Anyone feel the Planet Cooling?

Hi,

with aviation at a near standstill, vastly reduced road traffic, retail businesses & whole industries in hibernation - CO2 production has dropped amazingly.

The Chinese contribution to CO2 and particulate air pollution has similarly dropped and may stay that way for years.

Debts owed to China will likely go unpaid, export products go un-purchased and more foreign manufacturing enterprises based in China pulled out etc.

Foreign investments by Chinese corporations will be halted and maybe Chinese military expansion too.

It's an ill wind ....

BTW:

If some Chinese workers say that are staving, then let them eat bats.....

.... Phil ;-)

Reply to
Phil Allison

Yeah it snowed here late last night about two inches worth, very unusual for late April in New England.

Power cut out briefly, came back on for a minute, then there was the brightest turquoise transformer-fail flash I ever seen lit up the sky somewhere out west of here, and a distant buzz and "Ka-chunk!" noise. Power went down again for a few minutes. Then back up again and seemed fine after that.

Not much snow fell this winter otherwise unusually warm and light winter season. maybe they got complacent on the winter maintenance.

Reply to
bitrex

Folks are talking about liquidating Chinese overseas investments for reparation.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

That might not be the best move. China might retaliate by dumping Treasuries.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Cursitor Doom wrote in news:r7hudf$al9$1@dont- email.me:

for

Or by witholding trade of rare earth minerals and metals and procesed chemical compounds they normally trade in.

because they are warmongering low lifes.

We can slowly pull investments and back away without them becoming alarmed so much.

If we bring chip fab houses back to the US, however, you can count on your electronic product prices going up. I mean complex items, not an LED light bulb.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Revoking their Treasuries is also under discussion. You can't get anywhere near proportionate amounts without doing that.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

If I understand you correctly, that would be de facto *default* - however you want to dress it up. A very dangerous course of action indeed and highly likely to push up borrowing rates for the US at a time when it's already very heavily leveraged.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Although reality is not a social construction, fiat money definitely is.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

So you're saying you're happy for the US to default on its sovereign debt?? Think about the massive implications, Phil.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I'm not advocating anything myself. However, the national debt is now entirely theoretical--it can't ever be repaid.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

Exactly. And defaulting on a substantial part of it on the pretext of taking 'compensation' from China would be seen by the investment community for exactly what it really is. Other countries will start to shun US paper with a substantial risk a dollar collapse to go with it.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Only if they aren't doing the same thing themselves. Nobody paid back money owed to Tsarist Russia after 1917, for instance.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

But there *are* other countries doing the same thing, so a dollar collapse would most likely just be the first in a row of falling dominos. ~This is a favourite topic of the regulars over at Zerohedge. They call it the "Great Reset" and a pretty far-sighted bunch of observers they are, too.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Talk is cheap.

Do you want the Chinese to liquidate US holdings in China? They are pretty sizable these days.

Anymore, pointing a gun at the head of the Chinese needs to take into accou nt that our heads are right next to them. If you think closing businesses in the US for a couple of months creates a depression, wait until you cut a ll trade with China. That will blow us away for decades. In fact, it woul d likely mark the end of the US as a world economic power.

--
  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ricky C

I understand you so much better now.

--
  Rick C.

  -- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ricky C

That's not true. If it were true it would mean we have a limited time to our economy crashing. Well, maybe it is true. I don't care much about the economy. As long as the banks don't fail I'm good.

Do you have your bug out bag ready?

--
  Rick C.

  -+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ricky C

What I mean is that if everybody punishes China, it won't be the same as a default.

Modern monetary theory (MMT) is completely topsy-turvy in classical econonics terms.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

That's possible. But no government is talking about "punishing" China. NONE. This is just a tempest in a teacup started to sell news.

Are you really so gullible as to believe governments are behind this?

--
  Rick C.

  +- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ricky C

I do notice the lack of contrails. (Well when I can see the sky.) I think the contrails lead to a net cooling... there might be some better data on that once planes start flying again.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Well some rampant inflation would 'help' reduce the size of it.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold