AT&T sucks

John Larkin:

Well, apart from their start, done by stealing the telephone patent, I cannot disagree. Even when they were monopolists the US telephone service was by far the best and less expensive in the world.

Reply to
F. Bertolazzi

_Bell_ Labs. Previously Herman Affel was a research assistant at MIT with notable papers on skin effect. ...Jim Thompson

Verizon isn't much better. After the rains around Christmas, I noticed a lot of ground noise and some crosstalk on my landline, so I called Verizon tech support. I got a commitment date of 1/10/11! Two weeks just to check the line!

Then, a couple of days ago, it got worse - no dial tone! Called them back, and they said just leave the original ticket. If I filed a NEW ticket for no dial tone, it would be two weeks again!

Back in the day when I worked for them, it was 24 hours on a no dial tone!

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

Call them back and tell them you won't be paying for non-service days and will also complain to the corporation commission (what telco regulators are called here in AZ).

With Qwest I got service within an hour after that call :-) ...Jim Thompson

All the recent heavy rain in California has messed up many lines, so everybody is backlogged. Same thing with roofers: it doesn't rain here between April and November, so all the roof leaks ars discovered about the same time.

John

Hell, I've had an open ticket with Centurylink for a noisy phone line that goes dead for over a year. When they do show up, it's working. It's reached the point that I have a area manager's email address & phone number to bypass the usual crap to report it. I've measured the on hook voltage as low as six volts. It has been as high as 56 volts.

It's a good thing that I have broadband internet and a Magicjack for backup.

--
For the last time:  I am not a mad scientist, I'm just a very ticked off
scientist!!!

[snip]

I had one of those, in the mid '70's.

Lot of run-around, no-fix.

Then, one day, the tech shows up, but he's one of my former employees (technician) at Dickson Electronics (thick film hybrids).

I show him my DVM measurements.

It took him almost all day to find it... an underground vault, three miles away... filled up with water every time it rained :-) ...Jim Thompson

File a PSC complaint. They HATE that.

David Lesher

The CO is about three miles away. I think they have converted most of the line to fiber, and it's old underground copper from there. If so, the transition is a hair under a mile from my house.

--
For the last time:  I am not a mad scientist, I'm just a very ticked off
scientist!!!
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Well, I don't know about coax, but lasers are from 1950's and transistors from 1946. I never liked Unix, either, but now find Linux to be acceptable, although many things in the user interface that have been brought over from Unix shells, etc. are contradictory and irregular from one command to another. Anyway, all of this is from 50+ years ago, and there has been a LONG downward spiral.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Coax came from England ca. 1880.

tm

Reply to
tm

:

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0| =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

ide quoted text -

For some reason, I thought it was Schelkunoff? Guess I either learned it wrong, or didn't pay close enough attention. Of course, he was at Bell Laboratories as well.

Reply to
mpm

,

I guess a downward spiral is still better than free-fall. Sort of like a feather floating to the ground. Almost poetic.

Reply to
mpm

mpm:

Reply to
F. Bertolazzi

F. Bertolazzi:

Sorry, I did mean to quote without adding anything else.

But it's also true that when you fall from high above, you will eventually spiral.

Reply to
F. Bertolazzi

Not if you know how to stay stable in freefall.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise