Is circuits, amplifier, BJT applicable in current market?

Hi there.

I have gradated last with a Bachelor Degree in Electronics
Engineering. After joining the work force, I find that those analogue
stuff, circuits analysis stuff are not as useful or important as I
thought. Is that true?

I see many things are done by programming. MCU, DSP, FPGA and Visual
Basic, C++. I see some people don't really border much about circuits
and mostly don't really know much about it, or not border to go
further.

I am interested in circuits and electrical signal because I think it
is the most basic element that connects. But looking at the industry,
more functions can only implemented by having Know How on MCU and
other programmable stuff. And that doesn't really need very deep
understanding on circuits, as the supplier and vendor could provide
help, application notes and others. So the value that we can add is
programming, I assume.

Is that true? What do you think and do you have any doubts as I do?

Re: Is circuits, amplifier, BJT applicable in current market?
It's true that much of the "heavy" systems work has migrated towards
software techniques. That trend was beginning when I graduated in
Electronics in 1968! In the end, though, it's an analogue world (until you
get down to the quantum level, where it's merely uncertain). I've seen some
horrendous hardware interfaces, fairly recently, which no amount of software
tinkering can ever fix. If you've been taught worst-case design, consider
yourself one of a rare and important breed. Don't abandon your electronics;
keep up with it!

Having said that, you will need to gather some software skills to enhance
your career opportunities and to understand software issues, which will come
up all the time. Important keywords for you, I suspect, are "embedded" (as
you know) and "DSP". Software is much easier to learn than Electronics, as I
know, having done both. That's not to say it's trivial!

Congratulations on entering your career from the right end (in my opinion).

Regards,

Peter Bushell.

Re: Is circuits, amplifier, BJT applicable in current market?
I think having knowledge of circuits is very helpful in the embedded world. I'm
a software guy and I wish I had that knowledge. I'm working on it. As it is, I
must work with good enginers/technicians to solve problems.

Applications notes and datasheets have been know to be very wrong or
incomplete. Likewise, technical support is not always all that helpful. The
more you know, the better.

Re: Is circuits, amplifier, BJT applicable in current market?
analog design enginneer and the most valuable of these is the rf design
engineer.

Ian

Re: Is circuits, amplifier, BJT applicable in current market?

This is a bit like saying that learning the alphabet is not useful or
important for learning philosophy :)

Electronics knowledge is *invaluable* for an embedded developer.  You
have the easy path ahead of you; I started in software and learned
hardware later; starting with digital hardware. I am still learning
about analog issues; I wish I had learned things the "right way up"
because it would have been much easier.

Re: Is circuits, amplifier, BJT applicable in current market?
On 17 Sep 2003 03:53:41 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Jeffrey Chee)

You could contact companies doing

- analog integrated circuit design
- high power audio/switching mode power supply design
- designing products for high frequencies (f > 1 GHz)

Paul

Re: Is circuits, amplifier, BJT applicable in current market?

   All the digital/software stuff you mentioned is huge and
(long-term) a growth market, but 'general hardware knowledge'
including analog is still important. Just page through the book
"High-Speed Digital Design" and you'll see a lot of the basic analog
stuff (pulses through RC and RLC circuits) stuff is used.
   Post this on sci.electronics.design and see what response you get.

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley

Site Timeline