Making three-way audio switch

Hello all,

This is my first post in this group.

I want to make an audio input switch for my stero system at home.

My sound system only has a single AUX input, although I've got a number of devices that i want selectively amplified through my sound system. I'm currently unplugging/replugging RCA wires, and i'm getting tired of it.

I was originally planning on simply buying 3 pairs of RCA connectors (input1, input2, output) and connecting them to a three-way (on-off-on) switch which could connect the output selectively to input1 or input2 depeding on its position.

But i am wondering how difficult it would be to make a small circuit capable of detecting current in both inputs and just outputting whatever input has a non-zero value, without losing any quality in the audio signal.

If both inputs have a non-zero value, it would just light up a LED to notify me that both inputs are receiving signals at the same time, and that i need to shut one of them off.

Any thoughts or links to web pages? I'm pretty new to designing my own elec circuits. I know what most electronic components do, but don't known how to select them and how to arrange them to make what i want.

thanks for your help

Reply to
Zed Rafi

What you ask is "sorta" possible, but the devil is in the details. Building the basic device to switch lines based upon some detected level is not the problem. The problems come when you consider that you will need to have some switch threshold, so you don't trigger on random noise. But invariably there will be program material that goes below this threshold, even just momentarily. So then you have to start messing with various delays. I'd rate the odds of getting a satisfactory system as pretty low, not worth the effort.

Best regards,

Bob Masta dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom D A Q A R T A Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Home of DaqGen, the FREEWARE signal generator

Reply to
Bob Masta