bandwidth explosion

ck

lol)

er

Sales cover the whole gamut of incomes. And not everyone who can afford to chooses to throw money unnecessarily at things. The idea that if you can a fford to you should spend more to get much the same seems to me quite stupi d.

a different matter

Reply to
tabbypurr

Though I can't see the point of that, since if the part melts in the prototype, the vendor won't see any more sales.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

On a sunny day (Sat, 20 Jul 2019 14:49:36 +1000) it happened Sylvia Else wrote in :

But but the .01 % distortion audio amps were not selling as much as the 0.001 % distiortion ones...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Fri, 19 Jul 2019 16:23:55 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

:-)

In that case I have a big 80 W solar panel here, and can switch to a lower power laptop than my Samsung. But no power then you do not need datasheets anyways, as your design would not work. Working late into the night with an oil lamp?

All those books, just got two 64 GB Samsung MUF-64AB USB very small USB sticks All your datasheets everywhere where there is a computah, even a Raspberry Pi will do. It will NOT catch fire by itself.

??

I have a 4G stick, now in a Raspberry Pi as gateway, plug it in the laptop and am online again. Depends a bit on 'local grid' I think in 'merrica with much over ground wire and transformers on poles one bad bird is enough to short most of it :-) A different view on 'El Condor Pasa'.

So true, I have been in 'merrica camping living in a VW bus with some hippies. camping by myself at the Canadian border in the wild, Canada would not let me in, only had 15$ or so, Mexican border, El Paso, arrested, ended up in a big cage jail with Mexican illegal immigrants got out again after talking to the sheriff, man, tell me about 'merrica'. Been all over that place in all sorts of societies, from the extremely rich to the very poor. Broadens your horizons. To live you do not need much.

Russia paranoia, US creates an external enemy to unite its own people, a very old game, If it works I doubt, with trump stirring up differences by telling children of immigrants to leave while his own parent were immigrants themselves, and he is basically a criminal that lies his way, his twitter is like Nero playing the fiddle watching Rome burn, a sign on the wall the best times are over for that continent.

We, the EU, want better relations with Russia, and and end to any sanctions to Russia, the CIA sponsored overturn of the legitimate Ukrainian government by a bunch of ultra right is more of a problem.. trump just a ruthless weapon salesman as far as I am concerned just a war criminal. Putin is a very wise man and a good politician in my view. trump a complete idiot. I hope US people have still enough wisdom left to impeach him or vote him to oblivion in the next rigged elections.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Yes, I forgot the rule is inverted when a bad word follows.

For example "Now our bread contains less than 0.1% uranium hexafluoride."

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

in

I've had an Android smart-phone for a few years - I've now got a Samsung S4 which was cheap, rather than the ltest thing.

It came with a bunch of Google apps, and Google maps can be very handy from time to time.

It also came with Google Play, which I knew nothing about and never use. I suddenly got a whopping data bill after a month of so in the Netherlands mo stly because Google play had downloaded 85 Mbytes of data over the mobile n etwork.

I switched it to getting it's data only over WiFi links, but that was shutt ing the stable door after the horse had bolted. I was a bit peeeved to find that an app that I've never used had decided that it needed 85 MB of data in case I might decide to use it.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney (but in Kuala Lumpur airport at the moment, waiting for
 the start of the second leg home to Sydney - only six hours to go).

Sylvia Else wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

Look at the GPS accuracy levels when it entered the market.

At first all a consumer could get is maybe 10 yard diameter resolution and don't even think about getting a reading indoors, while the mil boys enjoyed full, 'current' accuracy.

Now, folks do not even think about it, they pop up their map app on their 'smart' phone and their little blue blip pings their location even if they are tooling down the street in a car.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

It is the only place from where you can install apps on the phone. For example for me, when I wanted a RPN calculator on it so I could leave the HP-11C at home. There is a method to do it "from the side" but AFAIK some stuff in the phone first needs to be hacked for that. Most apps are only availbale via that "Play Store".

85MB result in a whopping bill? That must have been a stingy cell plan. I pay $5 for a 1GB chunk of data (pay-as-you-go method).

I could have told you that as a newbie end of last year when getting my first smart phone :-)

The very first thing I did was turning off everything automatic. Then toss all nagware and unwanted ballast just like one does after buying a new PC. Updates only when on WiFi and so on. My typical data usage is

3-30MB per month. Out of 1GB which always expires in 30 days so 994MB or more out of 1024MB expire unused.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

[...]

When there is a wildfire the sky is gray, no solar power.

Huh? I can design anywhere and often did, way out in nature on a lonely bush trail. No cell coverage or anything. Those are my most productiev places. The only noise you can hear is wind, birds, some wildlife and the occasional jetliner high up there. Those designs tend to work well.

We got modern, LED lamp :-)

I keep a big Lead-acid battery charged in the garage just in case. Plus a little inverter if we absolutely have to runs some AC stuff briefly. Like the margarita mixer ...

Certainly a good way but I can't bring myself to spend days and days of scanning books which refuse to lay flat on the scanner glass. I ratehr go on bike rides.

Yeah, much of our power grid is like that in Romania. A sorry state of affairs. Similar for roads in leftists states such as California. The usual, high taxes - bad infrastructure.

A (US) co-worker was arrested in the Netherlands in the 90's. After they let him go we asked him about that experience. "Oh, no complaints, it was relaxing. No phone calls, no telefaxes, no meetings, no stress. They had good food and, best of all, color TV in all the cells! I just couldn't understand much".

So when will we have the next Chernobyl?

They were legal immigrant. Big difference.

[...]

Wait until they threaten to turn off the "cheap" gas during a harsh winter. But not my problem, I am not a European anymore.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

In terms of profit it is.

Correct. Frugality is usually how they got to the point of having a nice disposable income or savings.

Works differently. People who can afford it splurge on things they really enjoy. They don't get the same, they get better. Nice cars, maybe an aircraft, a boat, a big RV, travel, good hotels, and most of all good food. $10 for a small slice of Brie at the market? WHAT?! But we like it so let's buy a few anyhow.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I don't have the figures. But fwiw when I look at the most profitable companies I typically see them cater to people across most of the spectrum, if not all.

I'm not sure I can think of much in life I enjoy that I'd need to splurge on to enjoy more. Life just isn't like that IME. I guess some people like to improve their lot, some like to pee it up the wall. Perhaps I belong to a different era.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

the difference between whether a very low distortion, high open loop gain, high-NFB solid state amp or a low or no feedback amplifier sounds "good" is probably one of psycho-acoustics.

I grew up listening to the former kind and some of those low NFB tube amps people rave about don't sound that great to me. they don't sound "tight" they sound "wolly" or "flubby" (technical terms) I'd probably start to like 'em if I listened long enough, though.

Reply to
bitrex

A lot of that is improvements in the receiver sensitivity and throwing more hardware at the problem to facilitate reception.

Then there was the addition of WAAS which can bring the location error to a s low as 10 feet with a bit of averaging. BTW, before all this the error w as a lot more than 30 feet. I recall plotting the location of a stationary receiver and seeing it wander nearly 100 feet from the starting reported l ocation overnight.

It's still not accurate enough to tell you which lane your car is in. At l east, not with a reasonable level of certainty.

--

  Rick C.

  -+- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -+- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

On Jul 20, 2019, snipped-for-privacy@decadence.org wrote (in article ):

Marketing had nothing to do with it. One of the major satellite vehicle upgrades was to increase the transmit power by about 10 dB, a very big deal. The other upgrade was to turn Selective Availability off.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Selective availability (SA) or deliberate jamming a few decades ago.

Reply to
upsidedown

On a sunny day (Sat, 20 Jul 2019 07:40:22 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

Lipos, lots of lipos here, and li-ion of course.

Maybe I should finally stock up on some big lifepo4 cells,

So you do not use Spice either ?

Aha, very good, I have 12V RGB LED strips in the living room, designed a controller for that. And a nice USB LED reading light.

Lead acid, I have one gone bad here, gotta bring it to the chemical disposal site some day. it contains LEAD you know DANGEROUS can kill you by looking at it :-(

Yes, it s like that sometimes, have not been in jail here (yet?) but I did see that mentioned in the papers.

That was in F*ckupshima IIRC.

They were fugitives from Germany I think. Considering how trump behaves he is a disgrace. Most illegal immigrants just want a better life they will keep a low key and will avoid getting into trouble been arrested by the police and being deported. There are always exceptions, but there is no shortage of 'merrycans in the jails there.

That is trumps style, We have not seen anything like that from Russia here. US gas is of less quality and trump will do all sort of nasty things to sabotage us buying Russian gas. He now is putting fines on Airbus. because? Boeing is not doing so well, Air France KLM is just about to order a huge amount of Airbus planes.

Netherlands is decreasing drilling for gas in Groningen because the drilling caused earthquakes that resulted in a lot damage, so we export less. It is all in flux, new wind parks in the North Sea, they want everybody to move to electrickety it seems. We need to diversify our energy sources, but greens are clueless and are in large numbers. But wait till they get cold feet, they will be FIRST to use nuclear and coal.

German export is badly hit by the sanctions against Russia, Big thunderstorm here now, going offline with some sensitive stuff now, will post this later.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

al.

He's not talking about Selective Availability, when that was on the accurac y was more like 300 feet. I recall someone, possibly Bob Pease, giving a r eview of a handheld GPS. He thought it was pretty useless if it couldn't w arn him of a cliff at night. 300 feet is a football field!

It was after SA was turned off that the accuracy improved to about 30 feet which was good enough for geocaching.

--

  Rick C.

  -++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

Sure I do but my ideas are all develped without any computer. Using pencil and paper. I even found a schematic capture for my cell phone but haven't used it yet. Ye olde pencil is faster.

I still have to make a 12V light but no controller. Just a few LEDs and a switch-mode current source.

[...]

Illegal is illegal. Either we respect the laws we have or we throw them out the window. I am for respecting the laws and vote accordingly, of course.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Yeah, like here:

It depends on your desires. Some people have the desire to see the world. The ones with money ... just do it. The ones without much disposable income can only dream on because they do not have the $5k it takes for even one trip.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

ng deported.

Really? You don't break any laws? Or you just don't get caught?

Why don't they have RADAR set up on every street to catch speeders? Becaus e it isn't worth the trouble in most cases. Even cops speed. We don't wor ry about it.

Most illegals are here to have a better life. I'm not suggesting we should open the boarders, but I don't get the need for mass arrests which would a ctually hurt us since so many illegals are doing jobs we would have a hard time filling otherwise.

If we were to literally remove all illegals from the US overnight, it would likely be the biggest blow to our economy we have ever seen. I would bet many businesses would go under before the economy were able to right itself . Larkin would miss many of his favorite restaurants that would perish bec ause they can't get enough help to keep the place open.