Another intense heat wave to roast Western U.S., southwest Canada

Heat dome is moving over Four Corners region, the entire western U.S. and Canada are a disaster area. Temperatures up to 25 degrees above average could dominate most of the West this weekend into next week, with little relief in sight for quite some time. Odds favor anomalously hot and dry conditions to prevail into the fall. INTO THE FALL!

Climate change has gotten deadly. It will get worse. Extreme weather disasters are occurring all over the globe; Like this: In Verkhoyansk, Siberia — usually one of the coldest inhabited places on the planet — the land surface temperature was 118 degrees.

Fred Bloggs

Some people are dominated by fear. Some people design electronics. There is a definite negative correlation.

Makes sense there would be.

Reply to
jlarkin

and

Sounds like a bifurcation of the population. Some people read the news and get terrified, some people don't (don't read the news, or don't get scared by it.)

Some people design electronics, and some don't.

Reply to
jlarkin

Please post this off-topic stuff in

we.are.all.going.to.die.and.it.is.your.fault.con

John

Reply to
John Robertson

No, that's not the situation. Weather models predict weather, some people report what the weather models tell us. Fear and electronics don't belong in that context.

Reply to
whit3rd

Some people like to talk about electronics. Some people like to talk about important issues. Some people just like to rag about anything other people do.

COVID is an serious, immediate problem. The fact that the current numbers have dropped to low levels does not mean we can stop fighting the disease. The fact that climate change is a slow ongoing process does not mean we should ignore it until it becomes an immediate problem.

Some people can only understand things they can see and touch in the present, unable to comprehend the nature of large events or distant consequences. But hey, we need people who can design electronics even if they can't grasp the consequences of their actions. Fortunately we don't need so many of them so those who can actually think will take care of the important business for them.

BTW, we seem to see 88 to 90 degrees every day in Puerto Rico. I'm looking at renting a mountain location in August where it is more like 82 each day. Many houses have no AC as the tile floors cool off at night and help keep the home in the 70s all day. The place I'm moving to this month is by the shore.

Reply to
Rick C

We are seeing "nominal" temperatures for this time of year -- after seeing above average temperatures in earlier months (i.e., Summer comes sooner). Presently in the "low hundreds" (which I always find amusing; is that 100, 200, 300?)

Humidity (we are now in Monsoon for the past ~3 weeks) makes such an incredible difference in comfort (DIScomfort?). The 110+ temps are much easier to handle than the more humid 100's. I forget just how miserable it was living in places where you had to shower three times a day to feel "clean"!

OTOH, the storms are absolutely delightful to watch! When I first came here, I used to think folks "odd" for dropping whatever they were doing JUST to watch the rain. With time, you learn to appreciate the appeal! (over an inch in a few hours the other day; 6" of standing water in the back yard while it was raining!)

Reply to
Don Y

That article says turning off potentially disturbing news is more monkey-like.

There are people who can assimilate information regardless of whether it is good or bad. Bad events don't upset them or evoke a hysterical emotional reaction.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Design something. Post it here.

Unless you are afraid.

Why does it bother Larkin so much what other people talk about? A rather large portion of the off topic posts are either Larkin posting off topic because it's something he wants to discuss or because he is complaining about others posting off topic. Sometimes he seems almost hysterical in his protestations of other's off topic posts, so that he has to project his own emotions onto others.

Is the guy really of two personalities? I'm surprised he doesn't complain about his own posts, but no, he's far too much an egomaniac to do that.

Reply to
Rick C

Ignoring alarmist nonsense is perfectly rational. It can materially improve the quality on one's life.

Know any?

I'm still waiting for John's design of my gesture recognizer.

I guess *HE's* afraid (or incompetent)

Reply to
Don Y

Buy a camera. Write some software. That's not what I do.

Treating useful information as alarmist nonsense can materially shorten your life. About the only way that global warming can shorten our lives at the moment is by making disaster more likely. Bush fires in Australia and forest fires in the US have only killed a few people, and knowing about climate change probably wouldn't have saved them. Tropical cyclones kill more people, and global warming seems likely to make them more intense (killing more people) than more frequent. Knowing about climate change might persuade people to take early warnings of incipient cyclones more seriously.

It's what scientific training is intended to inculcate. I know quite a few people who have been trained to process information that way. John Larkin would seem to want avoid them. He's certainly rude the people who post that kind of reaction here.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman