bandwidth explosion

Datasheet PDFs are usually below 1 mbyte, so load fast. 50 real megabits is about all anyone really needs.

Remember data books? When we moved the company about 12 years ago, we filled a dumpster with data books.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

On a sunny day (Thu, 18 Jul 2019 17:31:32 +0100) it happened Tom Gardner wrote in :

OK, thanks Clearly I am no java expert, scripts or whatever, I wrote a few lines to get some buttons and an input field in some server I wrote. script that is :-) I did not know about NoScript, just looking at their website.

OTOH been on the web since 1997 ? Win 3.1 Trumpet winsock running on Dr Dos. Never was hacked, (that I know about). Running Linux now since 1998, it is a lot safer than MS widows it seems. Few month ago I ran a raspberry server as test and published the fixed IP I had back then on the raspberry newsgroup. Every few minutes some attack. Some from China, but interesting: much more from Africa, finally killed all of Africa in the iptables firewall.

This program logs origins and adds it to the apache log:

it can also start scripts that automatically block IPs if they try something funny.

Now I have a dynamic IP, so no server running here, nice and quiet, saves a lot of time, Website via godaddy, let them do the work.

Around 2000 and later my website was hosted by me, servers here, so quite a bit of experience running websites. There is no need for all those funny java scripts in 99% of the cases, My website does not have a single one and everything works, all basic html.

And always use brain when surfing :-)

Your computer is hijacked now, pay of the US national debt to decrypt your harddisk. pmurt

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 18 Jul 2019 08:56:31 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Na, the only slightly more complictiatiated part is the NSA listening stations at the end of the intercontinental fibers, one in the UK of course :-)

It is just CABLES man.

NSA reads and stores everything I write, just image what a nice backup, wonder if I can restore from them...

Come to think of that, Netherlands just increased their F35 order, to please the trump I think, much easier with so many around to test my F35 detection system.

For the same reason they no longer sell F35s to Turkey (not the bird). You gotta give it to Erdogan, he buys Russian S400 missiles, and US no longer wants him to have that F35 crap. A win win situation for him.

We should have done the same and buy some Migs too. My view.

Some guy was spraying the road here with some weed killer this afternoon, the wind took the poison and it is now in the curtains, I thought 'Oops they finally tracked me down' but he was spraying next doors too, could be a cover up though.

Man, what a world

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Boy, wish that were happening here! We have only ONE provider that can work at my house. We used to have DSL, but the lines were so bad they had to run pairs all over the city, and we are now 18K feet from the CO. The RTs apparently do not have DSLAMs in them.

So, Charter cable is the ONLY choice except satellite. We get 100/4 service on a grandfathered plan. They want to almost double the price to go to 100/10. This is a business account, so they charge a bunch extra, although we really are not using much more bandwidth than a typical home with a couple kids.

I keep hoping, SOMEDAY, that AT&T will run fiber out here.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

There are a few, especially application data books, that I will never part with. Not all of the stuff has made it into a digital archive and if I don't scan it in beforehand (a lot of work), it's gone.

Also, California now has the electrical grid reliability of Romania but, of course, at x times the cost. Like we did when Gray Davis was governor and we had the dreaded rolling "gray-outs". When the electricity goes kerklunk it is very nice to have data books with at least the basic stuff in there. So after PG&E announced that their "solution" to fire safety is to simply shut whole areas off for several days I vowed not to throw any more data books into paper recycling.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Sure. And unfortunately it hampers those that don't have the bandwidth. Developers often get the fastest hardware and fastest connection, and develop bloated websites with lots of images (static and moving), tons of scripting to do some simple thing, etc.

Some time ago I tried connecting using 56k modem and visit some websites. It was not a pleasant experience. My connection is 100Mbit/s and that appears to be enough for now, but undoubtedly it will get too slow when everyone else has 500Mbit/s or 1Gbit/s. And my 3GHz CoreDuo PC gets too slow to comfortably work with those websites that have "endless scrolling".

Reply to
Rob

Packet switching. All that flows over the internet is split into "IP packets" which are blocks of data like 1500 bytes, which have a header with source and destination address (the "IP address").

You send it on its way, and every time it encounters a router with multiple connections the destination address is examined and it is sent to the output which is leading closer to the destination, using what is called a "routing table".

It is not unlike a postman that examines a letter and puts it in some basket that will be delivered closer to the destination until it finally reaches the destination mailbox.

The only thing advanced about it is the speed at which those routers and connections operate, the mechanism itself is quite dumb (and fragile!).

Reply to
Rob

I've only got satellite at my house. It has gotten better in the past few years... It use to be that once you used up your allotted giga bits you were slowed way down. But a competitor entered the market with a guaranteed minimum speed, and my provider had to follow along... or get left in the dust.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Where I lived 25 years ago that would have been blazingly fast. 9600bd was the max and sometimes that would ratchet down to 4800db.

Nowadays you need 2GB of RAM to write "Hello World". Minimum.

When I moved my first laptop over to Linux and things become sticky folks in a Linux NG told me that its 1GB RAM is inadequate. It wasn't with Windows but I guess with Windows 10 it would be the same kind of bloat.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Yes, I have used speeds like that too. But 56k would seem to be a reasonable thing to try, yet it is mostly unusable (for websites, not for usenet of course).

My first Linux system 26 years ago had only 16MB of RAM. MB. It had a graphical desktop, webbrowser (NCSA Mosaic) and once I got an internet connection (like 1994) I could actually use that with a telephone modem. Of course that always was sluggish, but the sites matched the available bandwith. Not anymore.

And of course, no need to point at the computing power used to go to the moon, these days.

Reply to
Rob

I used to design modems, for SCADA systems over leased lines. I think I did one at 75 baud. 300 was common.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

[...]

At one client we are actually going back towards those speeds, long RF range at very low power levels, unattended motes way out there in the field.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

).

John may be talking about all the custom tweaks inside the routers that mak e them work well when simply implementing the various standards would not d o such a great job.

There seems to be the idea that it will be "best" to let the Internet devel op completely without interference from the government. In some ways this is true. But the IP network is not entirely different from our road system . Sometimes we allow privateering on roads and end up having to pay tolls for the rest of time. Meanwhile the other roads are no more pot hole free. I think unrestricted development of the Internet will also result in many undesirable features. With such a highly technical system, there will be many ways to use it to pull money out of our pockets.

--

  Rick C.

  ++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  ++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

What's the minimum speed?

--

  Rick C.

  --- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  --- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

Must be using quantum entanglement.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

The City of Ocala installed a private fiber optic system in the business di strict a few years ago, to proved the merchants and manufacturers 1Gb/s ser vice. It stops a few miles from me, but a local drive in has two, 1Gb/s fee ds as backups for their new high res LCD projectors. Movies are delivered i n sealed digital packaging that plugs into their projector, but they can st ream the movie live if the digital storage system crashes. They have replac ed the original film projector with four digital projectors They have two l arge screens, and two smaller screens.

Freinds own a company that manufactures heavy duty canopies for art shows. They have 1Gb/s service in their facility.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

I still have about 40 databooks, and I keep collecting them. When I was working on the TAOS v. Intersil patent/trade secret case a few years back, TAOS claimed that integrating for 100 ms was a trade secret because it got rid of 50, 60, 100, and 120 Hz junk from lighting. I scanned a few pages from my 1987 Intersil databook showing their dual-slope ADCs doing the exact same thing.

A bunch of opto databooks have come in handy the same way.

And when I'm doing dead-bug protos, a lot of the chips are old enough to be in the databooks.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Fiber-to-the-premesis for residential customers is a more-or-less dead technology last I heard, the telcos are looking towards WiMax and ever-faster cellular data networks as the alternative.

Reply to
bitrex

Anyone who isn't also on the latest hardware and high-bandwidth (or at least recent enough to run modern web sites with lots of scripting well) probably isn't high enough income to be spending enough money on advertiser's products to make it worthwhile the extra dev time to make it a good experience for them.

There are a lot of fellow capitalists like me here in this NG I assumed but often seem to misconstrue the thrust of it with respect to pandering to the lowest common denominator of customer.

The Internet is almost entirely revenue-driven and nobody gives a f*ck what someone's experience on a slow-ass budget connection is or some retiree's out in the boonies with a 10 year old PC and a 56k modem (lol) or satellite internet "experience" is like on a modern web page it is not worth anyone's time or money to make it better when was the last time you bought a Maserati Ghibli or a $10 Starbucks drink you saw advertised online?

Reply to
bitrex

That is to say if you want a better experience, cough up the cash Mr. Skinty McPoorPockets, the only person stopping you is you and your lack of cash.

Reply to
bitrex