Looking for flexible light pipe or fibre optic indicator

I have a Maestro M100 3G modem installed inside another piece of
equipment, and I'd like the user to be able to see the modem's indicator
led from the outside of the main equipment.

What I have in mind (but have been unable to find) is some kind of
flexible fibre optic light pipe that I can somehow affix above the
modem's indicator light with the other end attached to the main
equipment's front panel, perhaps with a bezel.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks, Peter

Re: Looking for flexible light pipe or fibre optic indicator

http://au.element14.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet
/Search?catalogId15%001&langId43%&storeId10%184&categoryId80%0000004569&
st=light%20pipe&pageSize25%&showResults=true&pf11%0166885

Sorry about the line wrap...

Cheers,
Chris.

Re: Looking for flexible light pipe or fibre optic indicator

Try the tinyURL if it's a problem.

http://tinyurl.com/ndfjvzz

--

Xeno

Re: Looking for flexible light pipe or fibre optic indicator

Or trim the URL;
http://au.element14.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?catalogId15%001&langId43%&storeId10%184&categoryId80%0000004569

Or even leave it full length but make it still clickable;
http://au.element14.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?catalogId15%001&langId43%&storeId10%184&categoryId80%0000004569&st=light%20pipe&pageSize25%&showResults=true&pf11%0166885
--
Shaun.

Re: Looking for flexible light pipe or fibre optic indicator

Thanks, Chris.  Unfortunately, these items seem to be fixed and solid
rather than flexible.

Peter

Re: Looking for flexible light pipe or fibre optic indicator

"buy fibre bundle light pipe" got me these:

http://www.edmundoptics.com/illumination/fiber-optic-illumination/fiber-optic-light-guides/flexible-fiber-optic-light-guides/1439/

industrial strength - pricing

http://i-fiberoptics.com/fiber-detail.php?id35%

the price is great but shipping is crazy.

searching "optic fibre" on aliexpress got this one:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-home-decoration-optic-fiber-cable-end-glow-plastics-0-75mmx50pcsx2m-clear-optical-fibre-line-new/1825390022.html?spm21%14.01020208.3.140.iGBds7&ws_ab_test20%1556_10,201527_1_71_72_73_74_75,201409_1

that's a better price.

--
  \_(?)_

Re: Looking for flexible light pipe or fibre optic indicator
I recall getting a lot of these from a defunct Christmas Tree. The tree
was one of those discount variety shop specials and when the transformer
died, I scrapped the works, retained the LEDs and the light pipes for
future purpose. You might consider wandering around your local discount
variety stores looking for some similar light displays that could be
repurposed for your use. I have seen many different types over the
years, not just Christmas Trees.

--

Xeno

Re: Looking for flexible light pipe or fibre optic indicator

TOSLINK cable perhaps?

How long does it need to be?

Re: Looking for flexible light pipe or fibre optic indicator

About 100mm should work.

Re: Looking for flexible light pipe or fibre optic indicator

Farnell / elemnt14 used to sell large diameter fiber optic by the meter.
I think it was around 2.5mm OD with a 1 or 1.5mm core. I used it to get
light from a led onto a rapidly moving platform.

If you are prepared to make a block to hold the fiber over the source
led then it would probably work.

To get a clean end on the fiber cut it with a heated scalpel or razor
blade. You can polish the end by hand too if needed.

<http://au.element14.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?catalogId15%001&langId43%&storeId10%184&categoryId80%0000003988&sort=P_PRICE&st=optic%20fiber&pageSize25%&showResults=true

Site Timeline