CD4093 oscillator frequency

I'm buidling a little relaxaton oscillator for a project using a cd4093 quad nand gate with schmitt trigger inputs. I'm using a 200 ohm resistor and a 100n cap in the RC network.

If I've done my calculations correctly, I was hoping to have an oscillator at around 30kHz. But my frequency counter is only showing around 8. Supply voltage is 5V.

I understand that the frequency is dependent on the hysteresis thresholds, which are device dependent, but I didn't expect it to be that far off. Anything to check?

Can I drop a crystal or ceramic resonator across the resistor to "lock" the frequency?

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Measure the P-P voltage and recalculate using that?

A 200 resistor across a crystal is basically shorting the crystal.

Reply to
krw

8 kHz, you mean?

Your calculations. You could also check if the parameters of the CD4093 are correct, by measurement.

I've made a PWM-amplifier once with a quad nand and two BC547s. That was fun. But I don't remember how I arrived at the correct frequency. Probably trial and error.

A 30 kHz ceramic resonator? How large would those physically be? I mean, they are not available for that low frequency.

joe

Reply to
Joe Hey

Yep, that datasheet :-)

At 5V suply CD logic is like molasses. The output impedance easily enters the kOhm range so your 200ohms in reality is much higher.

Not really with this one, I'd use a watch crystal chip for that but a

30kHz crystal is going to be pricey.

Use a 74HC series device if you want to operate with 5V supply. Or make the resistor tens of kOhms (or better hundreds) and the cap smaller. But if you want any kind of accuracy a CD4093 isn't going to cut it with a

5V supply.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Ah. That's it. I'm so used to using the HC stuff I'd forgotten that. I'll try recalculating for a different RC network...

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

I've got 60 and 100 KHz tuning fork (watch, I guess) crystals I bought on a lark which were not terribly expensive (right, sorry, they cost the earth by jeorg standards, where all pennies must scream.)

For the common 32.768 KHz onesies look like $0.18 and up if "around 30" is "within 10%", 60 KHz looks like $0.49 (or $1.75 in SMT) and would give you an honest 30 with a divide circuit.

30 KHz crystals I don't see on a quick look.
Ecnerwal

Ecnerwal Wrote in message:

The precise freq. isn't critical, just would like it to be fairly stable and above the audio range. I think a watch crystal would work fine

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

200 ohms is way too low. Scale up R and scale down C, by 20:1 at least.

For practical purposes, the threshold(s) are one-half of the CMOS supply voltage (at room temp). Reasonably dependable.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Most of the CMOS oscillators I've seen, the resistor is more like 2M.

The OP could check out the catalogues from various crystal/resonator manufacturers - many include example circuits.

Reply to
Ian Field

"half" in the sense of "anywhere between one third and two thirds."

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I'm now using a 68k R and a 680 p polystyrene capacitor - I'm right in the 32 kHz ballpark.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

when a CD4060 is run from crystal it seems that it does not use a schmitt inverter

what frequency are you chasing? 32768 Hz is a standard frequency.

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

And that, on the properly specified kinds only.

I've seen microcontrollers and shitty ASICs like that where the input thresholds are 20-80%, I think even 10-90%. One boggles at how their process can even be so awful!

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation

and smiles at the price

Reply to
tabbypurr

You'll be hosting Romper Room next...

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

And you'll be organizing Canasta games at the managed care facility.

Here's another stupid question from me. If the output impedance inflates the value of his R then why is his frequency lower than he calculated?

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Nevermind. I wrote that a few seconds ago standing on my head.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Mornings are the times for thinking...this time of the afternoon is for drinking

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/