Anyone make PCBs with Othermill?

The acid test, and a main application, is eye diagrams from differential signals. Some of the diff probes are designed to be soldered into the circuit to be snooped. Good replacement market.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Seems like if you did it enough, it would be cheaper to build your own. Back in the 80s people were building samplers based on electro-optic crystals and picosecond lasers. The bad news was that the circuit had to be synched to the laser rep rate, not the other way round.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Right, you can't trigger a laser with tolerable jitter.

Hypres made a superconductive sampling scope that needed a jug of liquid helium. That didn't last long.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I knew Sadeg Faris slightly--he was a FOAF. That was a pretty cool gizmo.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I think it was a "slideback sampler" like my tunnel-diode college project, an equivalent-time sampler with a 1-bit comparator.

They managed to spray helium onto the sampler substrate that was really, really close to the input SMA.

They're still around:

Shock line samplers are more practical. Research samplers have got to

300 GHz or something crazy like that, but I think the fastest commercial scope is around 100 GHz. At some point, connectors and cables just don't work.