BPSK modulation of fast pulses

I have set up a SRD-based pulse generator that outputs pulses between

0..5-10 V with leading edges of ~100ps to a 50R load. Pulse repetition frequency is 20 MHz. Input pulses are 5ns wide with 2ns edges. The output pulse is being radiated by an UWB antenna (cone monopole, horn, ...).

Now, I am trying to find a way to BPSK modulate this pulses (simple inversion), preserving the fast leading edges. Up to now, I have considered two alternatives:

  1. Use a mini-circuits diode-quad + transformer based mixer, where the LO signal switches the diodes.

  1. Build a (discrete) pin-diode quad, feeding the adequate bias through resistors.

I would appreciate your thoughts on these or other alternatives!

Since mixers are usually not specified in the time domain, I would expect that the mixer approach would lead to severe time-domain degradation. But perhaps it is ok if the mixer works up to 10 GHz? Also, power specification is somewhat unclear with this kind of signals (?).

Otoh, switching narrowband (i.e. around a carrier) RF signals with pin-diodes is well-known. How about the time-domain degradation that should be expected? The edges will certainly be smoothed, but how much? Any particular experience with specific diodes?

Pere

Reply to
oopere

Why would edges be smoothed? PIN diodes when properly used act as almost ideal RF switches. There are also integrated RF muxes for 2.45GHz apps,

5GHz, and such, from the major brands. However, so far I have preferred the multi-source nature of PIN diodes. I don't like to lock parts of a design into one particular manufacturer.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Yike! At 10 volts? The diodes would probably break down.

You could possibly build a coaxial inverter (I posted one recently) and switch the junctions with some gaasfets or pins.

There's probably some balun-like thing that would invert or not invert depending on whether a pin is grounded. The grounding device could be a beefy phemt maybe. Hmmm, that's almost equivalent to the previous suggestion.

Phemts do seem to behave roughly like jfets, as far as analog switch biasing goes.

Interesting, but not a simple problem.

coax in =======================--------x---------+ |

---------------------------+---x---------+---->out | ======================= | +---->

where the x's are switches of some sort and the coax is longer than the pulse width. Add a ferrite maybe.

John

How about these?

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Nice part, but the carrier lifetime is too long for a 20 Mhz data rate.

John

Yeah, true, even for these power levels it's a bit highish. The BAP63 would be around 300nsec, the BAP65 is under 200nsec, same price range:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

If you really need no degradation at all of the edge speed, maybe build two of these things, and put the antenna of one of them upside down. You can then put the positive pulses through the first transmitter and the negative pulses through the other... Actually you could put both antennas inside a waveguide or similar, protruding through opposite faces, that way the pulses could be made to appear to radiate from the same location regardless of polarity.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

,

wo

an

ve

ss

this entire discussion about BPSK of impulses has me scratching my head...

it seems for the case of impulses, it is not realy PHASE modulation but rather POLARITY modulation...

and even with conventional carrier based signals using doubled balanced mixes as modulators, that is also really polarity modulation and not really 180 deg phase modulation..

Purists are always correcting people when they say 240 Volts 2 phase AC power when they really mean 2 polarity.... Strictly speaking 180 deg phase shift is NOT the same thing as polarity inversion but it is close enough in many cases.

So for the special case of BPSK created with a DB mixer,,....I'm starting to think that the P should actually stand for POLARITY and not PHASE. For QPSK etc, the P is obviously phase.

And I guess if you made a BPSK modulator with a delay or complex IQ multiplier instead of a DB mixer, you could not tell the difference between the two signals at the receiver anyway...

Its probably 6 of one and 1/2 a dozen of the other but interesting to think about over a beer.

Mark

Reply to
makolber

The idea of using two different antennas may be worth a try for testing purposes. It should work nicely in the broadside direction of the resulting "array". However, I did not get your idea on how I could make the antennas seem to radiate from the same direction.

Pere

Reply to
oopere

You are right, BPSK is just a synonym form "sign inversion keying", sometimes also called PRK (phase reversal keying)!

Pere

Reply to
oopere

Thanks for your input! For the pulses not to be degraded I need (almost) constant gain _and_ (almost) linear phase up to 10GHz. From what I have read so far, designs based on switches with PIN diodes are usually not characterized taking phase into account. Multiplexers behaving well up to 10 GHz are also not so common...

Pere

Reply to
oopere

Also, multiplexers may not like the pulse amplitude!

Pere

Reply to
oopere

Thanks for the info, John. I also have the feeling that some king of balun arrangement would be able to provide the inversion. But, to be honest, I have not been able to understand them in a rigorous way, i.e. to find a model that fully explains the role and differences of all those "gnd" symbols.

Pere

Reply to
oopere

Thanks, Joerg. But all these have very limited isolation even at 3 GHz. Perhaps I am overlooking something but I think they would not work!

Pere

Reply to
oopere

They're just the ground plane. That circuit should work pretty well with four pin diodes as the x gadgets, if you can find some pins with suitably fast carrier lifetimes to allow 20 MHz operation.

You'll need some dc blocks and biasing drivers, of course.

There's probably a more clever way to do it, possibly with a single switch to ground.

John

Well, you can't get around the capacitances. Only politicians can try to make those "go away" with some fancy creative budgeting :-)

You'll need T-structures and such to yield good isolation. OTOH PIN-diodes are very cheap, so that would not be a big deal.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Probably best to throw it onto SPICE and take a look, faster than crunching numbers on the old HP calculator. I've done lots of diode switches where phase was very critical but it was baseband stuff, under

50MHz.

Yep, 10V is a stretch. You could visit the web sites of the better RF vendors such as Sirenza and Hittite but my feeling is that you'll end up with diodes here. Or maybe a 2nd SRD generator.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I guess I meant to just combine the signals before making them radiate from one hole (e.g. horn antenna). Without knowing more about the application I don't know how much it matters anyway.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

I do not know of anything that will properly preserve those fast edges. I suspect using two SRD pulse formers connected in opposite polarity through a broadband combiner (oops may be tractable). Hmmm how about feeding the SRD pulse former into the center tap of a wideband transformer, with a pair of oppositely driven gaasfets connecting one end or the other to ground, then the secondary has polarity inversions. Well maybe, those fast edges make things tough.

Reply to
JosephKK