BPSK AWGN variance calculation from SNR

Hi all,

I'm trying to write a simple BPSK through an AWGN channel. I'm currently taking a file of binary data and going 1 bit at a time through it and doing the following: if the bit is 1 equate the bpsk form to +1/sqrt(2) if the bit is 0 equate the bpsk form to -1/sqrt(2)

So far so go, now I want to simulate an AWGN channel, with the hopes of calculate a BER from between what went into the AWGN channel and what came out.

I've setup a Gaussian / normal distribution random number generator, with mean of 0.0, but I've having difficulty calculating the variance. I'm simulating this only using Eb/No or SNR in dB form.

Is the formula for variance like so:

sigma = sqrt(1.0 / 2.0 * 10 ^ ((Eb/_No) / 10.0));

or

sigma = sqrt(1.0 / 2.0 * 10 ^ (SNR / 10.0));

all help and comments will be appreciated very much.

-Sherrie

Reply to
Sherrie Laraurens

Lookup Shannon's law.