CF v HDD

Any idea of the practical time differences between a CF x200 versus a

5400rpm 2.5" drive when it comes to booting a PC?

-- Dirk

- Transcendence UK
- A UK political party
- Occult Talk Show

Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Under normal situations (where hardware handles talking to the CF device) it should boot faster, as the sustained read rate is better and the seek=20 time is much lower [no physical movement]).

Reply to
JosephKK

If you want to do the practical experiment most PCs can be persuaded to boot directly from CF media. Dedicated SSD is faster still and becoming increasingly affordable. They are silent in operation. Very useful if you have huge multi-GB files requiring random readonly access.

Another quick and dirty test would be to put in a fast USB thumbnail drive and let Vista put the fast boot image on it.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

No way am I getting near Vista! Anyhow, I only need to boot about 3GB Either embedded XP or Linux

I'll try the USB flash expt though, since I've downloaded the netbook version of Ubuntu which is designed to run from flash.

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

I have put a 133x CF into a logic analyzer and it works fine. I notice no speed degradation. At least the ratling noise is gone.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Just one note though: Windows probably sees the CF as a removable device. Not all software allows itself to be installed on a removable device (thats yet another stupid microsoft-ism).

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

ce)

org/- A UK political party

Occult Tal= k Show

Can you do a core dump of this project when you finish? I have a G-job where I need something similar.

Reply to
miso

That's why they make fixed-disk compact flash.

Reply to
JW

Not if it's connected via an IDE adapter, then it just looks like an old fashioned IDE drive with no removability. CF provides that mode, so the adapter is just mechanics.

The compatibility thing is a cool thing for some old electronics that has hard drives and won't accept larger drives. Larger than 504 MB or thereabouts, that is.

Reply to
Anssi Saari

I did that and Windows still sees it as a removable disk. It has to do with some bits in the identification.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

UK

A UK political party
Occult Talk Show

I'll let people here know when I have done it, although from reading the instructions on the Ubuntu site it seems very straightforward.

If you do it before me post how it went please.

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Or CF to SATA adapters

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

This is where I started when CF-ifying XPe for a piece of gear.

Why do "webmasters" insist on links like that? If it's broken, hop over to

and search their knowledge base for "compact flash".

We used one of their PC/104+ processor boards; I'd guess that other PC/104 vendors would have similar info. Long story short: almost all CF modules are used in consumer video gear and the like as recording media, where the ability to boot isn't needed and adds cost. So, away it goes.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Booting is not the real problem. The problem is that some installers don't want to install to a removable disk.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

removable

Quite simple really, they are just script kiddies pretending to be = "masters". Duh, it's what the power tool gave me, it must be good?

Reply to
JosephKK

vice)

ng

.org/-A UK political party

Talk= Show

org/- A UK political party

Occult Tal= k Show

I'm waiting for the Nvidia Ion2. I may not get one, but I want to see it before I pick some hardware. Unfortunately, I need windows due to a critical program that doesn't work correctly in wine. [Before FatLadyBoy starts up, we verified the problem with different hardware and distributions.]

I use opensuse, but mostly because I'm used to it. Ubuntu is supposed to be good. The only problem I see with Ubuntu for use as an embedded OS is the upgrades come out too often. While there is a lot of "me too" in Linux distributions, some of the flavors do have targets. For instance Free BSD doesn't get large upgrades that often, so it is good for servers. Open Suse has a time limit of I think two years on support, so you either upgrade or you are on your own. There are low latency distributions, etc.

Reply to
miso

party

Talk Show

straightforward.http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download-netbook

UK

A UK political party
Occult Talk Show

Well, if my apps work on it I'll just load them up and never touch the thing again. If it ain't broke I won't be fixing it.

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Most CF vendors will provide you with an app which changes the removable/non-removable flag on the card. We use SanDisk and they were very helpful with this in spite of the low volumes. They also sell industrial-grade CF cards with the flag already set (amongst other differences - longer guaranteed retention etc)

The other reason for marking the card as non-removable is AFAIK you can't partition a removable drive using fdisk etc.

HTH

Reply to
<news

(PHP??) "developers" who don't know what they're doing.

%3D translates to an equal sign %26 is an ampersand %2B is a plus sign (which anyone with any sense avoids in URLs; it's obvious that turkey doesn't have to eat his own dog food)

...and, yeah, if you'll look at the URLs that e.g. Google generates, you see that parameter names can easily be reduced to 2 letters.

Reply to
JeffM

10.04, due in April, will be a LTS version. (Long-Term Support: 3 years on desktops; 5 years on servers.) Pre-release versions of 10.04 are currently available.

The current LTS is 8.04 from April of 2008.

Reply to
JeffM