Can an electronics student join?

Oh, and another "obvious" thing is managers with problems like to talk about them, because they are often obsessed with them.

Reply to
haiticare2011

Other than SED?

--
Reinhardt
Reply to

I'll do it for $100 today or $10 when I get round to it (or tomorrow, but wrong for $25)

Michael Kellett

Reply to
MK

g, and I was wondering if I could join this group? I am thinking it would b e a good way to learn more from others with more experience and maybe help me if I have a problem in school that I can't get answered easily. LOL. I w anted to pop in and ask before I joined.

This ng is a good way to learn. Ask, try things and suggest things. Build l ots of stuff too. If your budget isn't generous, lots of bits can be had fr om electronic scrap. Why pay?

Read the cluster of sci.electronics newsgroups, they all have something to offer, though s.e.repair can get stupid on occasion.

Phil Allison seems to have decided everyone in the world is worth hating. J ust ignore it. Take it as a lesson not to go down that path.

Build, build, build. I did, and by the time I left uni the difference betwe en me and the folks that didn't do that was, what's the word, very evident.

And finally, understand that engineering is ultimately about money. Its all about how can we achieve this AND do it for less than the competition. Its not about all the bs people say it is to get folks' approval, its about mo ney.

There are 2 goals in engineering: better and cheaper. Cheaper takes precend ence 99% of the time. The adverts, packaging, sales talk and politician spe w are 99% bullshit. Or is it 100.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

We do discuss beer now and then.

 Click to see the full signature

I applied for a mechanical/electronic assembly position, and for my interview I took an antenna phasing unit that I built at the kitchen table/workshop. It was one of my nicer in presentation projects that I ever built at home. (is that cheating :-) It just happened to fit in perfectly with the type of work I would be doing. During the interview the interviewer pointed out that I didn't need to use nylon screws to hold the toroid inductors, I said I used them instead of iron out of an abundance of caution. I got the job and had the "abundance of caution" line fed back to me from him many times over the years. Don't know if he realized it. Mikek

amdx

None of the spammers bother with newsgroups any more.

 Click to see the full signature

Also, if you want to get things sent to you, start a business. Really! It doesn't have to make money, but if you go to a lot of manufacturers and ask for samples, then say you are a student, many will just hang up on you. Start a small business, say 'Mike's Electronics' and you have a lot better chance. Read Circuit Cellar, enter contests, apply for free evaluation boards. Before you know it, you can shout BS on your professors... ;-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charles Edmondson

He does get a little cranky now and then. Maybe it's the weather.

yes! See below.

For some people, it's about building beautiful things that work, and letting somebody else (employers, customers) pay for it.

If the OP is pre-college age, a ton of analog build-build will create good qualtitative instincts. Then, when he gets hit with the college EE courses, a heap of deliberately abstracted circuit theory and signals-and-systems math, bells may ring for him that the other student miss. That's what happened to me. The other guys kept taking notes and solving equations, but the math behind the familiar circuits was a revelation to me.

Avoid a lot of coding. Everybody is doing that.

 Click to see the full signature

That abundance of caution is a good thing. I know a guy who almost lost his ring finger when accidentally shorting out something like that. I guess the wedding band is one of the risks of being married :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I am finding the opposite. Once I approached 50 the number of headhunter calls increased but because I was already self-employed I had to turn them all down. From my resume which is on the Internet it is very easy to gauge my age. The usual, army service, year of degree, etc. when they look for consultants it becomes even more pronounced, they ideally want someone who has seen it all and that requires having a few decades of engineering under the belt.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That would be a fairly accurate description of alt.revisionism.

Reply to
jurb6006

That's where Blobbs was born.

Reply to
krw

That sort of insight needs to trickle down to universities but AFAICS it mostly doesn't.

They should be, because it's usually affecting the bottomline of their company in a not so good way. When I discuss a consulting relationship with a new client their problem at hand is usually all we talk about. That can occasionally result in them not needing me anymore like it did in one case earlier this year. I suggested that we should look at a very different way of building their system and this caused a big "Shazam! Really?" light to turn on at the company. The new architecture made their problem go away and moved almost the whole project into software (which isn't my field) so they didn't need me anymore.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I've found it goes both ways but more in line with what you're saying, the cost of an experienced engineer isn't all that much more than a younger one. The salaries are compressed, these days, so that isn't a big deal. Overhead (space, lights, management, etc.) is the same. There is a little health care difference but for the little difference you get the experience. Some companies see it as a good deal, particularly since the colleges are more interested in teaching script kiddies than hardware design.

Reply to
krw

Oh, there is no shortage of headhunter calls. lol That is a universal constant even more-so than the speed of light.

--

Rick
Reply to

I quit wearing mine many, many years ago, just because of the conduction possibility. The wife was not pleased, she showed me! A couple years later she stopped wearing hers. Somewhat different though, I don't wear any jewelery, not even a watch. She wears all kinds. Going on 34 years, I guess she's going to keep me. Mikek

amdx

You any kin to Phil the Aussie? Mikek

amdx

te:

ning, and I was wondering if I could join this group? I am thinking it woul d be a good way to learn more from others with more experience and maybe he lp me if I have a problem in school that I can't get answered easily. LOL. I wanted to pop in and ask before I joined.

d lots of stuff too. If your budget isn't generous, lots of bits can be had from electronic scrap. Why pay?

to offer, though s.e.repair can get stupid on occasion.

. Just ignore it. Take it as a lesson not to go down that path.

I think its his view on the world.

tween me and the folks that didn't do that was, what's the word, very evide nt.

all about how can we achieve this AND do it for less than the competition. Its not about all the bs people say it is to get folks' approval, its about money.

ing

Yes... I was aware when writing it there are exceptions. 99% of the time it s money though, so a strong eye on the bottom line is a real asset.

endence 99% of the time. The adverts, packaging, sales talk and politician spew are 99% bullshit. Or is it 100.

s, a

th,

to me.

nd the

Yes, analogue is the area to go into now. Its an easy choice. The fashion i s to think analogue is fast becoming obsolete, but its not and there's no l ikelihood of it doing so any decade soon. The result is a shortage of analo g folks ahead. But if your skills/interests lie elsewhere, so be it.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Try rec.boats, much worse than here. They also have a knee jerk liberal that hates any conservative thought. Lots of name calling from him. Mikek

amdx