Doesn't anyone make....

Doesn't anyone make cable clips that can be screwed down?

I need to route cabling under a cabinet made of particle board. The stick-on clips hold only a few days, then let go :-( ...Jim Thompson

Stuff a screw through the base of the clip ! Most of the ones I've used have a hole there already.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

There's screw-down cable ties that work very well -- one of my clients uses them in a system that has to fly on helicopters, and that goes beyond a high vibration environment*. Find a big enough supplier of cable ties (i.e. Fry's) and you'll find some screw-down ones.

  • There's a popular misconception that helicopters fly by aerodynamic forces on the rotor blades, leading to their moniker as 'rotary wing vehicle'. This is not correct. Helicopters fly by vibrating so hard that portions of their airframes reach relativistic velocities, thereby creating an anti-gravity effect that causes them to be repelled from the surface of the earth. The blades are there to generate this vibration, and to help control the resulting motion. Anyone who has to make mechanical systems that hold together on a helicopter knows this to be true...
--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

Sno-o-o-ort!

Some years ago I designed a high-voltage logic and control system for MicroRel for a helicopter gunnery application... can't remember the helicopter type name now, but it was McDonnell Douglas... 30V logic for good noise immunity ;-) ...Jim Thompson

                     In wine there is wisdom,
                    In beer there is freedom,
                   In water there is bacteria
                                               - Benjamin Franklin

You can buy them for RG/6 at Harbor Freight, Home Depot or Lowes

400 Piece 3/8" Cable Clips 400 Piece 3/8" Cable Clips
  • Keep loose cords or wires in place * Each clip comes with a nail to tack along baseboard * Handy storage container

Clip dimensions: 0.6" L x 1/4" W x 1/2" H

ITEM 94448-2VGA

$7.99

You could probably find them at K-mart, Wal-mart or target in their electronics department.

--
Off world checks no longer accepted!
Reply to

--
Yeah, they do.
Reply to

Hmmm - I once caught a lift from an air base in Korea to some army post (going up to skydive), and it was quite smooth. Colder than a witch's tit however; the pilot had taken the doors off. =:-O

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

John Fields wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

"P-clips": [url]

Ken

Reply to
Ken Moffett

Yes, Some where in here, amongst the stick on variety.

Martin Riddle

Heres, another link

Cable Tie:

Cable Hold down (plastic):

Martin Riddle

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Nailing will not do? If OK, RS may still carry them.

Reply to
Robert Baer

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0| =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

depending on the diameter of the cable(s), you might also be able to just staple them. Home Depot sells a stapler with rounded staples. Generally 3/8" to 5/16" sizes. Like for stapeling phone cords and TV coax. Should work fine for particle board.

Reply to
mpm

Hi Jim, I finally resorted to a staple gun! Put down sticky clip, staple it to surface, attach tiewraps...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

You have to be real careful with this. Staples have a fairly sharp edge that, if the cord gets much vibration or movement, tends to cut into the cable. Also, if you get it too tight, then it compresses the cable and can lead to impedance mismatches on high speed cables like ethernet, etc.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

I had to make electronics which lived in the engine compartment of a modest construction tractor. The vibration there can easily exceed 10g. Throughole components fail almost instantly: pins are breaking due to metal fatigue. Yet you don't have aviation-like budgets to make it work. But the worst case that I've seen was a piece of elecronics which worked inside the drill head that grinds through rocks...

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

Good idea! I have a power stapler that sees very occasional use for reupholstering... you know how it is, every few years the color scheme in the master bedroom has to change ;-) ...Jim Thompson

                     In wine there is wisdom,
                    In beer there is freedom,
                   In water there is bacteria
                                               - Benjamin Franklin

[...]

Somehow my news server swallows lots of Jim's original posts. Strangely, only Jim's. Yo, Jim, did you tick off anyone in Berlin or throw a snowball over there?

I'd never staple wire. But HD also sells cable ties with a screw lug at the end. So you can zip the tie around the cable, leave it a bit loose, screw down the cable tie and when the whole cable is run hand-tighten the cable run, pull the ties shut, cut excess off, done.

With particle board it's best to drill a pilot hole.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

That's odd, you certainly do reply to my posts all the time.

Which posts did you miss, then catch as a follow-up?

[snip]

I'm having no trouble driving #6 wood screws into it. ...Jim Thompson

                     In wine there is wisdom,
                    In beer there is freedom,
                   In water there is bacteria
                                               - Benjamin Franklin

For example this one. I can see mpm's reply with the usual "Re: Doesn't anyone make...." in the subject line but I cannot see your original post that started this thread. It's not there.

Your answers to my posts and to those of others come through nice and clear. It's a puzzler.

Sure, neither do I. But it'll mash up the particle board hole quite badly. Whenever I did this my dad used to call it "the senseless application of brute force".