NXP BSS83 discontinued

I'm upset about NXP discontinuing the BSS83. It was quite special: separate substrate pin, very low gate and drain capacitances, specified

Reply to
Chris Jones

One wonders how they know to do that. I generally try to find parts that have LOTS of substitutes when I can.

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

There used to be JEDEC which was supposed to ensure that parts with the same number had the same specs. Is JEDEC dead? ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

You're welcome to try and find someone who's still selling a 3Nxxx ;-)

Everything else is manufacturer numbers.

Possibly you can find them from Central, or surplus. $$$, low qty.

I suspect you can tell us more about manufacturers' numbering systems than we can tell you. But as a designer, not a supply manager... that may not be much, either way.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Williams

Tough call, as you should know. Whether it matters is a different story. Fi nd me an equivalent to a 2N5436. It was a TO-3 casee but with a suffix deno ting 60 mil pins to handle the current. I used soem in the ow frequency run DC convertor in a thousand watt linear. they were better than what was in there, and some idiot did not even change the pairs, he changed individual transistors. Idiocy has been around forever.

But JANTX is alive. If it says 2SC945 it is supposed to be those specs.

Other than that, it appears you are on your own. Most of the replacement tr anisisor I acquire are pretty much generic and just meet or exceed. In bulk , you get a better deal.

Sometimes I cook with beer, but I never put it in the food.

Reply to
jurb6006

A little beer is good in baked beans. A *little*. The problem is what to do with the rest.

 Click to see the full signature

BSS83 is Pro Electron / EECA, for Europe.

Jedec registered devices for EIA in the US only.

Currently JEDEC bumbles around with other semiconductor industry manufacturing standards.

RL

Reply to
legg

I'm pro-electron too but recognize the importance of protons and neutrons as well.

--

Rick
Reply to

Maybe it is a self-fulfilling prophecy that any uniquely good parts will disappear. Of course if we all avoid the specially good parts because there are no substitutes, then nobody will be buying them and the parts will surely be discontinued!

RIP EL2009, BY8424, PN4117A, BSS83

I think that the design of discrete high-performance circuitry is becoming a lost art, a tiny minority of engineers designing a tiny minority of electronic products, for which it is no longer worth providing the building blocks. e.g. The only decent matched JFET pairs presently sold at a decent price come built into an op-amp, and if you don't want the rest of the op-amp, that's too bad.

It's enough to make one want to own a fab.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

Did you give that one any thought at all? "everything gets cheap"??? How about cars? They are nearly 10 times more expensive than they were when I bought my first. Staples get more expensive every day. Petroleum products continue to get more expensive, metals, anything still made in the US... and so forth and so on.

I believe that 20 year old semi equipment is one of the few things that at least doesn't get more expensive. The second hand supply may be getting less common, but the demand has got to be falling off rapidly to nearly zero.

If you think there is money to be made, why not buy a 20 year old fab and start making all the late, great semiconductors? Call it "20th Century Semiconductor", "We don't make anything that isn't 20 years old".

--

Rick
Reply to

Jeri hacking her own notwithstanding, I wonder if those things ever come up for "cheap" these days. You'd think 4um would be so ancient as to be free by now. Actually, most of those have probably been scrapped, huh?

As everything else gets cheap, it's rather peculiar that the semi world still has yet to figure out cheap capital equipment. It's almost as if they want it expensive, and want to keep it that way. :)

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Williams

A lot of the good stuff that was developed for volume markets (smoke detectors, cell phones, TV tuners, like that) have been replaced by ICs.

Of course if we all avoid the specially good parts because

There are not many engineers who still do (and are good at) board-level electronic design. The college grads with analog skills get hoovered up by the IC houses, which leaves the field clear for people who can design real electronics. We don't mind using the 15 cent ICs that those kids design.

Some low-tech parts are still being made on obsolete fabs. You don't need 28 nm resolution to make a zener diode.

The Zetex avalanche transistors are made by a diffusion process on an ancient fab in Russia.

I deal with a number of laser companies. There is typically one superstar physicist, generally the founder, who designs the laser structure, and they send out the recipe to a fab house. TI and ADI and LTC have fabs, but there must be smaller analog IC operations that don't.

 Click to see the full signature

None of those are particularly expensive, given inflation. 10x for cars is rather high, unless your first was a Model-T, maybe. It's more like 6x since I bought my first in '71, while inflation has been ~4x. Then there is government intervention in the market...

Reply to
krw

and the cars keep growing in size and weight, so you'd have to go down a couple of model sizes to even try to compare

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Talk about a setup line.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

The famous Siliconix SD210, with separate substrate, is still available from Linear Systems. Its specs aren't that far away from the BSS83.

Linear Systems isn't likely to discontinue it.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Some people consider that to be a legitimate and valid sales pitch. The logic is that if something survived on the market for 20+ years, then it obviously must be *something* good about it.

Reply to
Aleksandar Kuktin

I think that is the point. The items have *not* survived. They have been obsoleted by the masses. Only the few still have a use for them so that there is very little profit left in selling them.

--

Rick
Reply to

Thanks for that. It's a pity distributors don't carry it and it's 10x the price. I have refrained from looking on the manufacturer's website for now as google says that it may have been hacked.

For my present application I may be able to put in a JFET instead, if I alter the biasing. That should buy me another year or so until that disappears.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

How about buying a lifetime supply of the BSS83.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win