Carbon Pile

Who makes a good stable carbon pile? Stable as in it maintains its resistance as current is varied.

200 amp range, 100 VDC. Currently using a battery load tester but I want something I can mount on my own equipment.

e.g. I have DC motor that I want to voltage up to see how it draws.

Reply to
OldGuy

isn't that kind of a poor way of throttling a motor?

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

I thought carbon piles were almost a century out of date. You could always make one from the carbon rectangles in discarded 9v batteries. Surely there are easier ways to speed control a motor though.

If you must do it old school, a salt water dimmer is far quicker to make. Sometimes dubbed a scariac.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Where are you getting 9V batteries made like that? All I've seen for years are made from six AAAA cells.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Look for sewing machine foot pedals. The old ones had carbon piles and the new ones might be an alternative to carbon piles.

Reply to
wanderer

those are the alkaline ones.

there's got to be a school in china still making dry cells.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Carbon-zinc super heavy duty, apparently. 6 lozenges stacked. Are those thick black plates carbon, or compacted battery gunk? Dunno. I'll take a stab at putting a pic on abse.

--
/home/wond/Documents/sig.txt
Reply to

A series lampholder might do you, just pick a filament bulb to suit.

The ones I opened a few years ago were all stacked flat rectangle cells. No idea what types they were. I think usually they're whichever version you dont want.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The OP said 200 (TWO HUNDRED) amps. Nothing mentioned so far comes anywhere near being capable of 200 AMPS. :-?

--
John G
Reply to

I don't think a carbon pile would be particularly stable, especially as it heats up. You could include it in a feedback loop and use an electromagnet to vary the pressure so as to keep it stable, but that would involve some way of monitoring its resistance.

For low resistance high current purposes, big wirewound resistors with multiple tappings are the cheapest and most stable answer. They are relatively easy to construct from slate bars and resistance wire, but the tapping switch is going to be the most difficult item to design and make.

If you want to go down this route, please ask for more information. I have made several 5 kW* units as replacements in motor-starting applications, so I may be able to help.

*Intermittent rating.
--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk