bandwidth explosion

I worked for one of the companies that did wholesale bandwidth and connectivity in the late 90s and early 2000s. Dot com, money was flowing. At the end there was a LOT of dark fiber laying in the ground. If memory serves, we started with 16 wavelengths per fiber, went to 32 and when we sold out I think it was up to 64 or maybe

128. I've seen ads for 192 wavelengths on a single pair of fiber, 400Gbit/s per wavelength.

Southern Pacific Railroad Internal Network Telecommunications (aka SPRINT) put a lot of fiber down along their right of way. I never saw one but they had a train setup to lay the cable.

Pipeline companies where also in the business. Williams Communications (WilTEL) came out of Williams Pipeline. They ran the fiber in decommissioned pipelines. They had a pig setup that would run through the line pulling the fiber.

Internet Exchange Points (IXP) used to be this hush hush, secret handshake to talk about it, thing. Now you can pull up a map of the IXPs. A job a few years ago we were setting up a data center, got a fiber link to the closest IXP. They where almost giving away 10G ports because so many networks were moving to 100G links.

--
Chisolm
Republic of Texas

On a sunny day (Thu, 18 Jul 2019 12:16:30 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

But but, databooks are a fire hazard! Laptops are good against mains interrupts, for an hour or so at least, I have a zillion pdf files on several PCs and laptops. No more databooks, and everything is found via google. If google ever goes down (or bing) then there really is a problem. I can get internet via satellite, I can even listen in on what others download, but that usually works via some landline dial up to get the URL. and the latency is very big. When copying the sat downloads you have no choice in the content, It all does not matter, have some transistors in stock and you can do anything. Some PICs helps too. :-)

And who needs 'tronics anyways, you need a bomb shelter and some survival training and a .. oh well have not got the shelter yet... If the greens get their way we will all be living in a grass hut eating mushrooms, cooking on solar, come think of it I have some of those nice Fresnel lenses, a fire maker, Oh well, I am prepared for trump's next booboo. :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

So now we know where the "dark net" is running :-) :-) :-) :-)

I remember talks about 80 colors at 10 Gbit/s each in some transatlantic fibers of that dot com era.

The standard DWDM raster is 100 GHz channels. Yes, the channels are really defined in frequency not with wavelengths. I just wonder how they could put 400 Gbit/s through a 100 GHz channel, no way with 2 or

4 level modulation.

Some have split the 100 Hz channel raster to half channels (50 GHz suitable for 40 Gbit/s) or quarter channels (25 GHz for 10 Gbit/s).

Reply to
upsidedown

Luxury. I still remember 300 baud. And how many phonelines did the average bulletin board have? :)

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The reality is that attitude loses companies sales.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Nothing wrong with "losing sales", intrinsically.

Bank of America treats its customers like junk, never negotiates on anything, and is almost never afraid to lose a client. If you're a regular Joe and you tell them "I'm thinking about closing my acc..." the likely result is first customer rep you talk with will close it for you before the words are even out of your mouth they don't care much about "retention" at all.

They seem to do OK for themselves:

Reply to
bitrex

"Abundance mentality." There are pushing 9 billion people in the world - there are always more yous, where you came from.

Reply to
bitrex

Internet is used for game distribution now too, modern "AAA"-title video games can be 50+ gigabytes of content or more.

Final Fantasy 15 was 150 gigabytes when deecompressed

Reply to
bitrex

On Jul 18, 2019, Phil Hobbs wrote (in article):

Wow. I knew the 100 millisecond gate trick in the mid 1970s. I probably learned it from a data sheet as well.

Hmm. I was not integrating, I was scanning a linear array of photo beams, and the reason to scan at ten Hz was to make lighting interference (especially from fluorescent lamps) stand still in the scans, and thus cancel out - we were looking for changes in transmission over time. I think I got the idea from the reasoning for the frame rate of NTSC TV, locked to 60 Hz so the hum bars in the TV picture would stand still and thus not be noticed.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Fire hazard :-)

Until the power goes down. When there is a wild fire it can do so for several days in our area.

All it takes is the local power grid going down. Google will still work hundreds of miles away but then you can't get there via Internet.

I only need a wood-fired barbecue and home-brew.

In Europe I'd be more concerned about Vladimir's booboos.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

My first communications device was a Lorenz 15 telex machine running at

45 baud, via ham radio. This one:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Oh yeah.

Most people with substantial disposable income that I know live a rather low-tech life. On purpose.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

it all depends. If I lost too many I wouldn't do ok. Losing a few's ok. But it's better to work constructively with people & end up with more. (Of course there are also some best got rid of.)

In the case of websites, _the majority_ of customers who want to buy something fail to follow the ordering process to the end. Sellers are making endless very basic mistakes. Such haemorrhaging of customers is idiocy.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

er

th.

tes.

en

too

ling".

l)

ng

l)

Most sales are not sold to people with 'substantial disposable income'. Sal es cover the whole gamut of incomes. And not everyone who can afford to cho oses to throw money unnecessarily at things. The idea that if you can affor d to you should spend more to get much the same seems to me quite stupid.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The eccentric sometimes make lousy clients, too, despite how much money they might seem to have to "dispose" of in your direction on paper.

That is to say they too sometimes just don't wanna pay their bills on time, or at all. common problem among clients of all income brackets

Reply to
bitrex

I hear a company tried selling a quality product at a fair price based on appeals to logic rather than emotion at one time. well I mean they were a company, that is.

Reply to
bitrex

iber

und

idth.

nd

ons

sites.

hat

when

s too

olling".

at

ell)

ke

med

ring

ck

lol)

ut it's better to work constructively with people & end up with more. (Of c ourse there are also some best got rid of.)

thing fail to follow the ordering process to the end. Sellers are making en dless very basic mistakes. Such haemorrhaging of customers is idiocy.

A credit card company lost me today. Seems they now require almost as much ID as getting a drivers license. I tried to upload a number of files for them, but one or another would crap out. I was on the phone I don't know h ow long trying to get it all worked out, got the files to finally upload an d while waiting for them to get an answer about the files I was cut off.

I already have two credit cards with this company. I was approved for the new card with better pay backs and they can't get me past the fraud departm ent. Knowing your SSN, birthday, etc as well as knowing all the details ab out EXISTING accounts with the same company isn't enough any more to prove you aren't scamming them.

--

  Rick C.

  --+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  --+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

Marketing numbers has always been a thing, whether it's bandwidth, the output torque of a car engine, or the battery voltage on a portable drill.

People think higher is better, so that's what the marketers give them. Sometimes it has some real theoretical significance even if the user won't notice the difference. Sometimes not.

It's all part of the standard ploy of deceiving the ignorant punter.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

or even the on paper not-so-ignorant when the advert specs for the MOSFET tout the max dissipation with the junction at 175 C and the case at 25 C

Reply to
bitrex

Monochrome NTSC video used 30Hz but NTSC color used a 29.97Hz frame (59.94 Hz field) rate, with which you could see hum bars rolling through the image when the ripple from the power supply was too high.

Reply to
Michael Terrell