voltage doubler

I am building a simple full wave voltage doubler to power some external circuits . I also want to use it at half voltage for lower voltage circuits.

I am thinking that in this circuit I could take an output across just one of the capacitors as it seems to be a halfwave circuit with added components. Will this work or do need to put in a switch to switch out the other capacitor and or rectifier?

voltage-doubler.png

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

** Yep.

Symmetrical loading is not required.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

About the easiest way to do it is thus -

Version 4 SHEET 1 880 680 WIRE 352 64 208 64 WIRE 608 64 352 64 WIRE 688 64 608 64 WIRE 208 96 208 64 WIRE 352 96 352 64 WIRE 608 96 608 64 WIRE 208 176 208 160 WIRE 208 176 -16 176 WIRE 208 208 208 176 WIRE 352 208 352 160 WIRE 416 208 352 208 WIRE 560 208 496 208 WIRE 32 240 -16 240 WIRE 32 304 32 240 WIRE 416 304 416 208 WIRE 416 304 32 304 WIRE 208 320 208 272 WIRE 352 320 352 272 WIRE 352 320 208 320 WIRE 560 320 560 272 WIRE 560 320 352 320 WIRE 608 320 608 160 WIRE 608 320 560 320 WIRE 688 320 608 320 SYMBOL diode 224 272 R180 WINDOW 0 24 64 Left 2 WINDOW 3 24 0 Left 2 SYMATTR InstName D1 SYMBOL diode 368 272 R180 WINDOW 0 24 64 Left 2 WINDOW 3 24 0 Left 2 SYMATTR InstName D2 SYMBOL diode 368 160 R180 WINDOW 0 24 64 Left 2 WINDOW 3 24 0 Left 2 SYMATTR InstName D3 SYMBOL diode 224 160 R180 WINDOW 0 24 64 Left 2 WINDOW 3 24 0 Left 2 SYMATTR InstName D4 SYMBOL sw 512 208 R90 SYMATTR InstName S1 SYMBOL cap 544 208 R0 SYMATTR InstName C1 SYMBOL cap 592 96 R0 SYMATTR InstName C2 TEXT -128 208 Left 2 ;AC input TEXT 680 192 Left 2 ;DC output TEXT 368 136 Left 2 ;closed for doubler TEXT 40 288 Left 2 ;neutral TEXT 40 152 Left 2 ;hot

Only 2 caps and 4 diodes.

Reply to
jurb6006

** However, transformers have limited ability to supply current into a half wave load - in some cases only 10% of the rated current before unacceptable core magnetisation offset occurs.

The primary current soon becomes large & very asymmetrical, accompanied by a growling noise and overheating.

.... Phil

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

What is the program that uses this format ?

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

LTSpice 4

There is a newer version but hardly anyone has it, I don't remember why. You might need the newer version on a 64 bit OS.

Reply to
jurb6006

I have played just a little with ltspice in the past. How do I get the text into the program ? When I just copied wat you sent into a txt file and pasted it in, that is all that shows up on the screen, not a schematic.

I did not have it on this computer, so I downloaded the latest version for win 10.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

OK, you get the beginning where it says "Version", you take the mouse and d rag from the beginning there and move the mouse down. You then get to the b ottom. you can tell the commands so you know where they end. Where I wrote "Only two caps and four diodes is NOT part of the text you want.

With all that blued up, or whatever color your scheme makes selected text y ou hit Ctrl+C, or rigthclick and click "Copy" form the box.

Now minimise the browser and whatever, get to the desktop, (or folder some where) and either from the menu or right click hit "New and then go to "Tex t Document". Click that and and let it open. With a left click put the curs or in there and either hit Ctrl+V or rigthclick and hit paste from that box .

It should all appear. Save. You can hit close and it'll ask to save, say ye s. Now go to the file and remname it, but you need to change the extension as well, so I don't know how much trouble newer Windows will give you but y ou rename it to "Whatever.asc". then double click it and it should open up LTSpice and show the schematic. Once you get handy with the program you ca n run simulations on it, after choosing the circuit values of course. It ca n figure out like ripple on that doubler and you can change the cap values and a few other parameters, and for the current draw you need to add a resi stor and specify its value with Ohm's law. Like if you are in the US and in doubler mode and want to see how it performs at 1 amp draw, put a 320 ohm resistor there because it is 320 volts. You DO have to figure out some thin gs, especially component values, it does not have that ability.

Giver it a try and come back with any questions. I am surprised it isn't in the manual actually, it is the modus de jure to put a schematic through a text only medium, such as this newsgroup.

The only main problem with it is that it doesn't have a god damn potentiome ter. There is a way to make one, but I am not good enough with it yet. I wi sh there was a place i could just download it and pout it in the "library" but have not found it. The other problem is that the recipient of the file has to have the symbols all in his library. If not it will display all it c an without whatever it doesn't recognize. That's why I would like to see a pot downloadable, so it is standardized. If five people do it five differen t ways it is not going to work.

If you got a pot in your library we'll have to figure out how to propagate it. Hopefully it'll work in 4.

Yeah right, hopefully, famous last words of the damned. LOL

Reply to
jurb6006

And no bitching about me mixing Latin and French, it's all Greek to me.

Reply to
jurb6006

schematic. Once you get handy with the program you can run simulations on it, after choosing the circuit values of course. It can figure out like ripple on that doubler and you can change the cap values and a few other parameters, and for the current draw you need to add a resistor and specify its value with Ohm's law. Like if you are in the US and in doubler mode and want to see how it performs at 1 amp draw, put a 320 ohm resistor there because it is 320 volts. You DO have to figure out some things, especially component values, it does not have that ability.

Thanks, just changing the text file to .asc was the trick.

I had done the copy and past into notepad but it saved it as a circuit.txt Had I saved it as circuit.asc I would have had it.

It has been a year or two from the last time I looked at LTSpice.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Actually I did that kinda wrong. It is not bad per se, but the right way is -

Version 4 SHEET 1 880 680 WIRE 352 64 208 64 WIRE 608 64 352 64 WIRE 688 64 608 64 WIRE 208 96 208 64 WIRE 352 96 352 64 WIRE 608 96 608 64 WIRE 208 176 208 160 WIRE 208 176 -16 176 WIRE 208 208 208 176 WIRE 352 208 352 160 WIRE 416 208 352 208 WIRE 608 208 496 208 WIRE 608 208 608 160 WIRE 32 240 -16 240 WIRE 608 256 608 208 WIRE 32 304 32 240 WIRE 416 304 416 208 WIRE 416 304 32 304 WIRE 208 320 208 272 WIRE 352 320 352 272 WIRE 352 320 208 320 WIRE 608 320 352 320 WIRE 688 320 608 320 WIRE 0 0 0 0 SYMBOL diode 224 272 R180 WINDOW 0 24 64 Left 2 WINDOW 3 24 0 Left 2 SYMATTR InstName D1 SYMBOL diode 368 272 R180 WINDOW 0 24 64 Left 2 WINDOW 3 24 0 Left 2 SYMATTR InstName D2 SYMBOL diode 368 160 R180 WINDOW 0 24 64 Left 2 WINDOW 3 24 0 Left 2 SYMATTR InstName D3 SYMBOL diode 224 160 R180 WINDOW 0 24 64 Left 2 WINDOW 3 24 0 Left 2 SYMATTR InstName D4 SYMBOL sw 512 208 R90 SYMATTR InstName S1 SYMBOL cap 592 96 R0 SYMATTR InstName C2 SYMBOL cap 592 256 R0 SYMATTR InstName C1 TEXT -128 208 Left 2 ;AC input TEXT 680 192 Left 2 ;DC output TEXT 368 136 Left 2 ;closed for doubler TEXT 40 288 Left 2 ;neutral TEXT 40 152 Left 2 ;hot

Reply to
jurb6006

[...]

e it. Hopefully it'll work in 4.

Spice did have a pot originally, but they found people couldn't reach it th rough the glass screen. :)

2 fets & a ramped etc voltage to the gates?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

To elaborate just a bit on Phil's correct answer:

Hot to hot = doubled voltage. Hot-to-ground = half-voltage.

One side will be - to ground +. One side will be + to ground -.

To see this in action - exactly this - look at the filament voltage schematic for a Dynaco PAS. As these are all dumb components, loading does not change anything - to the capacity of the source in any case.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33