Brits are too dumb to learn metric units!

EU gives up in despair...

John

and what are Homer's of your country using?

Run VT Cue lights

Cue Eeyore, stage right....

and then

Cue dumbness

Martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

"At last someone has exercised an ounce of commonsense..."

"milligram of commonsense" just doesn't sound right.

"microgram of commonsense?"

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

We measure homers in feet. Which reminds me, I'm going to a Giants game after work, so I'd better stay hungry.

John

Sorry, that is utterly lost on a Euro liberal humanoid, but it sounds good, enjoy, but why go hungry?

Ramadan?

Martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

Foot long hot dog?

Reply to
linnix

And garlic fries, and beer.

John

I saw this a couple of days ago while searching for the latent of fusion of polycarbonate:

sure I could do the conversions - but instead I gave up in despair.

And this sort of stuff pervades US high tech companies like Lockheed. Unbelievable.

Reply to
richard mullens

Don't they serve Gordon Biersch? I thought you find that too hoppy.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

What's wrong with the BTU? After all, it has a British twang to it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Yes - the amount of heat required to raise one pound of water by 1 degree fahrenheit - if my recollection from 1964 is correct.

And from Wikipedia Fahrenheit is a temperature scale named after the German-Dutch physicist Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit (1686?1736), who proposed it in 1724.

Reply to
richard mullens

They have other stuff, too.

For our foreign friends, the game is baseball, and the ballpark is here:

Baseball is actually a rather elegant game as compared, to, say, american football or soccer or rugby.

John

polycarbonate:

Thermal conductivity:

1 (btu ft) / (h ft^2 F) = 1.730735 W/(m K) [Perry's Chemical Engineers' Handbook, 7th Ed, Table 1-4] or, 1 (btu in) / (h ft^2 F) = 0.1442279 W/(m K)

You could always do the conversion factors (use something like convert.exe; Google for it) for the BTU, etc. The tough part is converting the F to K; use a 5/9 or 9/5 conversion factor there; never mind the +/- 32.

Specific Heat Capacity:

1 BTU / (lb F) = 4.1868 J/(g K) [ibid]

Have fun,

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

I dunno... I kind of liked the idea that a volt times an amp equals a watt, which just happens to equal a joule per second...

Is there a British equivalent? British amp? British volt? No? Why not?

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

From the article:

"Things such as pints and miles and feet and inches are what makes us love Britain."

If that's all it takes...

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

Nope, that would be an Imperial volt.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Because, even if grandma can't get her head around the idea of buying a kilo of spuds, at least British engineers manage to use the metric system for everything (well, unless they're using parts which are made in the US).

Mils? Those are what used to be called "thou"(sandths) way back before I was born, right? Engineers use millimetres or microns, and grandma has no need of anyt unit that small.

Essentially, imperial units have become the preserve of people who can't perform simple addition without a calculator, can't perform division with one, and put 13Amp fuses in everything.

Reply to
Nobody

Having owned more than one Austin Healey, I'm convinced that Lucas uses electrical units unknown to the rest of the world.

G.

Reply to
ghelbig

Un bel giorno snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com digitò:

Which king's bowel movements-derived units of measure are available for smaller amounts of common sense?

--
emboliaschizoide.splinder.com
Reply to

The article talks about Imperial measures, but for weight measures I think the more correct term is "avoirdupoids."

Reply to
gearhead