Cheap Plastic Fibre Optics

Hi

Do any of you know of the cheapest optic fibres that has practical/ easy connectors. By easy I mean that we don't need to make an insanely precise cut of the fibre or perhaps just use a cable assembly with pre- assembed cables and connectors

If possible I would prefer the types used in audio (consumer goods) since it will probably have many second source manufactors and be cheap

Thanks

Klaus

PS I found this from Avego, but perhaps there's something cheaper/ better:

Klaus Kragelund

Google ESKA fiber, I've very sure there is low cost 2nd source of it.

is a company I've had good luck with for prototyping.

Steve

Reply to
osr

It's usually best to stick with some popular standard and one of them from the consumer market would be TOSLink, introduced by Toshiba. Only used by real HiFi aficionados but pretty cheap. You can buy the cables ready made in all sorts of lengths. I don't know this store but the prices are roughly what I've seen elsewhere:

You can also get jacks, splices, digital transmitters, receivers and other stuff for TOSLink. For example these, for well under a buck:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Great, thanks. Looks like what I was searching for. The only issue now is the lifetime of such a device.

Regards

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

I believe that depends entirely on the environment. This is plastics stuff so high temperatures, pelting with UV rays from the sun and such could crumble them but that will probably take decades. Ok, and don't step on them with steel-capped work boots :-)

When you visit your local hifi superstore don't be shocked about the TOSLink prices there. It seems that those places slap a huge profit markup on cables, probably because of captive customers (the new xyz-player won't work at home if they don't buy the cables right there). I needed a bunch of 10ft USB cables and the local store wanted almost $15 a piece. Bought them online for around $3, same brand.