Can an electronics student join?

Those were real jobs and we talked about them in some detail. In the area of analog companies are sometimes desparate.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Same here :-)

You never know. One couple was close to 50 years and then got divorced because of irreconcileable difference. Whatever those might have been.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Definitely not something you see (or, should hope to see) in an induction shop! :)

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation

I'm not sure what your point is. Headhunters contact me all the time about real jobs. That is what they do, find people for real jobs... they get paid for that. That is very different from landing an offer.

--

Rick
Reply to

Get a plastic wedding ring. Cracker Jacks sometimes has them.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I quit wearing mine 30 years ago. We weren't allowed to wear jewelry in any of the labs and I had a problem wearing watches anyway so just stopped wearing any. When the kid was young hers got hung up in playground equipment, her finger swelled up and she had to have it cut off. She had mine resized and wore it for several years. We then bought new ones for our 25th. I lost the second one a few years later. I couldn't sleep with it on so left it on the dresser. I have no idea where it went from there. She still wears hers (and her grandmothers engagement ring). We just passed 43 years so she's (I'm) stuck too.

Reply to
krw

While analog isn't becoming obsolete, there is less demand (and, yes, even less supply) for analog circuits. If you're looking for a specialty with huge demand and little supply, it's RF. Either of these specialties will probably mean that you'll be moving to where the work is, though.

Reply to
krw

Heck, that has been the perception for a long time. I used to talk stocks with a friend and when I suggested that Analog Devices might be a good buy at one point she demurred saying they sounded a bit obsolete. lol Not only is analog far from obsolete, she didn't realize that ADI was one of the premier digital signal processing companies at the time.

--

Rick
Reply to

TI decided, maybe 10 years ago, to stop battling for zero-margin cell phone chip business and emphasize analog and data conversion. Picked up Burr-Brown and National, too. Looks like a smart move.

I see lots of demand for precision analog, photonics, and picosecond digital stuff, which is really analog.

LTC does good charging premium prices for analog chips, dollars per opamp. Huge dollars per square mm of silicon ratio.

I think the IC houses are soaking up a lot of the analog-oriented EE grads, which makes more demand for us parts-on-boards guys.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

TI was still in the phone CPU business until they got kicked out recently. Those processors still live on, though they laid off much of that business line. TI is pretty much in everything. ...though I agree that National was a good purchase. It was cheap enough and filled out their analog line very well.

Yep. They're charging for support. Their market is more of a niche, where support can be sold for big bucks. LTC isn't so strong in the high volume markets.

I don't think there are than many to go around, in the first place.

Reply to
krw

Very typical of a thread in s.e.d. The OP asks a simple question and the thread is hijacked and goes on and on and on...

--

Rick
Reply to

...meaning, all of us at times need to CURL up to a good electronics & math reference.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Yes, TI decided to add analog including power to their line up some time ago. But that had nothing to do with an idea of quitting the cell phone market. No one cares about razor thin margins as long as they can sell millions of a chip. Heck, I remember an FAE talking about a job where they were selling chips to use as fuses, the ultimate one time programmable, lol. Not much margin there but they have to keep buying new ones.

TI decided *recently* to get out of the cell phone CPU market because their customers are making their own CPU chips. That only makes sense if you think about it. Apple and the other phone makers can put in the chip just what they want and have better control over the process not to mention saving even those razor thin margins. If your customers become your competitors it is hard to stay in business.

--

Rick
Reply to

The posters in this thread seem to have frightened him away, shame.

I guess he's now on a very long holiday!

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

Lol - I initially read that as "welding band". Hopefully not. I haven't removed mine since my wedding day in 1981.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

"Conservative thought" has to be an oxymoron, comparable with "military intelligence".

Conservatives do tend to react to objective description as if it were name-calling.

Like Jim-out-of-touch-with-reality-Thompson.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

e:

ing, and I was wondering if I could join this group? I am thinking it would be a good way to learn more from others with more experience and maybe hel p me if I have a problem in school that I can't get answered easily. LOL. I wanted to pop in and ask before I joined.

lots of stuff too. If your budget isn't generous, lots of bits can be had from electronic scrap. Why pay?

o offer, though s.e.repair can get stupid on occasion.

Just ignore it. Take it as a lesson not to go down that path.

But do pay attention to the technical content of his posts. He's rarely wro ng, if intolerant of people who don't share his priorities as well as his i nsights.

ween me and the folks that didn't do that was, what's the word, very eviden t.

Good advice. Mathematical modelling (with Spice) is cheaper, but you do nee d to build examples of your more promising models, because no mathematical model is perfect and sometimes the imperfection do do create real problems.

ll about how can we achieve this AND do it for less than the competition. I ts not about all the bs people say it is to get folks' approval, its about money.

One definition of an engineer is somebody who can do for one dollar what an y fool can do for two. The stuff I've done has been more about doing it mor e precisely for reasonable amounts of money than doing the same thing more cheaply than anybody else, but engineering is a broad church.

dence 99% of the time. The adverts, packaging, sales talk and politician sp ew are 99% bullshit. Or is it 100%?

99%. Total bullshit lacks the hooks that catch the buyer's interest.
--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

te:

ning, and I was wondering if I could join this group? I am thinking it woul d be a good way to learn more from others with more experience and maybe he lp me if I have a problem in school that I can't get answered easily. LOL. I wanted to pop in and ask before I joined.

d lots of stuff too. If your budget isn't generous, lots of bits can be had from electronic scrap. Why pay?

to offer, though s.e.repair can get stupid on occasion.

. Just ignore it. Take it as a lesson not to go down that path.

Wrong. Sydney has a very nice climate. California's weather is memorialised in the song "The Lady is a Tramp" - hate California , it's cold and it's d amp.

Could explain John Larkin.

tween me and the folks that didn't do that was, what's the word, very evide nt.

all about how can we achieve this AND do it for less than the competition. Its not about all the bs people say it is to get folks' approval, its about money.

ing somebody else (employers, customers) pay for it.

Or things that you think are beautiful - an element of narcissism helps the re.

endence 99% of the time. The adverts, packaging, sales talk and politician spew are 99% bullshit. Or is it 100.

d qualititative instincts. Then, when he gets hit with the college EE cours es, a heap of deliberately abstracted circuit theory and signals-and-system s math, bells may ring for him that the other student miss. That's what hap pened to me.

But nowhere near often enough.

nd the familiar circuits was a revelation to me.

It's still a useful skill. You can get analog do do a lot more if you back it up with the right digital hardware. Self-calibration and auto-calibratio n can make some very dodgy high-speed circuits work very precisely for minu tes at time (which is an eternity for a high-speed circuit).

Then again carpentry and lathe-work can also be useful. I was a tolerably c ompetent glass-blower for a while ...

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Hmm...

No further response from Michael.

I smell a troll.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Then there's the old joke about the couple getting a divorce after 78 years. When the lawyer ask, Why after all these years are getting divorced? They responded, we wanted to wait until the children had passed. Mikek

amdx