BFR92AW, B-E junction saturation?

Gents,

In a pulser app I am driving BFR92AW transistors flat-out. Pulse going in is 3.3V -> 5k resistor -> base. Emitter is on ground and there is a few pF across the 5k resistor in order to spiff up the slope. The collector has 10k to the 3.3V rail because I need a very slow rise time after the downward pulse.

Well ... the base would not let go. Sinking 500uA into the base is something these things don't seem to like. Reducing that to 30uA fixed it, works like a champ now.

Did anyone else experience this lately?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

What do you mean "the base would not let go"? Do you mean it took a while to turn off current, or the thing went into latch-up, or just what your title suggests -- i.e., it saturated?

A long time ago I saw a Zetex app note that called out a network on the base that went something like this:

.----||----. | | in o---/\/\---o---/\/\---o---o to base

The capacitor was there to yank charge out of a saturated base. I've tried this, and as long as you can give the cap time to charge up it works a charm (having an input voltage that goes below ground works, too, but where do you find it?).

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Have you considered a Schottky clamp, base-to-collector? It could be that there's just too much charge in that Miller-capacitor junction. When the transistor saturates, the depletion region fills with charge (and that raises the Miller capacitance, 'cuz the insulator is thinner).

Reply to
whit3rd

The base voltage roared to almost 800mV and then when the pulse of even duty cycle goes low for several hundred nsec it would only gradually drop in voltage, down to about 650mV. Since the next pulse came at that point that meant the transistor remained turned on all the time.

Very similar, but I don't have the left resistor. Well, except for the Rdson of the driver which is probably around 10-20ohms.

I can make that easily but it wouldn't help much.

Now that I got this working it turns out my single-diode sampler ain't sampling. Meaning no mountain biking this week until that's fixed. Hurumph!

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Can't really do that here because any ever so small additional capacitance at the collector node is a problem. But that issue is fixed now by greatly reducing the DC base current. For fast switching the gooser cap is still the same and I get the expected sub-nanosecond pulse. It's just that the effect puzzles me since this is an RF transistor.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Check your wiring. With the base resistor bypassed like that the base voltage ought to yank low, unless your source can't sink.

Or is it really that the transistor saturated and is storing like crazy. Try a 2N2369, or equivalent. ...Jim Thompson

"RF" transistors aren't immune from saturation effects. ...Jim Thompson

It sinketh well and hard but seriously, the base won't clear out. If I increase R from 5k to 100k it does and everything is smack dab on spec, as simulated. Including the sampler. It seems the sampler diodes my client got are bad because the next one was a dud as well. Soldered in another brand -> bingo, all woiks.

It must be, somehow. The 2369 is too slow for this. Anyhow, RF transistors used to not do this. Must be a new generational thing ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

[...]

P.S.: The sampler now works. The diode was bad, as was the next one out of the bag. Soldered in another brand and all is well. Unfortunately the footprint won't quite fit so we'll have to create some sort of custom combo-footprint for future situations like this.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Yep. You young bucks can never get anything right >:-} ...Jim Thompson

But it woiks :-)

Actually almost verbatim as simulated.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Is it sampling? What's the sampling rise time?

Oh, I have a Tek 25 ps step generator if that would help.

And these, too...

Non-Boat-Anchors, both.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

500uA base drive to saturate at 3.3/10=330uA ??? Are you some kind of maniac?
Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Yes, you have too much cap on the base, it's holding you on but, all is not lost, try a bakers clamp.

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

That's weird. Now I want to buy some of those parts and investigate. How'd they make it do that?

I'm working on one of those sorts of things too (there's a trade show involved in there someplace). Instead of feeling sorry for ourselves, we could agree to feel sorry for each other!

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

If it's designed for linear operation I'll bet they did something clevah with the doping profile or gommetry of the thing that makes it better in the expected operating range, but way bad when saturated.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Can't say for sure because my scope is too slow but it's a nice crisp

700psec wide pulse. This is the five-buck budget device, the $20 edition is much faster but may never get built if this suffices (which is likely).

Yes, a very nice tool. But I think I am almost much done with this project other than optimization, clean-up, software massaging, figuring our some more SW tricks and so on. Next one up is a fast PWM.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I have absolutely no idea, first time I experienced this. It has nothing to do with Miller because it also happens when there is nothing connected to the collector. Seems to be the B-E junction doing that.

Yes :-)

If you use HSMS-286B in there and it leaks like heck or won't sample, try another brand. I seem to have ended with up diodes from a bad batch. Now it all works.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Yeah, that sort of thing happens with off-label use of parts. But OTOH that's often the only way to design cost-efficient high-tech gear. In this case the 10c for RF transistors versus the 50c for SRDs did make a difference.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

To be on the safe side. It's commonly done in pulsers and works, just not on this transistor. One has to keep in mind that they have very little gain.

[...]