Banning per minute EV charging fee.

This garage isn't even in Boston, lol, it's like 30 miles outside the city proper.

It's still a heavily-populated area (all of the East Coast between Boston and Atlanta will be one continual city I guess) but it's not exactly prime real-estate.

Reply to
bitrex

Yes, these hotels for cars are more expensive than for people in other area.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

I pickup the Leaf in Seatle, WA and drove it to San Francisco, CA in two weeks, visiting almost every charging stations in between. My bucket list is to drive it to New York. I can carry 2kW flexible solar panels in the Leaf.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

Car hotel, lol I like that. Park & Ride is the term they use but yeah that's more or less what it is

Reply to
bitrex

hers?

here is no minimum.

excessive". On the other hand Tesla's rate is the lowest fast charging rat e you will find that is actually available on a wide scale. So clearly the y are doing something right.

you know what demand charges are? Tesla pays significant demand charges.

ually any new product or service is priced higher than in a mature market. Why should EVSEs be any different?

that are not regulated. How about food and water? Should water that you can buy in a store for $0.50 a gal cost $1.00 for 12 ounces at the 7-11?

ve many providers out of business if adopted country wide.

it of investment of solar at $0.03. In fact, most solar chargers are less than $0.10.

Your number is still arbitrary with no knowledge of actual costs. So I wil l disregard this comment.

station. I believe i can break-even for much less. Of course, i won't pay any kickback like they got from Evgo.

done at peak times when electricity is most expensive. So there is no aver aging over the lull demand times that allows residential rates to be modera te.

things out. Once there is more competition the prices will naturally adju st. There needs to be enough demand that competition will develop.

huge solar farm supplying electricity for $0.03

Only while the sun is shining brightest. Where do you get your power the o ther 60-70% of the time?

pped in and regulated the price the industry would have folded and cars wou ld have languished.

Not relevant. The point was that regulation of EV charging is not warrant ed and your ideas for how to do it are not justified.

e? That's not Tesla's choice. They have publicly said they will allow any one to use their network, but they have to pony up money for expansion. Le t's face it, the charging network is the single biggest selling feature of Tesla cars. Without that you have... a Leaf with 300 mile range.

Funny, you want to tell EVSE companies what to charge. Seems like you shou ld be able to tell any company what to do about any issue.

The point is your comment about Tesla Superchargers being a private club is not fair, their doors are open, they just aren't giving it away.

ing cars. It's not enough to have sufficient numbers to charge their cars. They need the red and white pedestals in every town and city with over 50 ,000 population to let people see the presence.

fornia.

to constrain the business. But then it's easy for me to say. I have the entire Tesla network, a 10 stall Supercharging station about two miles from me here, all at no charge to me as long as I own the car.

enough for a car with only a 50 mile range though. They seem to be about 5

0 miles apart. But it looks like they are in more urban areas rather than along Rt 5 which appears to be the highway.

are misusing the car for something it is not suited for.

ips in a car that only has a 50 mile range. How long does it take to charg e at an Evgo station?

ause they don't control the battery temperature well enough like the Teslas do. Fast charging may be a factor in that.

If you read about charging lithium batteries, the anode expands on absorbin g lithium ions. This creates mechanical stress that wears the anode. Yes, leaving it at 100% does more damage, but just charging to 100% does some. Musk released a chart showing capacity reduction as a function of number o f charge cycles at different end points (0-100%, 10-90%, etc). 0-100% was the worst of course, just not by a large amount. The problem is this is pe rmanent damage, like over revving an ICE. Much preferred to avoid it too o ften.

to 100%?

d it's ok to use 90% on a regular basis, the data shows the degradation is very slightly faster. 100% even is not a big deal for wear but you shouldn 't use it all the time. It takes maybe 20 minutes to get that last 10% tho ugh. At 90% the charging rate is down to 30 kW and goes down to 6 kW as it approaches 100%. Between 15% and 60% you can get 90/100 miles in 15 minut es (~30% in my car).

the top and bottom 10% in reserve keeps the charging time down and prevents higher wear on the battery.

. High price is from whole-sale oil companies.

at.

of electricity at given price. Gas station don't charge you for staying a t the pump.

Saying the verify the price is not the same thing as saying the regulate th e price. I know they verify that the gallons reported are accurate. I've never heard of anyone regulating the price of gasoline in the US.

This is getting a bit old. Do you really want to insist the EVSE operators support your poor decision in buying an EV with such limited range?

You haven't explained why you can't just charge at home. You ignore much o f what I post and questions I ask.

--

  Rick C.

  -+- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -+- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

Maybe a 20 kW generator on a trailer would be a better choice? 50 miles is not even an hour on the highway. There are areas in the US where gas stations aren't even that close together.

I realize now you are just pulling my leg. Tee, hee, hee.

--

  Rick C.

  -++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

Because the charging station is 100 miles away from home and i used up all charges going there. What other questions?

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

On Wednesday, December 25, 2019 at 11:54:12 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com w rote:

ch of what I post and questions I ask.

l charges going there. What other questions?

That doesn't make it clear to me. You have a car with 50 mile range. What is your use case that has you looking for charging?

I don't get why you would buy a car with only a 50 mile range when you need to drive 100 miles one way. Why didn't you buy a Tesla with 300 mile rang e? Why don't you buy one now?

It seems like you bought this car with very limited range (which you could have approached with the hybrid Win has without ever charging anywhere but at home) and now you want to complain about the cost of charging on the roa d which has only improved since you bought the car.

Why can't you use the many EA chargers in central CA?

--

  Rick C.

  +-- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  +-- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

much of what I post and questions I ask.

all charges going there. What other questions?

at is your use case that has you looking for charging?

When i have to go long distance. I don't do it much anymore. It's easier just to rent an ICE vehicle and dump as much CO2 as possible.

ed to drive 100 miles one way. Why didn't you buy a Tesla with 300 mile ra nge? Why don't you buy one now?

I don't want to spend 30K more. I can rent a lot more when i need to.

d have approached with the hybrid Win has without ever charging anywhere bu t at home) and now you want to complain about the cost of charging on the r oad which has only improved since you bought the car.

Only for a few stations with price gouging and profitting. Most other stat ions are very reasonable and very often free.

Have you actually visit them? I have not visited one that is actually work ing yet. There are planned sites, but far in the future.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

e much of what I post and questions I ask.

p all charges going there. What other questions?

What is your use case that has you looking for charging?

r just to rent an ICE vehicle and dump as much CO2 as possible.

need to drive 100 miles one way. Why didn't you buy a Tesla with 300 mile range? Why don't you buy one now?

uld have approached with the hybrid Win has without ever charging anywhere but at home) and now you want to complain about the cost of charging on the road which has only improved since you bought the car.

ations are very reasonable and very often free.

rking yet. There are planned sites, but far in the future.

Delano EA

Oct 2019: ?So far, I just see the EVgo station, but thanks, Walmart and Elect rify America if you will be adding more EV chargers here. -- checkin create d before location officially marked open?

May 2019: ?Didn't see any obvious signs of construction yet. -- checkin creat ed before location officially marked open?

I'll check again in a year.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

On Wednesday, December 25, 2019 at 9:41:10 PM UTC-8, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wr ote:

ore much of what I post and questions I ask.

up all charges going there. What other questions?

What is your use case that has you looking for charging?

ier just to rent an ICE vehicle and dump as much CO2 as possible.

u need to drive 100 miles one way. Why didn't you buy a Tesla with 300 mil e range? Why don't you buy one now?

could have approached with the hybrid Win has without ever charging anywher e but at home) and now you want to complain about the cost of charging on t he road which has only improved since you bought the car.

stations are very reasonable and very often free.

working yet. There are planned sites, but far in the future.

ctrify America if you will be adding more EV chargers here. -- checkin crea ted before location officially marked open?

ated before location officially marked open?

Mojava EA

Dec 2019 ?Yeah hey guys get those permits, let's get this baby up and runnin g. -- checkin created before location officially marked open?

Double check on EA vaporware again later

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

We paid about $300 per month, not far from City Hall. It did have free charging, both official chargers and some outlets on the wall that people used.

I park on the street, at home and work, which is possible in some neighborhoods. But there's no way to charge.

I fill up with gasoline about every two weeks, which is done before I can wash the windows.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

There is a free charger near the PUC building.

Also chargepoint charger outside city hall for city use only. But when i am out of option, i use them and expect to get a ticket.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

Is it always available? Do you sit in your car while it's charging, or do you go somewhere and come back when it's done? How long can you leave the car there?

Good grief, tickets are expensive in SF. And there is the nuisance of paying them.

At present, all-electric cars seem to be for enthusiasts who don't mind, or actually enjoy, a good deal of hassle.

That's funny, greenie Supervisors who reserve the chargers for themselves.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

e much of what I post and questions I ask.

p all charges going there. What other questions?

What is your use case that has you looking for charging?

r just to rent an ICE vehicle and dump as much CO2 as possible.

You don't need to abandon EVs, you just need a suitable EV. You wouldn't d rive a golf cart either would you?

need to drive 100 miles one way. Why didn't you buy a Tesla with 300 mile range? Why don't you buy one now?

Your Leaf is only worth $5,000??? That is surprising.

uld have approached with the hybrid Win has without ever charging anywhere but at home) and now you want to complain about the cost of charging on the road which has only improved since you bought the car.

ations are very reasonable and very often free.

Yes, often people find "free" to be a good price. But it is seldom expecte d. It's not like gasoline prices are consistent. I can pay $2.25 a gal or I can pay over $2.50 a gal.

I really think you are overreacting here.

rking yet. There are planned sites, but far in the future.

They show up as working in Plugshare. There is a gap in the 100 miles betw een Bakersfield and Selma, so you pay the "gougers" one time. Big whoop!

Surely you understand the real issue is trying to go cross country in a car with a 50 mile range, no?

--

  Rick C.

  +-+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  +-+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

ore much of what I post and questions I ask.

up all charges going there. What other questions?

What is your use case that has you looking for charging?

ier just to rent an ICE vehicle and dump as much CO2 as possible.

drive a golf cart either would you?

For occasional days trip, rental is fine. And i would not rent a EV, not e ven a Tesla. People spend hours in lines at supercharger for their 30 minut es charging.

u need to drive 100 miles one way. Why didn't you buy a Tesla with 300 mil e range? Why don't you buy one now?

Yes, pay exactly $5000. I can park one in different cities. Monthly parkin g in downtown Bakersfield is only $30. My Leaf's been there for 6 months.

I just need another one in Modesto. Amtrak between them is nice and (will be) fast.

could have approached with the hybrid Win has without ever charging anywher e but at home) and now you want to complain about the cost of charging on t he road which has only improved since you bought the car.

stations are very reasonable and very often free.

ted. It's not like gasoline prices are consistent. I can pay $2.25 a gal or I can pay over $2.50 a gal.

It's the principle, not the real money involved.

working yet. There are planned sites, but far in the future.

tween Bakersfield and Selma, so you pay the "gougers" one time. Big whoop!

Delano, Mojava and Barstows are still "Coming soon" in plugshare.

ar with a 50 mile range, no?

I have 2KW solar and 12V inverter and additional battery banks. Just need additional buck regulators between panel and batteries. My portable batter ies can also charge indoor. It's a lot easier to find indoor outlet than o utdoor. The mobile solar charger will take up a few hundred square feet in the desert. I think i am ready to do it next summer.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

gnore much of what I post and questions I ask.

ed up all charges going there. What other questions?

e. What is your use case that has you looking for charging?

asier just to rent an ICE vehicle and dump as much CO2 as possible.

't drive a golf cart either would you?

even a Tesla. People spend hours in lines at supercharger for their 30 min utes charging.

Yes, that happens. There are also long lines for gasoline. Both occur rel atively infrequently compared to the majority of locations or times. Oh, a nd "hours" is a gross overstatement.

you need to drive 100 miles one way. Why didn't you buy a Tesla with 300 m ile range? Why don't you buy one now?

.

ing in downtown Bakersfield is only $30. My Leaf's been there for 6 months .

Ok, so you got a bargain car that doesn't suit your usage very well. That' s not a condemnation of the EVSE operators. That's on you.

l be) fast.

And charging will be much more plentiful in central CA. So where is the pr oblem?

u could have approached with the hybrid Win has without ever charging anywh ere but at home) and now you want to complain about the cost of charging on the road which has only improved since you bought the car.

r stations are very reasonable and very often free.

ected. It's not like gasoline prices are consistent. I can pay $2.25 a ga l or I can pay over $2.50 a gal.

Yes, I agree and you are overreacting. As I said, give it time. By the ti me the major auto makers are selling multiple models and demand increases, there will be a lot more charging choices and a lot more competition. Unti l then EV charging will be like cell phones in the 90s, not cheap and not e nough competition.

y working yet. There are planned sites, but far in the future.

between Bakersfield and Selma, so you pay the "gougers" one time. Big whoo p!

So, that's a good thing that shows they are expanding the network. Why are you laser focused on damming the EVSE guys? You literally can't see the f orest for the trees. How long did you wait before buying a cell phone? Th ere are still big gaps in coverage where I drive.

car with a 50 mile range, no?

d additional buck regulators between panel and batteries. My portable batt eries can also charge indoor. It's a lot easier to find indoor outlet than outdoor. The mobile solar charger will take up a few hundred square feet in the desert. I think i am ready to do it next summer.

Good for you! So drive 50 miles, set up, charge for five hours and back on the road. Excellent!!!

--

  Rick C.

  ++- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  ++- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

ill be) fast.

problem?

Between Hanford, Delano and Bakersfield. 50 miles apart.

a car with a 50 mile range, no?

eed additional buck regulators between panel and batteries. My portable ba tteries can also charge indoor. It's a lot easier to find indoor outlet th an outdoor. The mobile solar charger will take up a few hundred square fee t in the desert. I think i am ready to do it next summer.

on the road. Excellent!!!

Only need it to jump the 100 miles gaps going East.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

On Thursday, December 26, 2019 at 12:28:47 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wr ote:

(will be) fast.

e problem?

in a car with a 50 mile range, no?

need additional buck regulators between panel and batteries. My portable batteries can also charge indoor. It's a lot easier to find indoor outlet than outdoor. The mobile solar charger will take up a few hundred square f eet in the desert. I think i am ready to do it next summer.

k on the road. Excellent!!!

Works almost as well for overnight stops too!

--

  Rick C.

  +++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  +++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

d (will be) fast.

the problem?

y in a car with a 50 mile range, no?

st need additional buck regulators between panel and batteries. My portabl e batteries can also charge indoor. It's a lot easier to find indoor outle t than outdoor. The mobile solar charger will take up a few hundred square feet in the desert. I think i am ready to do it next summer.

ack on the road. Excellent!!!

Yes, will have to plan carefully for day light.

At night, i can jump-charge from fellow drivers, if i can find one. I aske d someone to jump-charge my EV, but he was unwilling to do so. I guess it' s too new a concept for him. Fortunately, found an outlet in a gas station to get enough charge to the next charger.

I got around 2kWh 12V buffer batteries, but barely enough for the inverter. I am adding 5kWh now. Hopefully, it can run continuously. From another car, if can jump-charge a few miles per hour.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee