Brain teaser: Would 300 Hz TV solve the European - US compatibility problem?

memory).

about

little

and

coulomb

from

frame),

photon

The older they are, the longer the jugs?

BTW, anyone have an opinon on whether the Tek 7000 mainframes are still a good buy?

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

little

and

coulomb

frame),

photon

Right, their streak camera scope thing. Did they stop making it? I wanted to buy one at one point, because that would have allowed me to do single-pulse picosecond measurements.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

memory).

receiving

being

about

little

and

coulomb

from

assembly.

frame),

photon

low

Oooooooh! That's one of those statements that can get you in BIG trouble ;-)

I wouldn't know. The only things I use a 'scope (*) for are G-jobs ;-)

  • Leader LBO 325 & TEK TDS 210 ...Jim Thompson

                           LOSE the WUSS
                          BRING BACK BUSH

From video compression point of view, the main interest is generating good quality motion vectors and then it is trivial to display a video at say 137.731 Hz frame rate.

A high filming rate (say 300 Hz) would help in generating good quality motion vectors.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

On a sunny day (Tue, 22 Sep 2009 20:50:12 +0300) it happened Paul Keinanen wrote in :

Yes interpolation works, but only so much.

If you look at mpeg2 encoded material frame by frame, then some of those interpolated frames look like well eh... crap.

There is an open source programs that can do frame rate conversion, 'yuvmotionfps', tried it a couple of times, here a script to convert 640x480@20fps to 60 fps H264 AVI:

##canon_a470_big_to_60fps_h264 echo "Extracting audio." ffmpeg -i $1 -f wav $1.wav sleep 1 echo "Encoding to H264 at 60 fps." ffmpeg -i $1 -f yuv4mpegpipe -b 5000 -vcodec pgmyuv -y /dev/stdout \\ | \\ yuvmotionfps -r 60:1 \\ | \\ ffmpeg -i $1.wav -f yuv4mpegpipe -i - -f avi -vcodec h264 -r 30 -b 1000 -g 300

-bf 2 -ar 48000 -y $1_60_fps_h264.avi echo "Ready, file is $1_60fps_h264.avi"

The results are well, what they are :-)

20->60 is not that bad, 25->30 would be trickier. You can experiment all you want with this though.
Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I do the same under a $100 Veho science-project style USB microscope. Meaning I can see it even when moving about in front of the lab bench. The good old days are right now :-)

Except there's no much worth watching anymore. Either it's brutality junk teaching kids massacres, or the DTV signal blue-screens.

Then, yesterday, we sat out on the deck and watched Dancing with the Stars. This is one of the high-viewership events on US-TV during the year. The audio was very screwed up. Every 15mins or so a red blurb saying in essence "Audio problems, will fix as soon as possible". They didn't fix it in two (!) hours. Is there no backup these days anymore? Audio guy on vacation? Puleeze ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

On a sunny day (Tue, 22 Sep 2009 11:38:20 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

It wil only get worse as the US falls behind into a third world place.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Only because you are an idiot for missing the obvious point of it. :-)

You encode a file on the fly. During the encode, it gets converted to

30fps avi. Then, you stream that file to the display. The rate is corrected.

We call it a buffer, but in this case, it manipulates it along the way.

As far as "solving the Euro US compatibility problem" goes, they already have solved it. Where have you been?

What do you guys do on the DVD to go from a 24 fps film, to your 50Hz PAL? (The right question is what did they do in the telecine conversion to PAL DVD to handle the disparity) You guys have always simply cheated by cutting one frame per second, right?

We have 3:2 pull down, and many TVs these days will actually do 24 fps. But yes, for 60Hz we do some frame duplication or blurring in the Laser Disc days. But that is confusing films with sources and displays for video signals...

You need: a modern film storage/distribution technology like BluRay, and you need a modern display technology, like a 16:9 LCD or Plasma. Not sure what scan rates get sold on HD form TVs over there.

Getting all in the "you need" category will fix your problem.

You could simply get a 60Hz camera too. Some cameras have internal switches that will let you switch that mode as well.

You could also get a video card that has a video in port. This will allow you to process it completely within your desktop, and pipe it to any display.

Reply to
Capt. Cave Man

You are talking about a camera for a magnifier, yes?

Wake up.

Reply to
Capt. Cave Man

Not if LCD displays are involved.

Reply to
Capt. Cave Man

and combined in the monitor.

Wrong again.

Depends on the source content and transport medium.

Reply to
Capt. Cave Man

Bwuahahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahaahahahahahaha!

You belong over in the kook group.

Reply to
Capt. Cave Man

I think it's gone. I saw one in their demo room in Hamamatsu, but they couldn't get it to trigger.

But it wasn't single-pulse, at least not the one I saw. It was an actual equivalent-time sampler.

Tek used to resell the French 7 GHz single-shot scan-conversion-tube scope. My friend Bernard worked on it at In-Snec and still sells them!

Cute company name and logo, don't you think?

Nowadays a digital scope can capture an entire X-band radar pulse. Just apply money.

John

If it's the one I saw, it had a highest sweep speed of 1 ps/div, but that was real time, not equivalent time. That was why it was better than my 11801C (which I already had).

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058
hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Can you actually work on a decent-sized PC board under it? How far is the lens from the board? None of the Veho's that I see look like they have much working distance or stage size.

John

Long term, the US has good prospects: a young, breeding, hard-working population; lots of water, minerals, wood, and especially food; and it's still a magnet for the brightest people in the world.

Europe is running out of people; China is running out of water; Africa is always a mess; the ex-Spanish and Portugese countries are held back by corruption.

And it's the bast place on Earth to design electronics.

John

A few of the plugins let you do stuff a digital scope can't. The 7A22 diffamp and the 7A13 comparator are fabulous for low-level and high precision work. I sometimes use one of them, and a 7000 frame, to front-end a digital scope.

The 7104 (1 GHz microchannel-plate) scopes are often cheap and are mighty handy for fast stuff.

But a color digital scope is all that most people need.

The 11801 series of samplers are great buys these days, if you're working in picoseconds.

John

If the original video camera used the full 1/50 s or 1/60 s integration time, any rapid motion would cause motion blur in the video output. Making good quality motion vectors for compression would be hard or impossible.

A much shorter integration would be needed for generation of good motion vectors and hence sharp regeneration at the display.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

On a sunny day (Tue, 22 Sep 2009 17:25:21 -0700) it happened Capt. Cave Man wrote in :

Actually I was talking abouf frame rates.

And teh expression 'camera for a magnifier' is weird.

Any camera can magnify, depends on the optics. The Mantis thing is mainly about stereo vision with cameras.

Hope you hear that cry. But even then, modern technology could well be beyon a Caveman's abilities. Keep trying thoug.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Tue, 22 Sep 2009 17:24:22 -0700) it happened Capt. Cave Man wrote in :

Well, we play it at 25, your voice sounds a bit higher pitch, but it was always already a bit like that, so who notices.

The problem is the monitor refresh rate, not genlock or a digitiser.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje