NT: looks like the sun is...

looks like the sun is...

Jan Panteltje

Why is there more activity above and below the equator (plus a lot) than at the poles? Is just from the spin?

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

On a sunny day (Fri, 19 Feb 2016 09:52:28 -0600) it happened amdx wrote in :

I think this is because you look through more of the corrona (if that is the right word).

Amazing how unstable the whole thing is, glow ball worming is _obviously_ caused by this. Just hope it does not go out, if it was a camp fire I would add some wood :--)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

It is where the magnetic field loops most often tend to break out.

There is a tension between the rotating ball of plasma which isn't like a solid ball the rotation period varies with latitude spinning them up.

This isn't a bad intro to the suns magnetic field:

The latitude of maximum activity varies with the sunspot cycle. Normally called the butterfly diagram.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Reply to
Martin Brown

The equator spins faster than the poles. Which puts the field lines that break (sunspots) above and below the equator. Interestingly, the double sunspot peaks represent those two areas, as activity occurs in one before the other.

Martin Riddle

Corona, just like the beer. At least in American English.

There ain't no way of telling. Although the CO2 story is much better because nobody is actually paying attention to the variation in solar load of the planet.

And because it's about us*, and the sort of vesitgial niggles we all have about Living Off The land versus fecking *OWNING* the land and making it do our bidding.

*you can tell people the most amazing story ever, but if it's not about Them, they wont' listen.

I recommend te movie "Noah" for exactly this .. sort of Biblical, old school questionization of the issuedom. Its a *dumb* movie, but it's cool. You can tell the guy made it watched "The Never Ending Story " a lot.

To be fair, we've unlocked a hell of a lot of Carboniferous era .. carbon what with the fossil fuels and all.

Because slavery sucks.

So what you find is always influenced by what you measure.

Most people haven't fixed something by buying it a new power supply. Why, I did just this week. $9.95, Amazon Prime, ordered on Tuesday, here on Thursday, happy blinky.

Ah well. We had a good run.

Les Cargill
Reply to
Les Cargill

the right word).

y_ caused by this.

For a fairly ignorant value of "obviously".

There is enough evidence around to suggest that solar variability is an imp lausible source of variation in global temperature. Stuff like the Medieval Warm period and and the Little Ice age (neither of them global) is rather better explained by deep ocean currents choosing different routes for shift ing heat from the equator to the poles.

Jan Panteltje wouldn't have a clue.

t.

Nowadays there are more sustainable source so energy. Coal worked for the V ictorians because they didn't burn all that much, and didn't have access to anything better.

od :-->

And are likely to have a couple more billion years from that particular cam p fire. before we have to damp it a bit.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

On a sunny day (Fri, 19 Feb 2016 22:41:09 -0600) it happened Les Cargill wrote in :

LSD?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Worse - computers.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

On a sunny day (Sat, 20 Feb 2016 15:24:09 -0600) it happened Les Cargill wrote in :

I have that morphing software somewhere...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje