OT: The Great Train Robbery

"It's all wedge, chaps. It's all bloody wedge."

I tried to look this up and wedge refers to coins being cut into quarters. But they are only dealing with bills. What's up?

The movie has a lot of Cockney rhyming slang that is hard to get.

--

Rick
Reply to

Maybe they mean small bills.

The Spanish "pieces of eight" was divisible like a pizza. Hence "2 bits" is still American slang for a quarter.

I just looked up the movie thinking you meant the 1979 version. From the comments on IMDB I think I'll stick with the old one.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

A wedge (wodge is also used) is a fat wad of the folding stuff (notes or US:bills). It's not rhyming slang.

I think the link with cut up coins is tenuous.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Which version exactly are you referring to? There are several listed at IMDB.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

That's english/cockney slang for a pile of notes (can be any denomination) Other words often used are a WAD ( of notes) or WADGE of notes.

TTman