reached that natural "civilized" limit, where most of the population are consumers, not producers, and these consumers try to leech upon the remaining society for sustenance... the actual producers have taken their businesses overseas to avoid confiscatory taxation. Thus we die :-( ...Jim Thompson

Look on the bright side: A special prosecutor to attack the CIA
opens the door for the next administration to prosecute Holder and
Rahm Emanuel...and perhaps Obama himself.  Bring it on!!

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Min. wage AND excessive gov't regulations.

Yeah,people who don't have jobs don't buy a lot.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

But people on the dole buy big-screen TVs and Cadillacs and leather jackets made in China.

At your expense.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

Americans are

we

nothing

nonsense is

you

reduced

reduce

of our

equation.

productive????

Wrong, it's not the producers who take their business overseas, it's the corporate "weenies" who take the business out of country. The producers are now the Chinese and others who make the stuff. They used to be Americans. A society that does not protect its citizens will die in the end. Protecting an American manufacturing base is as important as protecting against terrorism or foreign invaders.

Reply to
Bob Eld

are

we

nothing

nonsense is

you

reduced

reduce

of our

equation.

productive????

Yes, that's the way productivity is measured. The lower the labor, the higher the productivity. The lower the labor, the more unemployed there are unless they can somehow find other employment. Sounds ridiculous doesn't it? But, that's the way our system is structured and how profits are maximized. But it does beg the question: Who is going to buy the shit when fewer and fewer are employed making money?

Reply to
Bob Eld