buzz in audio

I bought a cheap thingy off ebay that enables me to record one side of a telephone conversation: this thing...

Item number: 220321741431

it works ok but it causes a background buzz in the handset and it's irritating when trying to have a phone conversation. The noise comes in as soon as the audio jack plug touches any socket to record. Is there any quickfix or handy gadget one can get that will eliminate this noise? Here's a 13 second sample of it - starts with audio plug in, I pull the plug out for a couple of seconds and then push it back in again.:

thanks for any pointers.

Reply to
tg

Typically, when you get a hum or buzz on a telephone, it's because there is a lower than normal impedance to ground in the system. Telephones are meant to have a balanced line, meaning that there is no "ground" connection to either of the two wires. Since your new device introduces the buzz into the system, we can reasonably assume that it has a leakage to ground. This is likely to be through the connection into the recording device, whether it be a cassette recorder, a computer, or whatever.

You have several options. (1) Return the device to the seller as being defective. It shouldn't cause the buzz. (2) Open the device and try to figure out the connections, and where the imbalance is being introduced. (3) Throw the device into the trash and chalk it up to bad experience.

If you choose door #2, you can get an idea of its contents by looking at

or
Relate the innards of your device to the schematics and see which one is closer. Come back with more questions when you have more info.

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

Life is like a roll of toilet paper; the closer it gets to the end, the faster
it goes.
Reply to
DaveM

Is the recorder connected to the AC line? If so, that is likely the cause of the problem. Try using a battery-operated machine.

RadioShack sells a similar device. I've used it several times, and had absolutely no problem.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

thanks I tried that, no joy. I should mention this is a cisco ip phone, not an ordinary phone and it is powered from the mains through a 48v adaptor, so there's no disconnecting it from mains. Even if I disconnect the ethernet cable and switch off everything else the buzz is still there. At this moment I don't have a battery powered recorder, only mains powered units. I think my only solution here is to find some way or device that was specifically made to filter out this buzz, which I think is a standard 50Khz mains buzz. I'm sure I saw something like this once but can't remember where...

Reply to
tg