breaking the speed of light article on howstuffworks.com

"14 = 9th grade? Algebra, sounds about right. You're doing well. Keep up the interest."

Actually, 8th grade, but in 9th grade math. Still in 8th grade science, but will be working on a research project a couple days a week instead of class because class got too easy for me and I was bored to death. They're doing convection, conduction, and radiation. It's like sitting in a chair for an hour listening to a repetitive explanation of why one plus one equals two.

Reply to
~~SciGirl~~

It all drives me mentally crazy, it's really abstract. I try not to be bothered by it, because someday it might be figured out. Some things maybe should be left unknown for a time. I believe there is a form of energy we haven't discovered yet that will explain such things, and that there is some property of it - and I'm not quite sure what, just a vague idea - that can somehow be flipped or inversed or something like that. It's hard to explain because it is really just a vague idea in my own mind.

I'm not going to just rule out the possibility of exceeding C, though, because the equations say it's not possible. Maybe we need to further revise our perceptions of space and time, not the equations, or something like that.

The amount man knows in comparison to the amount there is out there to know is ridiculously tiny, so we really cannot rely on the equations. Every fundamental quality of the universe we describe might be incorrect.

Reply to
~~SciGirl~~

Just for the record... I intend to be a meteorologist when I grow up, not a physicist.

Reply to
~~SciGirl~~

I looked at it...

It's certainly seeming to be a controversial topic. I'm keeping an open mind. Maybe, maybe not. But I don't really agree with the thinking that the cable could move things faster than lightspeed.

In however many billion years, the Sun will become a supergiant and will engulf the Earth. At that time, humans will probably need to relocate. By then, if it is possible, we might be able to teleport or something. It can be disputed that we might be extinct by then anyways, but from my religious beliefs (the Baha'i faith) humans will still exist then. Please, nobody start an argument over the link between science and religion or something, I will let you think what you think in peace. Different opinions are okay.

Reply to
~~SciGirl~~

I find all this interesting, but I just enjoy meteorology more. This is a little too abstract for me.

Reply to
~~SciGirl~~
*an off camera meteorologist
Reply to
~~SciGirl~~

It is compelling to believe that there could be some way to exceed C. On one hand, it's great to be "pushing the envelope" by researching such things, but on the other hand, don't let simple lust blind you into believing something is real when it is not. Any theories are just heresay until proven otherwise. This reminds me of a post I saw here recently which went something like this... (use a monospaced font like Courier):

Scientists Discover New Waveform: /-------------------------------\ | . | | \\ | | \ \ | | _______) \______ | | Time--> | \-------------------------------/ The Sharktooth

Here's my two cents. Einstein's Time/Frame notion - and the notion that light can travel faster than C with respect to other light - seems to be consistent with observations made scientifically. i.e., measure the speed of light on two opposing edges of an expanding universe from the center, and they have an escaping velocity *delta* faster than C. But no light actually travels faster than C in it's frame.

The other idea is that if string theory is correct, what if "FTL" is simply the

12th dimension? (I can't stand that vagueness about string theory - "if something doesn't work right, just add another dimension...")

That said, also interesting the the propagation speed of EM radiation with respect to C in various mediums. Research for instance, the speed of "c" in an iron powder medium; the answer might surprise you.

-- "I think the state of the universe at the moment of conceptulization determines part of how an entity further interacts with the rest of its reality, and hence our experience with it." MCJ 200311

Reply to
Mark Jones

Also, there's too much math with all this, and I don't particularly enjoy math. Meteorology involves significantly less. I worked so hard to pull off a B this term in math. If it wasn't for a notebook check and a few other easy A's, my report card would have looked like this; A, A, A, A, D (the D being math of course) I make so many careless errors it's ridiculous, so I wouldn't be a trustworthy physicist.

Reply to
~~SciGirl~~

"It's the "del" operator of vector Calculus. See page 3 of..."

Oh, great, the calculus again. There's no escaping. Of course, it had to be a calculus operator. (groan)

Reply to
~~SciGirl~~

The timer just went off, I have to go take my pasta salad off the stove. I'll check back in a little while.

Reply to
~~SciGirl~~

In the Baha'i faith no one of any age is permitted to ingest wine or any other alcohol. (no one reply to this, I just had to say it. Stay on the topic of breaking the light speed barrier, please) :)

Reply to
~~SciGirl~~

Travel

thing

without

possible

wormholes

appeared

Google.

speed

is

matter,

the

Meaning that those that use calculus are useless to a 15 year old with Algebra experience.

Reply to
Geodanah

E=MC^2-GammaMV is the full equation. Gamma is proportional to how fast you are going. It effects length contraction, time dilation, and apparent mass. Basically, by looking at the equations, as you get closer and closer to the speed of light, you're apparent mass gets larger and larger with your mass equalling infinity at the speed of light. Hence it would take an infinite amount of energy for you to get to the speed of light. Photons get around this by being massless.

Reply to
Geodanah

Calculus was necessary for physics to really begin. Newton created calculus, which then helped him create classical physics. Calculus by definition is the mathematics of changing variables, which is kinda necessary to describe anything in the real world. The only thing constant in life is change.

Reply to
Geodanah

It's the "del" operator of vector Calculus. See page 3 of...

http://35.9.69.219/home/modules/pdf_modules/m479.pdf

...Jim Thompson

Why trouble? Put the trigger device midway between the shutter and the detector and run coax (or any other signal medium) to both. By symmetry, they are triggered simultaneously regardless of separation. There are lots of simple ways to do this.

There's really no doubt that ordinary photons travel at C, and there are no known non-ordinary photons. Maxwell determined this in 1873,

C = 1/sqrt(Eo*Uo)

and Einstein agreed, on other grounds.

If anything could travel ftl, it wouldn't be a photon.

John

With your obvious mental talents, I'd aim a wee bit higher... unless you want to be on the TV news hour ;-)

...Jim Thompson

14 years old ?!?! Wow!

...Jim Thompson

That quantum physics test is not very good. I took a course on quantum physics and the test has some issues.

Reply to
Geodanah

And ~~SciGirl~~ can cook, too ;-)

...Jim Thompson