BJT VHF frequency doubler circuits

overdrive a transistor so it is non-linear and tune the output tank to the desired output freq.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Over-driving a transistor gives output rich in ODD harmonics.

An ordinary diff pair driven just right produces a nice second-order component... see the harmonic mixer patent on my website.

...Jim Thompson

hi all, I was wondering if anyone has a circuit design for a simple VHF frequency doubler.

cheers, Kevin.

Reply to
Kevin Doyle

Great! Do you know if a 2 pole low pass filter set above the desired freq would sufice to cut out the harmonics generated by the over drivin stage?

Reply to
Kevin Doyle

one idea is to think about a full wave rectifier bridge.

Jure Z.

Reply to
jure

Or a push-push doubler--two transistors, drive the bases differentially, and wire the collectors in parallel. All the odd-order stuff cancels, including the fundamental.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

good point! I was think square wave rich in odd harmonics.. for EVEN you need asymmetry about the time access..wave form shape.

A fet based unit pumping on a varactor load would distort nicely.

as for # poles... more poles will suppress the fundamental and thirds etc.. so you need to know how clean you need..

Marco

frequency

Reply to
Marc Popek

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 03:02:40 +0100, Kevin Doyle top-posted:

Geez! Just make a tuned circuit at the target frequency, and let the harmonics go to the bit bucket! Fr = 1/(2 * pi * sqrt(L * C)).

Good Luck! Rich [and I've heard that top-posting is frowned upon amongst da prose.]

Reply to
Rich Grise