breaking the speed of light article on howstuffworks.com

[...]

Yes this is very much the sort of thing that is done. You will have to know exactly how far it is the mirror. Knowing the distance is easiest if you range to it with a laser beam. This turns this version into something more like the interferance version.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

It's been two years since I took that quantum course. Am I wrong?

Reply to
Geodanah

Or cases where the PHBs tell the engineers how to engineer. After showing them the negative delays they were smart enough to agree that "threshold to threshold" made a tad more sense than 50-to-50.

--
  Keith
Reply to

So you're standing behind the proposition tha light has no KE?

--
  Keith
Reply to

For a lot of reasons, light can not go faster than itself in a vacuum. To go faster than light, it is necessary to resort to using alternate techniques. To try to wrap your mind around the conceptual difficulty this poses, check out my website:

You do need to understand some quantum physics, and know what probabilities are, but if you are as good as you say you are, this should be easy stuff.

Reply to
Greysky

Yes, if you want an asteroid in your bathtub.

John

Diffusion equations are more fun.

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

yep. rather tricky actually - geophysics really. I have a very interesting book on acoustic waveguides - oceanics. fascinating stuff, all the underlying physics is much the same as we use for electromagnetics, its just nastier - anisotropy and inhomogeneity are the order of the day.

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

What, dont get Northrop Grumman to do half the calcs, NASA the other half?

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given