Climate Change Prediction is bunk...

Wood smoke kills a lot of people in less-developed countries, where people don't have NG and electricity.

lunatic fringe electronics

Wood burns fairly cleanly if you burn it hot enough. Smoldering, wet, wood isn't good.

Reply to
krw

Because all mmeasurement has error; 'wrong' is impossible to interpret in this context. It's not about dealing with reality, it's with dealing with the abstract concepts embodied in words.

Yes, use of intelligence (for humans) is often done in isolation, without hands-on-the-object involvement. Whether an armchair, or a hermit's cave, or (my favorite) a library reading room, getting a set of ideas organized is important. Even if that isn't the first step, it has to happen before we can be confident of a solution.

Error! Discounting is the word you want. Discarding, on the other hand, is actionable malfeasance in safety testing, and misfeasance in other responsible roles. Recall the waters of Flint, Michigan! Following up on anomalies is how Clinton Davisson got his Nobel prize, so there's carrots as well as sticks to be considered.

Reply to
whit3rd

ke

of_co2_emissions

ists-are-divided

-power-2015-12

You are talking about cooking over open fires - a wood-fired oven with a pr oper chimney is fine. If the wood is hot enough to emit visible light, the combustion products tend to be innocuous, and if they go up a proper chimne y you don't breath enough of them to do you any damage.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

AFAIK the current scientific thought is that most of the Earth's fossil fuels weren't created in a linear fashion but in several major "cookup events" where over say millions of years atmospheric conditions and ocean temperatures were right for enormous quantities of phytoplankton and algae to get deposited in the "correct" way, followed by large periods of time with not much happening.

I don't think it would be reasonable for Earth's composition to be like that because the Solar System is something like a third or fourth generation star in our Universe's history, the accretion disk that it formed from was comprised in large part of supernova remnants where the stuff in the periodic table up to iron was manufactured in the main sequence, and then the stuff afterwards was cooked up in the EOL supernova.

There probably wasn't enough time for intelligent life to develop in the first or second generation of stars which is likely a good thing because we know from deep space observation of supernovas at long range/in the distant past that they were absolute monsters; if one occurred in the Milky Way at this point in history the gamma burst alone would probably vaporize everything living across a quarter of the galaxy.

Make the little pipsqueak that created the Crab Nebula in 1054 look like a firecracker and even ~7000 light years distant it's still the brightest X-ray/gamma source in the sky a thousand years later.

Reply to
bitrex

It's amazing to be alive.

lunatic fringe electronics

Conversation with my father: "I bought my first car in 1947, it was a

1936 Ford Model 48 sedan and I thought having a built-in AM radio was a pretty exciting thing. If I told people then that one day a glowing hockey puck sitting on my desk would be giving me weather forecasts I probably would've been committed. Alexa what's the weather for tomorrow?"
Reply to
bitrex

Incidentally out of all the cars he owned over his life he claims that the one he liked best was his late 1990s sixth-gen Mazda 626.

It gets slammed in this Jalopnik article by some millennial who likely wasn't of driving age at the time as not being cool enough but it must've felt like magic for someone who had a VW Superbeetle as a daily driver for the better part of the 1970s.

Reply to
bitrex

When I was just learning to drive we had an Austin Healey sprite (mark II). It was a blast to drive, like a big go-cart, with gears.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

?? has

the

Perhaps some of you forgot that many prominent Republicans were once onboar d with AGW. Almost overnight, they did a 180 with no explanation and have r emained that way ever since.

I doubt they did their own experiments or studied the data (because politic ians generally aren't scientists), but rather I suspect they were paid off, or wanted to use this issue as a wedge much like abortion or gay marriage.

The video is from Vox, which some of you may not prefer but there's numerou s video clips of these prominent politicians stating global warming is a bi g issue that must be addressed.

So to you who is claiming global warming science is a religion, this is jus t more handiwork from Republicans to discredit research. Religion is a beli ef system mostly void of quality scientific data, which seems to align more closely with the random websites such as what the OP has posted.

Go ahead and watch the video and reply with your assertion as to why these guys suddenly changed their tune.

robertjong

Hey, I was born in a 1936 Ford!

(And no, I wasn't conceived there.)

lunatic fringe electronics

My first car was a Sprite. One day it got squashed to half-size, between two Detroit monsters, which effects I can feel to this day.

It was a barbaric machine when it was manufactured, not to mention a death trap, but it sure was fun. Putting up the top was a huge PITA, so in the rain you'd just keep driving fast.

When I got the insurance money, I moved up to an MG Midget.

lunatic fringe electronics

If it's all settled science, why waste money on research?

lunatic fringe electronics

My first car was a nicotine-coloured Austin 1100 automatic "grannymobile". It had a disconcerting habit of dropping out of gear just as I tried to speed up to merge with other traffic. Having the same oil for the engine and gearbox was a "misfeature".

My second car was a 1959 Series II Land Rover. A 4.3l diesel engine, drivers seat taken from a Mini, and the fuel gauge (when I finally got around to fitting one) was calibrated in Roentgens/hour. The latter was courtesy Gees, the second-hand/surplus electronics shop on Mill Rd in Cambridge.

Since then my cars have been boring by choice. The selection algorithm is to look at "Which?" to see which cars are reliable, then to find out which ones have comfortable seats, then to find a good instance.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Yeah in the shop a lot... my fav. sprite story; I was in the high school play and called up mom for a ride home, She brought the Austin-Healey, I forgot to tell her I had friends... We fit five people and a chicken in it, with the top up. (the chicken was in a cage.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

? has

ng the

ce

oard with AGW. Almost overnight, they did a 180 with no explanation and hav e remained that way ever since.

ticians generally aren't scientists), but rather I suspect they were paid o ff, or wanted to use this issue as a wedge much like abortion or gay marria ge.

rous video clips of these prominent politicians stating global warming is a big issue that must be addressed.

just more handiwork from Republicans to discredit research.

Why continue research on anything? Even gravity is researched.

But you didn't answer my question. Why did so many prominent Republicans su ddenly change their tune about global warming about a decade ago?

Reply to
robertjong

My parents both had matching his and hers Superbeetles in the late

1970s, white and robins-egg blue. I don't remember them as they were before my time; apparently the blue one was in an unfortunate accident with a school bus while my mother was pregnant. Seems like it was a safe enough car if you wore your seat belt, I've seen the post-crash picture and that thing was a wreck. The front trunk maybe functioned like an early "crumple zone."

They used the insurance money to buy a more "practical family car" - a harvest gold Pinto.

Reply to
bitrex

Mine was a used white 1990 Chevy Celebrity four door, the base model with the "Iron Duke" I4 single-port injection mail truck engine. It looked very much like this in its heyday:

Sure didn't make you feel like a celebrity

Reply to
bitrex

The first and last car I ever owned with a steering column-mounted shifter.

Reply to
bitrex

Ah yes, "if you got to say you're a lady, then you ain't".

Reply to
Tom Gardner