gain bandwidth vs. amplification bandwidth

Would anyone be kind enough to explain the difference between gain bandwidth and amplification bandwidth, in the context of optical amplifiers? I've Googled up a bunch of technical papers that talk about one, the other, or both, and in ways that make it clear they're different, but I can't figure out what the difference is.

Thanks, dave m.

Reply to
|)avid |V|adden

If gain was in m^(-1) could it be that amplification = exp(gain * length) ?

Reply to
mg

That is my understanding as well. Gain might be expressed in units of "% per cm", whereas amplification is a multiplication factor: (energy out) = amplification x (energy in)

However, the original question was about the bandwidth, which should be the same for gain and amplification.

Reply to
redbelly98

There is no difference between the terms "gain bandwidth" and "amplification bandwidth". To be precise, "amplification" is the term for the phenomenon and "gain" the corresponding quantity (even though this term is often used for the phenomenon itself).

There are actually multiple (and different!) definitions of the term "gain bandwidth". For details, see

in the "encyclopedia of laser physics and technology".

------------------------------- Dr. R=FCdiger Paschotta RP Photonics Consulting GmbH

RPaschotta

I guess it takes a physicist to really f... up an electronic definition ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

"RPaschotta" wrote

This can get confused with 'Gain Bandwith Product' in operational amplifiers. 'Amplification Bandwitch would be the BW set by the feedback elements in the applied op-amp circuit.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Consulting Engineer:  Electronics; Informatics; Photonics.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Nicholas O. Lindan