Looking for flexible light pipe or fibre optic indicator

I have a Maestro M100 3G modem installed inside another piece of equipment, and I'd like the user to be able to see the modem's indicator led from the outside of the main equipment.

What I have in mind (but have been unable to find) is some kind of flexible fibre optic light pipe that I can somehow affix above the modem's indicator light with the other end attached to the main equipment's front panel, perhaps with a bezel.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks, Peter

Reply to
Pete

Sorry about the line wrap...

Cheers, Chris.

Reply to
Chris

Try the tinyURL if it's a problem.

Xeno
Reply to
Xeno

Or trim the URL;

Or even leave it full length but make it still clickable;

Shaun.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
~misfit~

Thanks, Chris. Unfortunately, these items seem to be fixed and solid rather than flexible.

Peter

Reply to
Pete

"buy fibre bundle light pipe" got me these:

industrial strength - pricing

the price is great but shipping is crazy.

searching "optic fibre" on aliexpress got this one:

that's a better price.

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

I recall getting a lot of these from a defunct Christmas Tree. The tree was one of those discount variety shop specials and when the transformer died, I scrapped the works, retained the LEDs and the light pipes for future purpose. You might consider wandering around your local discount variety stores looking for some similar light displays that could be repurposed for your use. I have seen many different types over the years, not just Christmas Trees.

--

Xeno
Reply to

TOSLINK cable perhaps?

How long does it need to be?

Reply to
Andy Wood

About 100mm should work.

Reply to
Pete

Farnell / elemnt14 used to sell large diameter fiber optic by the meter. I think it was around 2.5mm OD with a 1 or 1.5mm core. I used it to get light from a led onto a rapidly moving platform.

If you are prepared to make a block to hold the fiber over the source led then it would probably work.

To get a clean end on the fiber cut it with a heated scalpel or razor blade. You can polish the end by hand too if needed.

Reply to
Oltimer